Page 1 of 25 [ 395 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 6:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know someone, a lifelong New Yorker, who is, "hook, line and sinker," into the anti-liberal agenda. He HATES liberals.

He's a professor of English, too. LOL

But we'll need to keep one or two breeding pairs of liberals for each major city zoo...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 7:06 pm

Okay, that thing my brain does with words ...

Q: Is there a leftist agenda in academia?
A: Are there academics in the leftist agenda?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 8:24 am

Just because there are some Leftists in Academia doesn't mean there is a generalized "Leftist" agenda in Academia.

There are some outright Marxists in Academia. But there are some outright Marxists in other walks of life, too.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 10:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
... outright Marxists ...
Hmm, outright, left out ... I wonder if the left out Marxists ever get resentful enough to become neocons out of spite? :wink:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 1:33 pm

One of the most important civil rights organizations in the US today is the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE). Their president, Greg Lukianoff, was earlier today testifying before Congress about suppression of students' free speech rights on college campuses across the US. His full testimony is here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/58e ... f7e0e6e0ba

And here's an excerpt:

My organization, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, or “FIRE,” was founded in 1999 to defend free speech, academic freedom, and due process on America’s college campuses. FIRE is a principled, nonpartisan nonprofit and this is reflected in both our staff and the cases we take. For example, our litigation project has recently defended the right of students to protest animal cruelty, and advocate for pot legalization, Second Amendment rights, and more.

Just last week, we filed a lawsuit against Los Angeles Pierce College in California, which told a student that if he wanted to engage in free speech activities, he had to limit himself to a tiny “free speech zone.” The zone comprised only .003% of the campus. Put another way, if Pierce College were the size of a tennis court, free speech would be restricted to an area the size of a cell phone.

Since our founding in 1999, FIRE has fought “free speech zones”—efforts by administrators to quarantine freedom of speech to tiny areas. And we’ve defeated many of them, including Texas Tech’s infamous “free speech gazebo,” the University of Hawaii at Hilo’s “free speech swamp,” and this sad little one at Blinn College, which was divided into even smaller halves by a bulletin board. Many institutions even require advance permission for students to speak inside the zones: For example, the University of Cincinnati asked for 10 working days’ notice.

There Are Four Lights!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 4:38 pm

Yes most Universities are liberal and so push the liberal agenda. Same with public schools. My local school teaches kids that owning any gun is illegal. Certainly come a long way since I went there. Teachers didn't talk politics when I was in high school

Now you see a lot of schools talking politics.

And they change books to state their alternative view of history so it supports liberal beliefs

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2017, 5:48 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I imagine professors get more conservative the harder the science and more connected the subject is to an actual job.

According to this study geologists tend to be conservative, but every other type of scientist tends to be liberal: http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

There most definitely was a leftist agenda in the university I attended.
I debated more than one of my liberal professors ...
Publicly. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 6:07 pm

Where I went to college, if somebody tried to impose their political beliefs on a class, they were canned.

Saying this, many of the liberal arts professors were relatively liberal in politics. In other fields, though, many were not liberal at all.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 9:10 pm

I was listening to another Jonathan Haidt interview this morning and it sounds like this isn't happening at commuter schools. Really it's Ivy League and the like where the majority of students are the canonical 18-22/24 straight from high school and dorming.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 12:51 am

Well I was kicked off a forum for a similar post, the reason being bigotry towards Arab Muslims. Turns out their might be a leftist agenda in Forums too. :lol:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 4:39 am

Define "leftist agenda".

Universities are places of higher learning. Meaning, we do not know the nature of that which is before us, and must thoroughly investigate it to form a better understanding of it. Thus it is necessary to be receptive to considering as potential truths, that which we might be adverse to, or that which might conflict with our personal truths.

In this way, to a very conservative person, universities might be perceived as having a liberal bias, at least to conservatives who cherish tradition and dislike complexities, preferring instead to simplify things into binary issues.

Do you have raging far left liberals at universities? Yes. But there are also those who are very conservative as well. You just don't hear much from them because they tend to be less politically active and tend to study things like business, and STEM.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 5:25 am

Chronos,

It's a bad enough problem that it's causing center-left liberals to jump into action in defense of academic viewpoint diversity.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 5:52 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
It's a bad enough problem that it's causing center-left liberals to jump into action in defense of academic viewpoint diversity.
Added video to YouTube list to look at later since 05:51 is a little early for me to be thinking deeply.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 3:00 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Chronos,

In all of my time in academia, I seldom encountered anything political. Occasionally there would be a far left student protest, but these were small and one could go about their business around campus without realizing a protest was occurring somewhere. To find these far left politically vocal liberals, one had to intentionally go looking for them.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 3:41 am

sly279 wrote:
Yes most Universities are liberal and so push the liberal agenda. Same with public schools. My local school teaches kids that owning any gun is illegal. Certainly come a long way since I went there. Teachers didn't talk politics when I was in high school

Now you see a lot of schools talking politics.

And they change books to state their alternative view of history so it supports liberal beliefs

Yeah, in high school we were taught the "right to bear arms" in the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution, meant ships could bear their armaments.