EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 10:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I think what it boils down to, is the right's behavior and reputation hasn't changed any much really in this situation. With the left on the other hand it appears to have altered dramatically. And that's the big difference.

Now if you're referring to, "conservatives embracing the alt-right gives cover to white supremacist reactionaries who previously the conservative movement had enough self-respect to distance themselves from - it's an accurate and factual assessment of what is occurring". I see that being claimed quite a bit by liberals, but I haven't seen that from conservatives. Now it's pretty easy for me to predict that the response to that is going to be, Trump hired Bannon, so if you're pro-Trump you're embracing the "alt-right" and so on.

Clearly you're too young to remember a time when far-right conspiracy theorists and white nationalists weren't embraced by mainstream conservatives or the GOP. Not all of us have our perspective limited by being born in the 21st century.

Please, you're too young to remember anything that occurred previous to 1995. You trying to sound like a wise old sage at 32 is ridiculous. One doesn't have to have lived through history to be aware of it.

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not sure Barry Goldwater or Ronald Reagan would have a home in the GOP of today, they'd be called RINOs and cuckservatives by the Limbaughs, Hannities and Savages that cheerlead the steady takeover of the GOP by reactionary extremists.

How would you know anything about Reagan and Goldwater when they were way before your time, whippersnapper?
And that really just sounds like a lot of hyperbole

Not a wise, old sage. Just wiser than thou. :wink:

How so?

funeralxempire wrote:
As for hyperbole, it's not - it's based on the positions they espoused vs. the positions required to pass the current purity tests required to not be labelled as a RINO, etc. I've seen the GOP become increasingly focused on ideological purity from the H.W. Bush era until the Tea Party era, the Tea Party welcomed the crazies (John Birch Society types, the various Agenda 21 and one world government is coming types, David Duke types) into the tent and allowed them to hijack the party.

What you're saying as a whole comes off as esoteric. Is there an article from a mainstream non-partisan source that details what you're saying? Because I certainly haven't come across any.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm

EzraS wrote:
What you're saying as a whole comes off as esoteric. Is there an article from a mainstream non-partisan source that details what you're saying? Because I certainly haven't come across any.

Have you ever bothered to even look? If the idea had never been suggested to you, and if it had never occurred to you independently, and if you weren't alive to witness it, of course you haven't encountered any discussion of the idea.

Also, just gonna leave this here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/esoteric

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 11:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Have you ever bothered to even look? If the idea had never been suggested to you, and if it had never occurred to you independently, and if you weren't alive to witness it, of course you haven't encountered any discussion of the idea.

The fact that I have to go searching for it, means that it's an obscure ideology that most likely requires a specialized interest, knowledge and a unique perspective.

The defintion of the word esoteric according to Wiktionary (as opposed to an actual dictionary I'd use in school) is what I already knew it to be and is therefore why I chose to use that word.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 11:40 pm

EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:

The fact that I have to go searching for it, means that it's an obscure ideology that most likely requires a specialized interest, knowledge and a unique perspective.

The defintion of the word esoteric according to Wiktionary (as opposed to an actual dictionary I'd use in school) is what I already knew it to be and is therefore why I chose to use that word.

If what happened before everyone's eyes is obscure you're either blind or weren't watching or weren't there to witness it. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 12:30 am

funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:

The definition of the word esoteric according to Wiktionary (as opposed to an actual dictionary I'd use in school) is what I already knew it to be and is therefore why I chose to use that word.

If what happened before everyone's eyes is obscure you're either blind or weren't watching or weren't there to witness it. :wink:

:lol:

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 5:57 am

EzraS wrote:

Haha. An esoteric search for the esoteric.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 10:07 am

Since middle-aged people often disapprove of the youths, it takes a while for recent events to get into History classes. When i went to high school, history ended with WWII. 60s? What 60s? Nothing to see there.

Also, Texas has an outsized influence on the content of textbooks nationally. That has begun to fade with advanced printing technology, but it still costs less to leave out facts that the State School Board of Texas would rather not acknowledge.

Add to that the tendency to have unqualified coaches teach History classes, with their special (athlete) academic background, and no wonder complicated, controversial events get short shrift.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 5:38 pm

EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:

The definition of the word esoteric according to Wiktionary (as opposed to an actual dictionary I'd use in school) is what I already knew it to be and is therefore why I chose to use that word.

I guess you need to be spoon-fed, so here comes the airplane:

Bob Dole agrees...

Jeb Bush too...

Timothy McVeigh might have a better chance running in a GOP primary.

So obscure it took all of 30 seconds. :roll:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I guess you need to be spoon-fed, so here comes the airplane:

Bob Dole agrees...

Jeb Bush too...

Timothy McVeigh might have a better chance running in a GOP primary.

So obscure it took all of 30 seconds. :roll:

You're condescending the way someone who's into a particular video game or sci fi genre is towards those who aren't a part of that little world. Like Sheldon Leonard not understanding how someone couldn't possibly know about the construct of a particular comic book series.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 7:30 pm

EzraS wrote:
You're condescending the way someone who's into a particular video game or sci fi genre is towards those who aren't a part of that little world. Like Sheldon Leonard not understanding how someone couldn't possibly know about the construct of a particular comic book series.

Someone who's as condescending as yourself shouldn't complain about being treated in the same manner.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 8:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Someone who's as condescending as yourself shouldn't complain about being treated in the same manner.

You started out trying to belittle me with the just a naive kid routine. I simply made it difficult for you. You'll find having a conversation with me goes a lot more smoothly if you're not trying to talk down to me, dismiss me, put me in my place or whatever.

This was simply a matter of me not being from the same school of thought as you. Because I haven't pursued the types of literature and articles that shape your school of thought nor have I been indoctrinated into a particular political ideology. It's necessary for me to obtain a common frame of reference to understand what you're talking about. Otherwise it just comes out as indecipherable. I believe that's pretty much true of everyone.

Last edited by EzraS on 16 Jun 2017, 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 8:52 pm

If the back and forth flaming continues, this thread will be locked.