Page 16 of 25 [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next

Autonomous_Bay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2019, 9:37 pm

Mindsets are like an egregore. I've witnessed this in medical academia mostly. It's a pri motive sort of logic. Take for example, Loretta Graziano Breuning. She isn't part of liberal academia and experiences so much bias and prejudice that her groundbreaking method of managing anxiety is ignored like a Mexican in Cambodia.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 4:11 pm

Should White Boys Still Be Allowed to Talk?

When you ask a question at a lecture, is it secretly just your opinion ending with the phrase “do you agree?” If so, your name is something like Jake, or Chad, or Alex, and you were taught that your voice is the most important in every room. Somewhere along your academic journey, you decided your search for intellectual validation was more important than the actual exchange of information. Now how do you expect to actually learn anything?

American society tells men, but especially white men, that their opinions have merit and that their voice is valuable, but after four years of listening to white boys in college, I am not so convinced. In my time at Dickinson I have listened to probably hundreds of white boys talk. It feels incessant. From classes and lectures, to the news and politics, there is an endless line of white boys waiting to share their opinions on the state of feminism in America, whether the LGBTQ+ population finally has enough rights, the merits of capitalism, etc. The list of what white boys think they are qualified to talk about is endless. Something very few of them seem to understand is that their (ill-informed, uncritical) opinions do not constitute truth. In fact, most often their opinions aren’t even original. White boys spout the narrative of dominant ideologies and pretend they’re hot takes instead of the same misleading garbage shoved down our throats by American institutions from birth.

I am so g****mned tired of listening to white boys.

https://thedickinsonian.com/opinion/201 ... d-to-talk/

There Are Four Lights!

Autonomous_Bay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2019, 9:26 pm

Everyone should be allowed to have their perceptive heard, even if they seem to be looking for validation. Humans as well as many other mammals compare themselves to their peers in an attempt to gauge their reception and see how they fit into the world, perhaps seek ways to build alliances to improve on existing modes or try to seek a network which can help them launch innovations.

Liberal acadrmia tries to disallow innovators to change the status quo. This is criminal ponzee scheming in medicine, education, psychiatry, and so on....

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 3:57 pm

Can you please give us an example of this liberal conspiracy?

All I see is a bunch of Republicans throwing around blame without the slightest hint of substance. Academia exists so we can all learn, if your politics don't favor your learning anything, academia can't really help you, so you blame it for your own bias.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:51 pm

"Is their a Leftist Agenda in Academia?"

In one word: YES, definitely

Elaboration: it's not a black and white yes. Some uni's are leaning more to the right, some slightly to the left, some are extreme leftists. I've studied at a few places (one of which was more conservative leaned, other radical left) and heard accounts from my professors that were lecturers in America and France. I was told from their experiences that generally speaking more institutions they recall hold a clear leftist agenda.

Personally I had a bad experience at my BA uni where a high ranking professor did something literally illegal by copying a private letter I had written (that was definitely NOT hate speech, or racism, or anything disrespectful...also it was not addressed towards no person in particular actually but it did not suit her radical leftist opinion which is well known),she was showing it to other professors and speaking to me personally stating my message was "leaked" by an anonymous individual ("fellow" student) whom obviously she didn't mention by name and she shut me down in a private talk.

I consulted with friends and I was told shutting mouths in academia especially when this is a private message and not an open public forum/conversation is highly illegal thus I wrote a letter to the minister of education stating which laws she violated and describing the whole incident. I never got a response. funny, that same minister was a rightist but also a moron, I would have thought he would love to jump on the opportunity to bash the left for me but I guess he's more busy earning $$ doing nothing.

true story. I ended up shutting up not confronting that professor in person who was then head of department cause I wanted my degree (was my last BA year didn't want her vendetta)

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 8:57 am

Of course there's a leftist slant to higher "education", and state controlled "education" in general. How else would there be so many idiots chanting "take away our basic natural rights for the sake of supposed peace and safety!"?

But both SJWs and SJ types are the useful idiots of the oligarchs in power, with the artificial divide in place to ensure we're fighting each other with hurled elephants and psittacisms while they rob us blind either through the theft of taxation or the extortion of unilateral contracts in the manner of James 5:1-6. The ones in power steal ever more, while they set us at odds against each other and laugh.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 9:06 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
But both SJWs and SJ types are the useful idiots of the oligarchs in power, with the artificial divide in place to ensure we're fighting each other with hurled elephants and psittacisms while they rob us blind either through the theft of taxation or the extortion of unilateral contracts in the manner of James 5:1-6. The ones in power steal ever more, while they set us at odds against each other and laugh.

Identity is how you win votes without doing a thing of substance for those votes.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 2:11 pm

This may really belong in a different thread, "Is there a personality-disorder problem in academia?"

Professor says she plays “chicken” with men while walking to empower women

A feminist educator in the United Kingdom is making a point not to step aside when men walk in her direction, playing what she refers to as “patriarchy chicken.”

Dr. Charlotte Riley, a lecturer and historian of twentieth century labour party politics, managed to get her Twitter post turned into an op-ed on New Statesman America, an offshoot of the left-leaning, London-based New Statesman publication.

The idea of patriarchy chicken is as follows: by refusing to move out of the way to avoid collision with men going in the opposite direction, women are somehow empowering themselves.

“A few days ago, I was having a bad morning: my train tickets were expensive, my train was delayed, and my coffee was cold,” Riley wrote. “But I cheered myself up by playing a game on my commute. The game is called Patriarchy Chicken, and the rules are simple: do not move out of the way for men.”

If that sounds like something that would be ungentlemanly conduct if perpetrated by a man, you would be correct in your assessment. Generally speaking, people will go to great lengths to avoid a collision, and will often create disorganized chaos as they humorously attempt to bob and weave out of each other’s way.

For Riley, however, it’s about fighting the so-called patriarchy.

https://www.thepeoplesledger.com/profes ... wer-women/

There Are Four Lights!

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 12:46 pm

Why doesn't far-left have the same stigma as far-right?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 11:47 pm

The dangerous silence in higher education
Samuel J. Abrams is professor of politics at Sarah Lawrence College and a visiting scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.

Quote:
It’s well known that the question of who can speak and on what topics has become a flashpoint for controversy on our nation’s college and university campuses.

I experienced intimidation firsthand after publishing an op-ed in the New York Times in which I questioned some of seemingly liberal, lopsided programming at Sarah Lawrence College (one of the most proudly progressive schools, where I am a tenured professor). I suggested that more balance was needed given our polarized times and reiterated my concerns about collegiate ideological echo chambers.

Within hours, my office door and surrounding corridor was vandalized. Pictures of my family were taken and bumper stickers that I had placed on the door to create a welcoming environment for students were stripped off. The vandals covered my door and surrounding hallway area with hateful paraphernalia intended to intimidate me into leaving the school. I received subsequent threats, and an alumna I have never met claims to be actively working on ways to ‘ruin my life’ while many others are demanding that my tenure be stripped all because I wrote a relatively tame article with which they disagree.

Following the defacement of my door, I was disappointed by the lack of a clear stand against violence and intimidation, and the lack of support for academic freedom and diversity of thought I expected from the College administrators. In fact, a note I received from a College official described the act as ‘alleged vandalism.’

There is a culture at Sarah Lawrence College which is regularly reinforced by various students, faculty, and administrators: tacitly regulate what topics are open to debate and identify which questions should simply be overlooked for fear that asking them could lead to significant negative consequences.

This attitude may be widespread.

A new national survey, entitled ‘Most US College Students Afraid to Disagree with Professors’, was commissioned by the William F. Buckley, Jr. Program at Yale, to distill how college students feel about the freedom to speak on campus. The results reveal that a majority of students not only feel intimidated about sharing their beliefs if they disagree with the faculty member teaching the course, but also that a majority of them worry about speaking up if their views seemingly conflict with their peers.

Regardless of politics and values, this is an absolutely terrifying finding because campuses are the spaces where ideas should be voiced, challenged, and debated. Knowing that a large number of students are afraid to ask questions and share their ideas means that the very core of higher education is at stake.

It’s not just students who are afraid. The fear of speaking truths or questioning others now silences the faculty, who are meant to be thought leaders on campus. Conservative faculty members are the most at risk.

