StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 9:41 pm

Essential synopsis:

* She's heard both sides now and is essentially an all-round humanist at this point.

* Her main misgiving with mainstream feminism are with the sort of dogmatic variety of it that she'd been indoctrinated into.

* She highlighted the degree of her own bias against the MRA's that she had to get though just to complete the documentary project and how many different ways that she'd impulsively twist context early on.

* She's come to fully appreciate how difficult it is for someone to go from being fully against a particular viewpoint to understanding it in a more generalized and accurate manner.

I thought I'd throw that out there because I don't think most people who would disagree with her will watch the video.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2017, 10:07 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Essential synopsis:

* She's heard both sides now and is essentially an all-round humanist at this point.

* Her main misgiving with mainstream feminism are with the sort of dogmatic variety of it that she'd been indoctrinated into.

* She highlighted the degree of her own bias against the MRA's that she had to get though just to complete the documentary project and how many different ways that she'd impulsively twist context early on.

* She's come to fully appreciate how difficult it is for someone to go from being fully against a particular viewpoint to understanding it in a more generalized and accurate manner.

I thought I'd throw that out there because I don't think most people who would disagree with her will watch the video.

Thanks for the synopsis. I would have thought that people who disagreed with her, and who were interested in issues related to Feminism, would have watched her anyway. Obviously, people who had no interest in Feminism would not have watched. I would watch someone, who had a point of view different from mine, if it were a topic that interested me (I might learn something), and as long as it wasn't some wacko.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:25 pm

I liked what Gary Taubes said recently on Sam Harris's Waking Up Episode 74. The most common response to a book, video, journal article, that someone disagrees with is "It's crap. i haven't read/watched it.". It's good that you're curious but be aware that most people aren't.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin