Page 18 of 25 [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 7:02 pm

People need to wake up and understand that the left/"liberals" are also as cruel and resentful to those who are different from them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 5:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Teachers allegedly told to favor black students in ‘racial equity’ training
Quote:
In controversial “implicit bias” training, New York City’s public-school educators have been told to focus on black children over white ones — and one Jewish superintendent who described her family’s Holocaust tragedies was scolded and humiliated, according to firsthand accounts.

A consultant hired by the city Department of Education told administrators at a workshop that “racial equity” means favoring black children regardless of their socio-economic status, sources said.

“If I had a poor white male student and I had a middle-class black boy, I would actually put my equitable strategies and interventions into that middle class black boy because over the course of his lifetime he will have less access and less opportunities than that poor white boy,” the consultant, Darnisa Amante, is quoted as saying by those in the room.

“That’s what racial equity is,” Amante explained.

DOE spokesman Will Mantell would not say whether Chancellor Richard Carranza supports Amante’s statement about favoring black children.

“Anti-bias and equity trainings are about creating high expectations and improving outcomes for all of our students,” Mantell said in a statement. “These trainings are used across the country because they help kids, and out-of-context quotes and anonymous allegations just distract from this important work.”

The DOE’s anti-bias training — a $23 million mandatory program for all DOE employees — has irked some administrators, teachers and parents who contend parts are ugly and divisive.

Four white female DOE executives demoted under Carranza’s new regime plan to sue the city for racial discrimination, claiming whiteness has become “toxic,” The Post revealed last week.

At a monthly superintendents meeting in the spring of 2018, shortly after Carranza’s arrival, members were asked to share answers to the question: “What lived experience inspires you as a leader to fight for equity?”

One Jewish superintendent shared stories about her grandmother Malka who told of bombs falling in Lodz, Poland, and running from the Nazis in the wee hours by packing up her four children and hiding in the forest, and her grandfather Naftali, who spent nearly six years in a labor and concentration camp, where he witnessed the brutal execution of his mother and sister.

“My grandparents taught me to understand the dangers of ‘targeted racism’ or the exclusion of any group, and the importance of equity for all people. This is my core value as an educator,” the superintendent told colleagues.

“At the break, I stood up and, to my surprise, I was verbally attacked by a black superintendent in front of my colleagues. She said ‘This is not about being Jewish! It’s about black and brown boys of color only. You better check yourself.’”

“I was traumatized,” the Jewish educator said. “ It was like 1939 all over again. I couldn’t believe this could happen to me in NYC!”

However, two other superintendents — one black and one Dominican — defended the Holocaust comments as valid and vouched for their colleague as one who fights to level the playing field for all students.

In Manhattan, a middle-school teacher with her own kids in public schools, said the DOE training “is a catalyst for hate and division.”

“I have colleagues who won’t participate during ‘Courageous Conversations’ (the DOE protocol for implicit-bias workshops) because they don’t feel safe.”

She cringes at training phrases like “replacement thinking” and the disdain for “whiteness.”

“My ancestors were enslaved and murdered because of their religion, I am now being forced to become ‘liberated’ from my whiteness. I am being persecuted because of the circumstances of my birth. I was not aware that I needed to be liberated from how God created me.”

Despite Carranza’s contention that those who complain about the training need it the most, she said, “I will never be brainwashed by Richard Carranza and his minions. I cannot support a schools chancellor who is implicitly biased against me and my children.”

Emboldened by his support, some of Carranza’s top managers openly use the expression “disrupt and dismantle” as a new battle cry for equity.

In her training session in February 2019, consultant Amante told DOE higher-ups to face the fact that issues of race, power and privilege will rise to the forefront and shake things up.

“Through this process of moving towards racial equity, we will have to pull layers back on who we are. You are going to have to talk about your power and your privilege. You will need to name your privilege,” Amante is quoted as saying.

She also warned that jobs in the new climate may be shaky.

“You are going to have to acknowledge that you will have to step back. You might fear losing your job. When we get to true racial equity you will have to define new institutional policies. This might feel dangerous because you are going to have to talk about race daily.”

Amante, a lecturer at Harvard University Graduate School of Education, is CEO of Disruptive Equity Education Project, or DEEP, a group aimed at “dismantling systemic oppression and racism,” it says. She did not respond to emails seeking comment.

