Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 9:50 pm

Raptor wrote:
DOGS RULE!

Dogs are pushovers ...

(You may want to cover your eyes when it gets to the scene with the hairless cat ...)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:12 pm

Raptor wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Philistine here and proud of it. :D
People can study and create all the art the wan't but it better be able to stand on it's own financially without subtitles and grants at John Q. Taxpayer's expense.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Were it not for the Princes who were the patrons of artists like DaVinci and others, which was public funding, there would have been no Renaissance.

And humanity would not have survived past the late medieval period without the Renaissance?

Kraichgauer wrote:
If we subsidize business grants and the military, why not the arts?

I'd be stingy for the same reason about subsidizing business but of the two I'd rather see it go to business.
The military is fully funded by the government, not subsidized.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Admittedly though, not all art is financed by the government, as plenty is created by starving artists who finally get a break in the free market.

If your art is good enough then it'll sell. If it's totally awesome it'll $ell very well and will not need grants or subsidies. If it's not selling then there is something off that is making it unappealing to perspective buyers.
If any product can't stand on its own then something is wrong that throwing tax dollars at it won't fix.

Remember, I am not only a self-proclaimed philistine but (in your words) also a bully, a troll, and a neckbeard so it won't get much better than this.

Skippy McGee, otherwise known as Raptor

Without the Renaissance, western civilization would not have made the achievements it has today. There would have been no Age of Exploration (meaning no European colonization of the Americas - hence no you and me), no Reformation, no Age Of Enlightenment, and no Scientific Age of today. The west very likely would be what it had been in the Middle Ages - the third world. I admit I'm spoiled, as I like living in the living conditions of the Industrialized West.
And seriously, I'm attempting to have a cordial conversation with you. There's no need for you to act like a dick.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
DOGS RULE!

Until they meet this cat;

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:27 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Raptor wrote:
DOGS RULE!

Dogs are pushovers ...

(You may want to cover your eyes when it gets to the scene with the hairless cat ...)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I especially liked how the cat had gotten hold of the dog's leash, and was walking backward to pull the dog along. :lol:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Raptor wrote:
People can study and create all the art the wan't but it better be able to stand on it's own financially without subtitles and grants at John Q. Taxpayer's expense.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Were it not for the Princes who were the patrons of artists like DaVinci and others, which was public funding, there would have been no Renaissance.

And humanity would not have survived past the late medieval period without the Renaissance?

Kraichgauer wrote:

I'd be stingy for the same reason about subsidizing business but of the two I'd rather see it go to business.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Admittedly though, not all art is financed by the government, as plenty is created by starving artists who finally get a break in the free market.

If your art is good enough then it'll sell. If it's totally awesome it'll $ell very well and will not need grants or subsidies. If it's not selling then there is something off that is making it unappealing to perspective buyers.
If any product can't stand on its own then something is wrong that throwing tax dollars at it won't fix.

Remember, I am not only a self-proclaimed philistine but (in your words) also a bully, a troll, and a neckbeard so it won't get much better than this.

Without the Renaissance, western civilization would not have made the achievements it has today. There would have been no Age of Exploration (meaning no European colonization of the Americas - hence no you and me), no Reformation, no Age Of Enlightenment, and no Scientific Age of today. The west very likely would be what it had been in the Middle Ages - the third world. I admit I'm spoiled, as I like living in the living conditions of the Industrialized West.

And nothing else could have taken it's place at some point in history? It could have only been The Renaissance as we know it? Do we need another one and does it have to be paid for at taxpayer expense?

Quote:
And seriously, I'm attempting to have a cordial conversation with you. There's no need for you to act like a dick.
You know this is cordial for me but calling someone a dick isn't. Are you saying I can' t very easily go back and find where you labeled me a troll, bully, and neckbeard?
Besides, you replied to my post knowing what was in store....

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:44 pm

"neckbeard"? New one to me, had to Google it.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/neckbeard
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/neck ... ers-guide/
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-t ... rd-2015-11

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Don't your knuckles ever get sore from dragging them? :twisted:

I installed rollers so they don't drag.