In a 2017 national survey of faculty, 71 percent of faculty agreed with the statement, ‘[I] feel comfortable sharing my opinion on my college campus’ [with other faculty members]. This number drops to 60 percent for those who identify as conservative and jumps to 82 percent for those who are liberal. When asked, ‘Are you reluctant to express your political beliefs to your colleagues for fear of negative consequences?’ 93 percent of liberal faculty had no issue expressing their political beliefs to their colleagues compared to two-thirds of conservative professors.

Faculty were also asked, ‘How often, if at all, have you avoided expressing a particular point of view on an issue because you expected a negative reaction from other students or faculty?’ Two-thirds of conservative professors stated that they simply avoided sharing their opinions because of negative reactions compared to just one-third of liberals. This significant difference is strong evidence that viewpoint diversity is being silenced. Conservative professors – an endangered minority on campus – are well aware of the possible ramifications of sharing their views and fear professional repercussions for disagreeing with their liberal faculty and administrative colleagues.

After three weeks of me and countless others asking for the college president to take the right position, she finally issued a statement in support of free speech where she asserted that, ‘Academic freedom is a fundamental principle of Sarah Lawrence College. That means, as a member of our faculty, Professor Sam Abrams has a right, and the full support of the College, to pursue and publish his work.’ The president also condemned the vandalism and threats of violence, but it is hard to say if students accept my right to speech. Hostile online chatter on the part of various faculty, staff, and students continues.

My safety was at greater risk during those three weeks between my op-ed and the president’s response. While Groups such as PEN America and FIRE issued strong statements in support of my right to write, they should not have had to – the College has stated institutional values of civility, mutual respect and expression but knowingly threw free speech under the bus at my expense. They need to be strongly reinforced and repeated whenever they are threatened and they were not for too long.

My recent incident and the data tell a clear story. Our colleges and universities have become places of intimidation for both students and faculty alike and this fact represents a real existential threat to the health of both higher education and intellectual inquiry as an exercise. Everyone should have a voice and be able to ask questions and examine the world around us, even if the questions cause upset. The American education system has been the anchor for civility and our democratic polity since before the nation’s founding.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 2:38 am

Darmok wrote:
This may really belong in a different thread, "Is there a personality-disorder problem in academia?"

Professor says she plays “chicken” with men while walking to empower women

A feminist educator in the United Kingdom is making a point not to step aside when men walk in her direction, playing what she refers to as “patriarchy chicken.”

Dr. Charlotte Riley, a lecturer and historian of twentieth century labour party politics, managed to get her Twitter post turned into an op-ed on New Statesman America, an offshoot of the left-leaning, London-based New Statesman publication.

The idea of patriarchy chicken is as follows: by refusing to move out of the way to avoid collision with men going in the opposite direction, women are somehow empowering themselves.

“A few days ago, I was having a bad morning: my train tickets were expensive, my train was delayed, and my coffee was cold,” Riley wrote. “But I cheered myself up by playing a game on my commute. The game is called Patriarchy Chicken, and the rules are simple: do not move out of the way for men.”

If that sounds like something that would be ungentlemanly conduct if perpetrated by a man, you would be correct in your assessment. Generally speaking, people will go to great lengths to avoid a collision, and will often create disorganized chaos as they humorously attempt to bob and weave out of each other’s way.

For Riley, however, it’s about fighting the so-called patriarchy.

https://www.thepeoplesledger.com/profes ... wer-women/

<male chauvinism mode activated>
Could you supply a photo of her?...
I might not mind bumping into her, so to speak... :wink:

If someone does this crap to me, male or female, I simply stop walking and see what happens... 8)

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 6:36 pm

They have created a world so insulated from diversity that they are always shocked when they encounter it. And they have no comprehension that their own bubble-world could ever collapse (which is why they won't see the collapse coming.)

Harvard’s Glass Menagerie

Over the weekend, I met a friend in Cambridge, Mass., for lunch. He’s a foreigner studying at Harvard. He told me that his experience there has been quite an education in how the American elite constructs its worldview and reproduces itself. In fact, that is perhaps the most important lesson he has learned from his experience at the top US university.

I’m writing this with his permission, but I want to be careful about what I say, to protect his privacy. In general, he said it has been a real shock to him — and to the other foreign students in his circle — to observe how “coercive” (his word) the intellectual atmosphere at Harvard is, at least in the areas he’s been studying. He explained that it is quite simply impossible to discuss certain things, and ask certain questions, because of the ideological rigidity of the American students and their teachers. My friend made clear that this is the consensus view of the foreigners he knows there, whether they are on the left or the right.