The DOE’s Office of Equity and Access has contracted DEEP for $175,000. Another anti-bias consultant, Glenn Singleton, the author of “Courageous Conversations,” which includes a critique of the “white supremacy culture,” has a $775,000 contract.

Some parent leaders support Carranza’s campaign.

“We agree with the chancellor that those who do not see the value in this work are the ones who must look inward harder,” said Shino Tanikawa, a parent in Manhattan’s District 2 and member of Mayor de Blasio’s School Diversity Advisory Group.

“This work requires everyone, including people of color, to look inward and confront prejudices we all harbor. For some of us, this work also requires us to acknowledge the privilege bestowed upon us by the power structure. It creates a great deal of discomfort but that is the nature of the work. Disrupting the system is difficult and sometimes painful.”

Bombshell suit claims Carranza’s ‘toxic’ whiteness purge cost DOE execs their jobs
Quote:
Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza’s crusade against “toxic” whiteness at the city Department of Education created an “Us vs. Them’’ culture that saw three longtime officials demoted in favor of less-qualified persons of color, a blockbuster $90 million lawsuit claims.

“If you draw a paycheck from DOE … get on board with my equity platform or leave,” Carranza thundered to employees assembled in the rotunda of the agency’s Lower Manhattan headquarters last June, according to the suit, filed Tuesday in state supreme court.

That “totalitarian threat” was just the most direct example of Carranza’s push to overhaul the leadership at the top and attitude throughout the DOE since he took the helm last year, claims the suit, levied against the department and Carranza by the trio of demoted white female executives.

“Under Carranza’s leadership, DOE has swiftly and irrevocably silenced, sidelined and punished plaintiffs and other Caucasian female DOE employees on the basis of their race, gender and unwillingness to accept their other colleagues’ hateful stereotypes about them,” wrote the group’s lawyer, Davida S. Perry, in the filing.

Plaintiff Lois Herrera, who started at the DOE in 1986 as a guidance counselor and worked her way up to lead its Office of Safety and Youth Development, claims in the suit that she saw a sea change almost immediately after Mayor Bill de Blasio appointed Carranza in April 2018.

A month later, LaShawn Robinson, then the executive director of the DOE’s Office of Equity and Access, purportedly told white attendees of a training seminar that they “had to take a step back and yield to colleagues of color” and “recognize that values of white culture are supremacist,” Herrera heard from a fellow administrator, according to the suit.

At another scheduled event, in August, Herrera saw Robinson’s alleged attitude for herself.

“If you’ve been with the DOE for more than 20 years, you are responsible for the problem,” Robinson, who is black, allegedly said.

Despite being Harvard-educated and having been recognized as recently as 2017 for contributing to the “safest year on record” in city schools, Herrera was abruptly stripped of her title and demoted three levels “to essentially the bottom of the … group she formerly led,” the suit says.

Without so much as a formal search or interview process, Herrera was replaced by an African American man, Mark Rampersant, despite him being “demonstrably less qualified,” the suit claims.

Herrera said she was “required” to attend Rampersant’s promotion ceremony. Her repeated requests for a new workstation were met with her belongings being stuffed into boxes and stashed under a headquarters stairwell before she was ultimately transferred to the Bronx.

The Department of Education responded to The Post on Tuesday with the exact statement it gave two weeks ago when asked about the race issue.

“We hire the right people to get the job done for kids and families, and these claims of ‘reverse racism’ have no basis in fact,’ ’’ the department repeated.

Richard Carranza denies white execs demoted based on race
Quote:
City Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza on Wednesday refused to directly address claims of anti-white discrimination outlined in a $90 million lawsuit by three Department of Education executives, but insisted the allegations are “absolutely not true.”

“We have the truth on our side, so allegations can be made,” said Carranza, when asked Wednesday about the suit at a Bronx event announcing the availability of free summer meals for city kids. “It’s absolutely not true.”

Carranza insisted Wednesday that the sweeping leadership changes he instituted shortly after joining the agency in April 2018 were about finding the right people for the job, but that his qualifications had nothing to do with race.

Carranza also denied ever telling officials assembled in the rotunda of DOE’s Lower Manhattan headquarters to “get on board with my equity platform or leave,” another claim made in the suit.

