Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 12:05 pm

Transubstantiation.

I feel that it is mainly symbolic, but would not be comfortable, taking the Communion, in bad faith.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 8:01 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Transubstantiation.

I feel that it is mainly symbolic, but would not be comfortable, taking the Communion, in bad faith.

That's the Catholic term to describe what they believe is the bread and wine transforming physically into the body and blood of Christ. I can't speak for the Orthodox or Anglican communion's exact beliefs, but we Lutherans believe Christ's body and blood are present with the bread and wine in a truly physical sense, but is imperceptible to the senses.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 2:39 am

I mean I cannot say I would absolutely refuse to try a piece of human, but I just cannot imagine a situation where that would come up.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 9:50 am

This forum is the situation. OP wanted to see how autistic people would react.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 12:35 pm

In parts of the world where most humans don't eat their own kind, cannibalism is not usually considered a crime or murder if the people who ate the human flesh did not kill the victims. There have been incidents where people were forced to eat dead bodies because it was the only way not to starve to death, like the infamous Donner Party. But it is considered sick and unnatural, although many other animals will eat their own young if they're hungry and can't find anything else since they (probably) lack the ability to feel guilt or morality. It's something I never want to do ever, even in a desperate survival situation.

I once read somewhere that they should make people in war eat who they kill, because then they'd be so horrified and disgusted by it we'd have world peace. Well, if murdering people in war is perfectly acceptable, why shouldn't eating them be as well? :roll:

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 12:53 pm

Animists believe that they are also consuming the person, in spirit. So, their loved ones are integrating with them and giving them strength, or they become empowered by a worthy opponent. They did not appreciate Westerners, so considered their flesh unpleasant to eat, making judgmental statements about our social values. We are lazy and eat junk food, so sour grapes. They respected the values of Asians, so said they tasted better, is how it came across to me. In the ritual context, they considered it more meaningful, to sacrifice their social betters. The would be rich, nobility, or someone kept like the fatted calf, on the best, local fare. It would not have been done as a matter of scarcity.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 4:01 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
In parts of the world where most humans don't eat their own kind, cannibalism is not usually considered a crime or murder if the people who ate the human flesh did not kill the victims. There have been incidents where people were forced to eat dead bodies because it was the only way not to starve to death, like the infamous Donner Party. But it is considered sick and unnatural, although many other animals will eat their own young if they're hungry and can't find anything else since they (probably) lack the ability to feel guilt or morality. It's something I never want to do ever, even in a desperate survival situation.

I once read somewhere that they should make people in war eat who they kill, because then they'd be so horrified and disgusted by it we'd have world peace. Well, if murdering people in war is perfectly acceptable, why shouldn't eating them be as well? :roll:

Unfortunately, people who start wars don't fight them, so they'd get away without being traumatized for life for having committed cannibalism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 4:06 pm

Unless I absolutely KNEW that I was going to die if I didn't eat human flesh, I wouldn't eat human flesh.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2017, 9:09 pm

LOL, nice topic Seaweed. :mrgreen:

I have heard that the meat below the thump of a human being is extraordinairily delicious. So, really recommended and possibly a trendy thing in fine cuisine. :mrgreen:

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 10:44 pm

When the elder President Bush (father of W) was 19 he was an airman in WWII bombing Iwo Jima. He got shot down and crashed in the surrounding sea. He and his life raft were being pulled toward the Japanese occupied shore when an American sub surfaced in time to rescue him.

On Sixty Minutes Morely safer asked a Japanese veteran of the battle "what would have happened to Bush if he hadnt been rescued?".

The Japanese vet replied "he would have been eaten" by the starving Japanese garrison of the island.

So our 41st president narrowly escaped becoming Tempora, or sukiyaki.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 10:56 am

You can't serve "long pig" without the proper sauce to accompany it.
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/ ... tomato.htm

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 11:21 am

Are you a collector?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 11:44 am

/\Of plant varieties?Yes,but I have never grown that one.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 11:48 am

Then, we have a shared interest, if not shared politics. I know that site well.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 12:57 pm

Plants have been a special interest since childhood.I was fortunate to have a parent that was a gardener.
This catalog is awesome.They aren't too far from me,a couple hours drive.One day I plan on visiting and returning home with a carload of plants.
http://www.rareseeds.com
Right now the cucumber beetles are a major affliction,they are out early.Ive already had seedling gourds and squash taken out by them overnight.Im fixing to spray with a soap mixture.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 1:02 pm

I also try to keep it as natural as possible. Good for you.