My lunch companion said that the elites formed by this most elite American university are people who have set up a world in which they never have to encounter an idea, or a person, that they don’t already endorse or embrace.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... menagerie/

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 8:34 pm

The left-wing education establishment's main interest seems to be in laying the groundwork for a race war.

Racial Resentment As Pedagogy
Education researchers seem far more interested in “interrogating whiteness” than in developing methodologies to help black students improve their skills.

This weekend, more than 14,000 academics will gather in Toronto to share their research for the American Educational Research Association’s annual conference. In past years, I’ve documented the focus of AERA academics on matters that seem only obliquely connected to curriculum, instruction, and policy. It looks like more of the same this year, from the symposium on “Liberating Oppressed Ontologies and Cosmologies for Transformational Praxis” to the paper “Queer Evolution: (Re)invigorating Environmental Education through Queer Interpretations of Evolutionary Onto-Epistemological Choreography.”...

A keyword search of the conference program reveals 422 hits for whiteness—more than for “personalized learning” (16), “school boards” (19), “standardized testing” (20), “high school graduation” (23) “reading achievement” (24), “digital learning” (25), “policy analysis” (31), “early education” (38), “teacher evaluation” (41) “literacy instruction” (42), “bilingual education” (48), and “achievement gap” (75) combined.

https://www.city-journal.org/education-policy-whiteness

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 5:17 pm

What’s Controversial and What Isn’t in the Academy?
Jonathan Marks, a contributor to Commentary’s blog, is professor of politics at Ursinus College

Quote:
According to Newsweek, Johnny E. Williams, a professor of sociology at Connecticut’s Trinity College, recently declared that “whiteness is terrorism.” He added that “self-identified white people” “are “invested in and collude with systemic white racism and white supremacy.”

Williams told Newsweek that “if someone is black, they can become white too.” That helps explain why Williams said on Facebook that “‘white’ kneegrows really need a lot of therapy and a good ‘ol a** kicking.’” Among those “white kneegrows” are conservatives, like Candace Owens, and liberal non-radicals, like Barack and Michelle Obama. This is the second time Williams has drawn attention to himself on social media in roughly this way.

Perhaps he should, as the kids say, delete his account.

No, Williams can’t and shouldn’t be fired for his comments. In order to protect the system of open inquiry that generates and tests our best ideas, we forgo giving administrators, trustees, and legislators the power to shut professors up. If we remember this when provocative conservative speakers are invited to campus, we should remember it when a radical left-wing professor says something lamentable on social media.

Probably, too, there will be death threats, as there have been in the past. Unlike William’s speech, true threats are not protected by the First Amendment. If we want to see schools crack down on those who disrupt speakers, we should doubly want the police to crack down on those who threaten to harm professors and their families for speaking.

The funny thing about this story is how Williams defended his remarks. “They’re not controversial in the academy,” he said.

In one sense, that’s probably not true. Having been in colleges and universities for two decades, I’m confident most professors find comments of the sort Williams made puzzling at best. Most, but not all. Even before Trump and Charlottesville, it was probably easier to assert, in a conversation with faculty members, that 21st century America is a white supremacist enterprise than it was to challenge that assertion.

That might help explain the other controversy now going on at Trinity over Western civilization. A group of students is seeking recognition for the Churchill Club, which promotes the study of Western civilization by sponsoring reading groups and hosting speakers. The club is affiliated with an outside organization, the Churchill Institute, whose rhetoric is conservative. That has been enough to provoke feverish opposition, which has at times taken shameful forms.

Individual students involved with the club have been targeted: “Flyers with their pictures have been circulated on campus with the heading ‘The new racism is as ugly as the old.’” Two town halls have been required to air grievances and to answer the question, which would be simple as a matter of law if Trinity were a public university, of whether the student government should practice viewpoint discrimination when it decides to recognize a club.

A sensible administration might step in and gently explain that private universities shouldn’t practice such discrimination either. Instead, Trinity’s administrators have—I wish I were making this up—asked the student government to delay a vote on the Churchill Club until they can hire an outside consultant to help sort things out. The student government, treating the administration with all the respect it merits under the circumstances, has decided to vote anyway and will do so on Saturday.