“What I will say is that if you look at the data, if you look at who are the students that are performing well and who are not performing well, it is undeniable and without question that there are certain groups of students … that have not been served well by public school systems,” said Carranza on Wednesday. “That’s what this is really abou

Council members turn on ‘divisive’ Carranza in searing letter to de Blasio
Quote:
New York City Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza is a thin-skinned divider obsessed with “ethnicity rather than efficacy,” charges a nine-member, bipartisan coalition of city and state pols who on Saturday demanded the mayor fire him if his “contentious rhetoric” continues.

“We need a chancellor who promotes education, not division,” declares the damning dispatch, obtained by The Post, to Mayor de Blasio, “If Chancellor Carranza continues to divide this city, then someone who can unite this city and provide a quality education for all should replace him.”

The letter was written by Queens Councilmember Robert Holden, a Democrat, and signed by eight others, including two Republican members of the Council’s Education Committee, Joseph Borelli of Staten Island and Eric Ulrich of Queens.

“Since coming to New York in April 2018, Carranza has rightfully focused on creating a more equitable school system, but his comments and actions have seemingly made the system even more divided. He has yet to outline a comprehensive academic agenda“.

“Since coming to New York in April 2018, Carranza has rightfully focused on creating a more equitable school system, but his comments and actions have seemingly made the system even more divided. He has yet to outline a comprehensive academic agenda.”

It adds, “Rather than taking criticism into honest consideration, Chancellor Carranza and his administration respond by making accusations of their own.”

Last week, Carranza railed that he’s been blasted over his hiring practices because he is “a man an of color.”

“There are forces in this city that want me to be the good minority and be quiet,” he said. “I will not be silenced.”

Besides Holden, Borelli and Ulrich, the other councilmembers who signed the letter are Democrats Peter Koo, Karen Koslowitz, Paul Vallone and Chaim Deutsch. Assemblymen Peter Abbate, Jr. and William Colton, both Democrats, also signed.

A spokeswoman for the mayor ripped the coalition.

“It’s a sad day for New York City kids when lawmakers care more about seeing their name in the NY Post than about our school system,” Freddi Goldstein said.

“This racially charged smear campaign is the only thing dividing our city and anyone backing it should be ashamed. We stand with Chancellor Carranza and thank him for all he’s doing to bring equity and excellence to all our kids.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 1:05 pm

No science allowed in Australia:

Instructors at Australian university told to teach creation myth instead of science
‘They have always been in Australia’

Instructors at a prominent university in Australia have been warned not to lecture on the natural historical record of that country; instead, they should teach a creation narrative regarding the origin of indigenous Australian people.

Lecturers at the University of New South Wales “have been warned off making the familiar statement in class that ‘Aboriginal people have been in Australia for 40,000 years’,” The Australian reports.

Instead, they should state that “Aborigines have been here ‘since the beginning of the Dreaming/s’ because this ‘reflects the beliefs of many Indigenous Australians that they have always been in Australia, from the beginning of time, and came from the land’.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/instructo ... f-science/

There Are Four Lights!

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2019, 10:02 am

If I worked in academia I'd rather enjoy and get an ego boost from reading all of these conspiracy theories about how dastardly and Machiavellian academia supposedly is. Kind of like when a mobster watches The Godfather.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 9:34 pm

TRENDING: Educators work to combat racism, whiteness in math

“Math equity” doesn’t mean 1 + 1 = 2.

The term refers to the growing insistence among educators that teaching math in the classroom comes with some inherently biased methodology that must be addressed.

Proponents of “math equity” also stress the importance of social justice issues such as race, diversity and gender in math education — a trend that’s catching on.

More professors and educators are tweeting under the hashtag #MathEquity to share strategies on the topic, and webinars and other pedagogical sessions on it abound.

“Equity-based mathematics teaching requires more than implementing new curriculum or using specific practices because it involves taking a stand for what is right,” the website for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics states.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/trending- ... s-in-math/

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:55 am

Darmok wrote:

The term refers to the growing insistence among educators that teaching math in the classroom comes with some inherently biased methodology that must be addressed.

Proponents of “math equity” also stress the importance of social justice issues such as race, diversity and gender in math education — a trend that’s catching on.

More professors and educators are tweeting under the hashtag #MathEquity to share strategies on the topic, and webinars and other pedagogical sessions on it abound.

“Equity-based mathematics teaching requires more than implementing new curriculum or using specific practices because it involves taking a stand for what is right,” the website for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics states.

I believe 1 + 1 = 2. Mandatory mouth stapling surgery for me(sarcasm).

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:20 pm

Darmok wrote:

I feel so sorry for the kids and younger adults in educational institutions these days.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 5:11 pm

EQUALITY: Australian University Lowers Standards For Women Looking To Enter Engineering Degrees

Equality? No thanks. Women at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) will be able to enter engineering and construction degrees with a lower score on an admissions test than their male counterparts.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that UTS will allow women to enter engineering and construction degrees with a lower score on the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) than male students. Women can score 10 points lower than men and still be admitted into the degree programs.

As the Herald reported, many universities in the country “allocate adjustment points based on disadvantage or illness,” but UTS appears to be the first one to make the adjustment based on gender. As one can guess, the move to lower the entry bar for women is being done in an effort to get more women into engineering.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/51223/eq ... ashe-schow

There Are Four Lights!

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 7:05 pm

Progressivism and especially this radical SJW activism spreads to everyone and everything like a very horrible cancer does.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 7:50 pm

What was the catalyst in creating this culture where we’re afraid we’re going to offend people, where our biggest fear is that someone’s feelings will be hurt.

That said, I was not in college for politics. I was there to get the skills needed for a good job.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 4:14 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What was the catalyst in creating this culture where we’re afraid we’re going to offend people, where our biggest fear is that someone’s feelings will be hurt.

That said, I was not in college for politics. I was there to get the skills needed for a good job.

It's compromise and moderation that got us where we are today. I know you called yourself a "moderate conservative/republican" before, that's why I said that.

Also, just because somebody is to the right of the moderate conservative doesn't mean that person is a violent or evil extremist. That's the big straw man.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 9:10 am

If you condemn white supremacists, that proves you're a white supremacist! Understand? :scratch:

UT prof tells students El Paso Republican mayor is a 'white supremacist'

--The University of Texas-El Paso held a conference to facilitate academic discussion of issues surrounding the recent mass shooting in the area.

--One professor used her time to accuse the El Paso Mayor of being a “white supremacist,” suggesting that he and President Donald Trump were supporting white supremacy through their condemnations of the attack.

--She also informed the students that the Mayor’s condemnation of white supremacy was in itself an act of white supremacy.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13669

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 7:42 pm

The Democrats have always been the Segregationist Party, both 100 years ago and today.

Whites need not apply: Campus sci-tech symposium to only feature scholars of color

An upcoming science and technology symposium slated to take place at Williams College promises a unique feature: it will showcase “new” voices in the field, and those voices will only come from scholars of color.

“New Voices in Science and Technology Studies: A C3 Symposium,” set for early November at the private Massachusetts-based liberal arts university, invited scholars to submit papers if they represent a “historically underrepresented group.”

The call for papers specifies that means either “African Americans, Alaska Natives, Arab Americans, Asian Americans, Latinx, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/whites-ne ... -of-color/

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 9:52 am

Woke History Is Making Big Inroads in America's High Schools

Like growing numbers of public high school students across the country, many California kids are receiving classroom instruction in how race, class, gender, sexuality and citizenship status are tools of oppression, power and privilege. They are taught about colonialism, state violence, racism, intergenerational trauma, heteropatriarchy and the common thread that links them: “whiteness.” Students are then graded on how well they apply these concepts in writing assignments, performances and community organizing projects.

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com ... 20363.html

There Are Four Lights!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 10:01 am

I would hate to be a high-school student these days. Being depicted as a member of an abusive gender and an oppressive race, and then being graded on how well I repeat the official party line would be even more depressing than just being an autistic outcast.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 10:42 am

Union County high school teacher reportedly told students VP Pence should be 'shot in the head'

UNION COUNTY, N.C. - A Union County high school teacher is under investigation after reportedly making threatening comments to a class of students, saying the vice president should be shot.

The Cuthbertson High School teacher called out VP Mike Pence while he was visiting NC, allegedly telling her students he should be "shot in the head."

The Union County Sheriff's Office says it's passed this information along to the Secret Service to investigate.

The teacher, who FOX 46 is not naming at this time, allegedly made the comments to students the same week the vice president was in town to campaign for congressional elect Dan Bishop.

https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/uni ... n-the-head

There Are Four Lights!