Would it be better a world without Religion?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would it be better a world without Religion?
Yes 54%  54%  [ 25 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 17 ]
I don't know 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 46

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 12:33 pm

I'd like to know what people think about this
At the current time with all advances and knowledge human kind gain in the 21 century, do we really still need religion? I see that religion is not always the answer for many problems

Last edited by greenblue on 22 May 2007, 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 12:34 pm

YES.
It would for me anyway lol

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 1:40 pm

I believe religion to be a necessary evil that makes mankind function better as a whole on a societal level. It gives the sick and dying hope, they help out needy causes and charities tirelessly, it provides strength, moral rules and good guides to living - even if a little misguided.

I am a strong believer that the world would be worse off without them overall, though some fine tuning is needed (ie/ anti-abortion, anti-condom, anti-homosexuality, anti-other-peoples-beliefs). Religion is responsible for many bad things too.

The human mind is a powerful thing - good and bad.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 1:45 pm

Gah, people follow religion because they cannot deal with the real world. If there was no religion, then the world would be a much better place.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 1:51 pm

Anubis wrote:
Gah, people follow religion because they cannot deal with the real world. If there was no religion, then the world would be a much better place.

Why?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:16 pm

Religion seems to be one of those things that improves the quality of life of the practitioners and it can also encourage some altruism in those who practice. I think that even without it though we would still manage to have societal divides based upon ideology, therefore, I am not sure that removing religion would make the world much better and perhaps worse in some regards.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:18 pm

It would make my life much better.
f**k everyone else.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:23 pm

I doubt the world would be any better or worse without religion.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:26 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
Anubis wrote:

Why?

Because religion blinds people, just like lying politicians. Secondly, religion is illogical. There is no proof for it, except a book which was made up over the years, by mortals, in most cases. At least half of it doesn't make sense. And there is nothing modern about it. People should think for themselves, and not have a religion think for them.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 5:54 pm

I don't care if there's religion in the world. Most people I know are religious, and they're not all that bad. There're just too many people who miss the message and focus on the little facts that ruin religion.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 7:32 pm

Removing religion would not remove the tyrannical ideologies which are not based on religion. Also, I believe that by removing religion, regardless of whether religion is true, it will cause individuals generally to become more "me" centered.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

22 May 2007, 7:58 pm

If the illogic that leads a person to follow religion is replaced by real logic then yes the world would be better but if the same illogical neuroprocessing remains regardless if people follow religion or not the world will still have the same degree of pointless problems. In others words its why people choose religion and not religion itself that is the real problem.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:11 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
If the illogic that leads a person to follow religion is replaced by real logic then yes the world would be better but if the same illogical neuroprocessing remains regardless if people follow religion or not the world will still have the same degree of pointless problems. In others words its why people choose religion and not religion itself that is the real problem.

Except for the fact that the areas that religion mostly rules over are not areas where logic can ever thrive. No purely logical system can tell people how to live, what to live for, and what to die for. Morality and meaning are forever beyond science. I'd say that you have essentially argued that religion isn't the problem as people whether religious or not tend to hold their own warped ideas with religious zeal. If we abolish religion we solve nothing as we don't abolish the substituting philosophies and ideologies, if we abolish everything of that nature then we lose humanity itself as without our illogic(as odd as it may seem) we are lost.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:40 pm

not necessarily. many people lack the cognative abilities to make moral decisions on their own and need such things as an invisible deity to threaten to spank them.

i think the current deities have lost their way and purpose and are simple seeking to retain power at this point...some doing it better than others (islam has a great stranglehold on power) but they're generally worthless for this new world of science and enhanced knowledge.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:41 pm

jimservo wrote:
it will cause individuals generally to become more "me" centered.

you should talk to some of the ego-centric mexicans out here in LA sometime. they're huge into christianity.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

23 May 2007, 1:10 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

Except for the fact that the areas that religion mostly rules over are not areas where logic can ever thrive. No purely logical system can tell people how to live, what to live for, and what to die for. Morality and meaning are forever beyond science. I'd say that you have essentially argued that religion isn't the problem as people whether religious or not tend to hold their own warped ideas with religious zeal. If we abolish religion we solve nothing as we don't abolish the substituting philosophies and ideologies, if we abolish everything of that nature then we lose humanity itself as without our illogic(as odd as it may seem) we are lost.

I chose the path of logic that destroys humanity over the path of illogic that preserves humanity. :)