Whatever the results of that vote may be, this controversy tells us something about what is and isn’t controversial at Trinity College and places like it. While Williams’s comments have generated external criticisms, they appear to have disturbed the campus not at all. Trinity’s administration, which made a mistake placing Williams on leave the last time, has now figured out that it must defend the academic freedom of its faculty members, even its foolhardy ones.

By contrast, the desire of students to advance the study of Western civilization has generated a controversy so intense that the campus and the administrators charged with tending to it are in complete disarray.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 9:09 am

It's a lot like the old USSR, where nobody could get a job unless they were members of the Communist Party, and anyone who wasn't a Party member was socially marginalized.

Secular universities now demand a ‘profession of faith’

Many religious universities have historically used “statements of faith” to uphold their religious mission. But while such policies are on the wane, a different sort of religious statement is increasingly common at secular colleges — namely, the statement of diversity.

Professors and other faculty members are asked to pledge their commitment to “equity” and “inclusion” and to demonstrate how they have acted to fulfill this pledge in the past. And much as with the religious version, the goal of these policies is to ensure uniformity of belief.

Consider the University of California, Los Angeles. To be considered for tenure-track positions, applicants are required to write a full statement outlining their commitment to diversity. According to UCLA guidelines, the extent to which a professor promotes equity, diversity and inclusion is a key factor in making progress on the tenure track.

Promoting these ideals “is inseparable from how the University of California conceives of ‘merit,’ ” the school says. UC Riverside, UC San Diego and UC Berkeley all require similar diversity statements.

At Vassar, tenure-track candidates have to report their “contributions to social justice.” Applicants at the University of Minnesota-Duluth must “demonstrate ability to support the university’s commitment to equity and diversity.” Vanderbilt, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Washington and the University of Nebraska all instruct their professors on how to write ­effective diversity statements.

Many schools have instituted other systems to promote the latest woke ideologies. At Villanova University, a new policy asks students to rate their teachers on whether they have demonstrated “cultural awareness” and created an “environment free of bias based on individual differences or social identities.”

Faculty at Harvard’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences were recently required to submit reports detailing their actions in support of “diversity, inclusion and belonging.” Teachers’ ability to demonstrate wokeness will affect the assignment of future bonuses, per the school’s dean.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/secular-u ... -of-faith/

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 10:09 am

Darmok wrote:
It's a lot like the old USSR, where nobody could get a job unless they were members of the Communist Party, and anyone who wasn't a Party member was socially marginalized.

Secular universities now demand a ‘profession of faith’

Many religious universities have historically used “statements of faith” to uphold their religious mission. But while such policies are on the wane, a different sort of religious statement is increasingly common at secular colleges — namely, the statement of diversity.

Professors and other faculty members are asked to pledge their commitment to “equity” and “inclusion” and to demonstrate how they have acted to fulfill this pledge in the past. And much as with the religious version, the goal of these policies is to ensure uniformity of belief.

Consider the University of California, Los Angeles. To be considered for tenure-track positions, applicants are required to write a full statement outlining their commitment to diversity. According to UCLA guidelines, the extent to which a professor promotes equity, diversity and inclusion is a key factor in making progress on the tenure track.

Promoting these ideals “is inseparable from how the University of California conceives of ‘merit,’ ” the school says. UC Riverside, UC San Diego and UC Berkeley all require similar diversity statements.

At Vassar, tenure-track candidates have to report their “contributions to social justice.” Applicants at the University of Minnesota-Duluth must “demonstrate ability to support the university’s commitment to equity and diversity.” Vanderbilt, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Washington and the University of Nebraska all instruct their professors on how to write ­effective diversity statements.

Many schools have instituted other systems to promote the latest woke ideologies. At Villanova University, a new policy asks students to rate their teachers on whether they have demonstrated “cultural awareness” and created an “environment free of bias based on individual differences or social identities.”

Faculty at Harvard’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences were recently required to submit reports detailing their actions in support of “diversity, inclusion and belonging.” Teachers’ ability to demonstrate wokeness will affect the assignment of future bonuses, per the school’s dean.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/secular-u ... -of-faith/

Communism is the basis or root ideology of the regressive left.