God?
The God of the Bible is a enemy to mankind 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
The God of the Bible was made up by men 53%  53%  [ 16 ]
The God of the Bible is a friend to mankind 43%  43%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 30

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

28 May 2007, 4:18 pm

Xenon wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Can you blame Him? If you read the full account, they were literally doing nothing but evil to each other, "continually". But He was love in that he spared the eight people who were kind. A dispassionate or hateful dictator would have wiped them out with the rest, and started over with creating a new species. How about accounting for that?

I get it. A mass-murderer is actually a nice guy because he spared eight people while killing thousands more. Why did I not see this before?

5000BC to 2350BC is the estimated date of Noah's ark story. World population between
8000BC to 1000BC was estimated at 8-50 million. So thats millions of killings not thousands.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 4:29 pm

Obviously my estimate was a little too conservative.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 4:30 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
the bible was made up by man. that's easily evident. the fact that so many other religions around the same time as christianity's formation shows that all christianity is is a theological version of puff daddy.

Actually, Judaism pre-dates all religions. It began with the covenant between God and Abraham around 2,000 BC. Some eastern religions started around the same time, but have never stayed the same over the centuries, undergoing major fundamental changes and re-writes along the way. Judaism has remained essentially the same.

4,000 years and counting, folks. Nothin' to sneeze at.
(Side note: Judaism and Christianity are the same thing. Just not a lot of people know about it.)

i guess you havent heard of the sumerians or mesopotamians :?
they had religion 6500 years ago

I meant the oldest continuing religion, as I indicated with the words "and counting".

yeah so did i :? as indicated with the words "they had religion 6500 years ago"

Is their religion exactly the same today as it was 6,500 years ago?

no religion is exactly the same; quit being intellectually lazy. if religions were the same, we'd have stonings today for those who broke the laws of deuteronomy.

Not so. If you read the Old Testament, most significantly Isaiah 52 and 53, you'll see that it predicted Christ as the future redeemer of the world. The man Jesus fulfilled hundreds of messianic prophecies in the Old Testament for who Israel's saviour would be. The "stoning" age, if you will, and the "grace" age were planned by God from the beginning, in order to show the world that man cannot be justified by his works -- that he cannot perfectly keep all the laws of God. If He hadn't shown them this, then they wouldn't see clearly -- as many still refuse to -- that we NEED a redeemer. Pride won't get you to Heaven. (Actually, it is promised in the Bible that it will keep you out.)
Good luck!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 May 2007, 5:06 pm

made up by man im sure, although the early part of the bible was a ripoff of earlier storys&myths

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 6:20 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Xenon wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Can you blame Him? If you read the full account, they were literally doing nothing but evil to each other, "continually". But He was love in that he spared the eight people who were kind. A dispassionate or hateful dictator would have wiped them out with the rest, and started over with creating a new species. How about accounting for that?

I get it. A mass-murderer is actually a nice guy because he spared eight people while killing thousands more. Why did I not see this before?

Mmm, no, God is sovereign, which means He can do whatever He likes, and it's right. Nice try anthropomophizing God, though. ;)

Hey, wait a minute! God beat you to the 'anthropomorphizing!'

Genisis 1:21 KJV: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Merle

some how I just knew you would only respect the King James Version. . .

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 6:22 pm

Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
the bible was made up by man. that's easily evident. the fact that so many other religions around the same time as christianity's formation shows that all christianity is is a theological version of puff daddy.

Actually, Judaism pre-dates all religions. It began with the covenant between God and Abraham around 2,000 BC. Some eastern religions started around the same time, but have never stayed the same over the centuries, undergoing major fundamental changes and re-writes along the way. Judaism has remained essentially the same.

(Side note: Judaism and Christianity are the same thing. Just not a lot of people know about it.)

I meant the oldest continuing religion, as I indicated with the words "and counting".

no religion is exactly the same; quit being intellectually lazy. if religions were the same, we'd have stonings today for those who broke the laws of deuteronomy.

Not so. If you read the Old Testament, most significantly Isaiah 52 and 53, you'll see that it predicted Christ as the future redeemer of the world. The man Jesus fulfilled hundreds of messianic prophecies in the Old Testament for who Israel's saviour would be. The "stoning" age, if you will, and the "grace" age were planned by God from the beginning, in order to show the world that man cannot be justified by his works -- that he cannot perfectly keep all the laws of God. If He hadn't shown them this, then they wouldn't see clearly -- as many still refuse to -- that we NEED a redeemer. Pride won't get you to Heaven. (Actually, it is promised in the Bible that it will keep you out.)
Good luck!

was there a "burning" age mentioned too? like when they burned the witches?
just curious

Merle

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 7:12 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Good luck!

just curious

Merle

I don't answer for Christians who don't follow the Bible; they're not being Christian.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 8:04 pm

Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

i'm gonna write a bunch of garbage that has nothing to do with your post.

thanks for letting me know, i'm done with your idiocy.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 11:07 pm

Ragtime wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Good luck!

just curious

Merle

I don't answer for Christians who don't follow the Bible; they're not being Christian.

but, but. . Exodus 22:18 reads, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." where does that get changed in the new testament?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

28 May 2007, 11:34 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Good luck!

just curious

Merle

but, but. . Exodus 22:18 reads, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." where does that get changed in the new testament?