Quote:
It's possible that if a certain nefarious character was given a grant and allowed to attend art school millions of lives might have been saved.I did say might,no one will ever know for certain.But it's certainly a possibility,all that rage could have been channeled onto canvas instead of using people for a canvas.

Food for thought.
http://www.performingartsconvention.org/advocacy/id=28

You're talking about the Fuhrer I guess.
Whatever, but I don't go along with giving people everything they want just so they won't act up.

Then go a whole day without art.No nice music for the morning alarm,set it a real annoying ring.No music on your morning drive,no reading or playing video games,no pictures on your walls,nothing that involves any sort of art.
Some of it may have been produced by a person that got a grant or some financial aid.You wouldn't want to sully yourself by enjoying it.No art for you.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:49 pm

Raptor is an e.e. cummings man, I just know it.

mr youse needn’t be so spry
concernin questions arty

each has his tastes but as for i
i likes a certain party

gimme the he-man’s solid bliss
for youse ideas i’ll match youse

a pretty girl who naked is
is worth a million statues

There Are Four Lights!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 11:12 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

And nothing else could have taken it's place at some point in history? It could have only been The Renaissance as we know it? Do we need another one and does it have to be paid for at taxpayer expense?

Quote:
You know this is cordial for me but calling someone a dick isn't. Are you saying I can' t very easily go back and find where you labeled me a troll, bully, and neckbeard?
Besides, you replied to my post knowing what was in store....

Historical "might-have-beens" are fun intellectual exercises, but have little worth beyond that. The reawakening of western civilization happened because of an explosion in the arts, and that was possible in large part because of secular and church princes supporting said arts with their patronage.
No, I am not denying I called you those things; I just thought that you'd be adult enough to carry on a friendly discussion. And as I was cordial toward you till you decided to act on your dickish behavior, I had no reason not to suppose you'd reciprocate with good manners.
You can still salvage things, and prove me wrong that you're all the things I said you were by being polite.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 1:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The reawakening ... happened because of an explosion in the arts
There was one time I was awaken by an explosion of farts. No, they weren't mine.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 1:06 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The reawakening ... happened because of an explosion in the arts
There was one time I was awaken by an explosion of farts. No, they weren't mine.

That'll do it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 4:21 pm

I'll just leave this here for that certain special person who I seem to have upset.............again.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 4:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Don't your knuckles ever get sore from dragging them? :twisted:

I installed rollers so they don't drag.

Quote:
It's possible that if a certain nefarious character was given a grant and allowed to attend art school millions of lives might have been saved.I did say might,no one will ever know for certain.But it's certainly a possibility,all that rage could have been channeled onto canvas instead of using people for a canvas.

Food for thought.
http://www.performingartsconvention.org/advocacy/id=28

You're talking about the Fuhrer I guess.
Whatever, but I don't go along with giving people everything they want just so they won't act up.

Then go a whole day without art.No nice music for the morning alarm,set it a real annoying ring.No music on your morning drive,no reading or playing video games,no pictures on your walls,nothing that involves any sort of art.
Some of it may have been produced by a person that got a grant or some financial aid.You wouldn't want to sully yourself by enjoying it.No art for you.

If it's worth calling art in any form then it was probably a creation of actual talent, not guvermint handouts.

We conservatives like to wake up to this: :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 6:54 pm

/\You probably belt that out in the shower each morning.Hum it when driving to work while pretending the wee rice burner is a little tank. :twisted:
I get it,you don't want to finance the arts,just the military.That way you can roll up in a tank and pillage the works of art from museums. :P

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
Raptor wrote:
DOGS RULE!

Dogs are pushovers ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I especially liked how the cat had gotten hold of the dog's leash, and was walking backward to pull the dog along. :lol:

That was my favorite part, too. 8)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 7:02 pm

Raptor wrote:
We conservatives like to wake up to this: :D
Given the guys pretty much lived in those metal boxes I wonder how long it took a tank to smell like a locker room inside. Especially in the Pacific and in North Africa.