Lets not forget how its a sin to have more than one God. The whole concept of the trinity is at odds with the old testiment.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 1:01 am

sinsboldly wrote:

Not sure why you're even here, sb. Why don't you go sin boldly or something...

How about Jesus' words: "Love your enemies, and do good to those who persecute you"? That answers your objection well enough. That redeemed Christians are no longer under OT law helps too. Why, are you a witch or something? I think I've got a Zippo here somewhere... gimme a sec...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 9:38 am

Ragtime wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Ragtime wrote:
Not sure why you're even here, sb.

oh! well, Ragtime, it's because I have an account on this forum called Wrong Planet and this thread was posted to that forum. Anyone can post to it if they have an account.
(Actually, you being concerned that I am stimulating your discussion in such a way that you are trying to run me off is so flattering! Thank you! I had no idea (until now) my level headed questions were getting under your ideology!)

Ragtime wrote:
Why don't you go sin boldly or something...

Again, thank you! I would like to introduce you to someone that has had a lot of influence over protestant Christianity. His name is Martin Luther! (no, no, not Martin Luther King, Jr OR Sr, this is the ORIGINAL Martin Luther that challenged the Catholic Church in the 1500's?, he stated :

"Be a sinner and sin boldly, but more strongly have faith and rejoice in Christ."

and that is where my name derives. Sorry that bit of history has escaped your education, however I realize it's not like he was John Knox or John Calvin or anything.

Ragtime wrote:
How about Jesus' words: "Love your enemies, and do good to those who persecute you"? That answers your objection well enough.

wonderful! I am so glad you extend your love to those nasty gay people too!

Ragtime wrote:
That redeemed Christians are no longer under OT law helps too. Why, are you a witch or something? I think I've got a Zippo here somewhere... gimme a sec...

So you believe that only redeemed Christians get to benefit from Christ's coming? Ah, that makes you a Gnostic, the sect that believes along with Judas that there was some 'secret stuff' that Jesus taught only the 'insiders.'

Now, I can see you are bristling with indignation that I mention Judas in connection with your gnostic evangelical faith, however if you do your research, I am sure you will realize that there is historical information that is readily available that will assist you in your exploration of the true religion you embrace. Who knows if it wasn't God that sent me? :wink:

Merle

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:11 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Ragtime wrote:

oh! well, Ragtime, it's because I have an account on this forum called Wrong Planet and this thread was posted to that forum. Anyone can post to it if they have an account.
(Actually, you being concerned that I am stimulating your discussion in such a way that you are trying to run me off is so flattering! Thank you! I had no idea (until now) my level headed questions were getting under your ideology!)

Ragtime wrote:

Again, thank you! I would like to introduce you to someone that has had a lot of influence over protestant Christianity. His name is Martin Luther! (no, no, not Martin Luther King, Jr OR Sr, this is the ORIGINAL Martin Luther that challenged the Catholic Church in the 1500's?, he stated :

"Be a sinner and sin boldly, but more strongly have faith and rejoice in Christ."

and that is where my name derives. Sorry that bit of history has escaped your education, however I realize it's not like he was John Knox or John Calvin or anything.

Ragtime wrote:
How about Jesus' words: "Love your enemies, and do good to those who persecute you"? That answers your objection well enough.

Ragtime wrote:
That redeemed Christians are no longer under OT law helps too. Why, are you a witch or something? I think I've got a Zippo here somewhere... gimme a sec...

So you believe that only redeemed Christians get to benefit from Christ's coming? Ah, that makes you a Gnostic, the sect that believes along with Judas that there was some 'secret stuff' that Jesus taught only the 'insiders.'

Now, I can see you are bristling with indignation that I mention Judas in connection with your gnostic evangelical faith, however if you do your research, I am sure you will realize that there is historical information that is readily available that will assist you in your exploration of the true religion you embrace. Who knows if it wasn't God that sent me? :wink:

Merle

Boy, the bats are busy tonight...

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:32 am

richardbenson wrote:
made up by man im sure, although the early part of the bible was a ripoff of earlier storys&myths

Whoever wrote the Genesis, it isn't certain if Moses really was, he borrowed things from the Sumerian and Babylonian Mythologies, it has parallels with the creation, the story of adam and eve, the flood and the babel tower. Which were written centuries before the date the Genesis is believed to be written.

Quote:
The Sumerians developed a religion and a society which influenced both their neighbors and their conquerors. Sumerian cuneiform, the earliest written language, was borrowed by the Babylonians, who also took many of their religious beliefs. In fact, traces and parallels of Sumerian myth can be found in Genesis.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 8:01 pm

Ragtime wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Ragtime wrote:

Ragtime wrote:

Ragtime wrote:

Ragtime wrote:

Merle

Boy, the bats are busy tonight...

well im bumping this for obvious reasons

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 8:16 pm

"To the angel of the church in Laodicea, write this:
'The Amen, the faithful and true witness, the source of God's creation, says this:
"I know your works; I know that you are neither cold nor hot.
I wish you were either cold or hot.
So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will pwn you out of my mouth."

but not with out chuckling about it. . .

Merle