Compromise: Possible in the current political atmosphere?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2018, 2:03 am

I've lately wondered if compromise is even possible in the current political atmosphere, notably with it polarizing. I personally favor pragmatic compromise and I feel like I am of a very, very few. There are those that say that they are for compromise, but then they follow up and say something like "...but the [insult or expletive] [adjective for party members] will never compromise!" I've talked to many of these polarized radicals that completely dismiss the other side, won't give them a serious chance to offer their perspectives, and certainly won't consider compromise ("my way or the highway" attitude): whether it be factions within a think tank or activist group, in general public, in gaming communities, or even on this forum, there are polarized radicals everywhere that seem to encompass the majority of the American population nowadays.

Something these radicals do have in common with each other is that they like to dehumanize each other and those that they disagree with. After all, dehumanizing people and giving them absurd labels in advance makes it easier for one to discredit the other person and even makes it easier to build up the will to fight them. This makes me think of the NSDAP and KPD -- those that know what these abbreviations mean will know the historical consequences of polarized politics and dehumanization of those one disagrees with. What else is shocking is that people are doing this to their own neighbors within their own local communities, and with their fellow humans! These radicals are a disgrace to humankind.

As a result of the growth of these radicals, I can't help but to think that the age of compromise is long gone, that the only compromises or mutual agreements we'll continue see in the U.S. are cases in which the politicians pass legislation in favor of their special interests at the expense of the nation (which has been going on for some time now, regardless of administration and regardless of which party is the majority -- radical partisans will continue to blame the other party despite their own party being equally at fault). The way I see it, the nation is heavily divided by polarization of viewpoints, and this divide only goes stronger. Moderates dwindle as zealous ideologues grow, and with that, civil discussion and political compromise die.

Perhaps it would not be far-fetched to say that we are living in a dark age of ignorance.

To those of you that have not become radicalized partisans, what are your thoughts on this? What do you think it will take in order to bring an end to identity politics and the overall polarized atmosphere?

Note: I do mean for this to include everyone around the world; but, I only know mostly of American and Korean politics (which Korean political atmosphere is not like it is here), and for certain I know America has this polarization going on, not sure about the rest of you. If your nation is also polarized, definitely bring that up and talk about the politics of your country too! :)

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 12:29 pm

As an autistic I have always felt like an outsider, the current atmosphere just enhances that feeling.

People are either in the Trump whatever his flaws are they not nearly as bad as the libs or they in they are in the resist him at every turn camps. If you are not in either camp you are thought of as on the other team or an enabler which is thought of as a combination of you might as well be on the other team plus a character flaw. Both sides view the other team as an existential threat to the future of this country. I view both sides as existential threats.

There is an argument that we have been more divided and have come out of it and we will again. The violence in the 60's and 70's was way worse than anything recent riots with dozens dead and whole areas burnt to the ground, national guard troops occupying cities and campuses, campuses shut down, college deans held hostage, thousands of bombings and arsons per year, and the civil war was worse than that resulting in over 600,000 deaths. But just because we got out of it before is not a guarantee we get out of it again. IMHO opinion while we were able to move on after those divisive times the divisions created by those events were never solved, they just went underground and allowed to fester and are now coming home to roost.

Conclusion: Right now I do not see a way out.

The only time I discuss politics is here and with my brother. I don't discuss politics on social media as I have people I like and respect on both sides that are too far gone to see the other side so I would lose them and nothing would be gained.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 1:44 pm

Republicans rejected compromise recently (during Obama) and embraced obstruction. This isn't a both sides issue.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 1:53 pm

AspE wrote:
Republicans rejected compromise recently (during Obama) and embraced obstruction. This isn't a both sides issue.

Yes it is. Whatever you think of opening the US embassy in Jerusalem when Trump did it the dems opposed it even thought it was thier legislation he was carrying out. Every vote is for the most part along party lines. And the politicians are way too wimpy for both parties bases.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 20 Aug 2018, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 2:00 pm

I don't know how to fix it either, unfortunately America has two parties. One will always win and it doesn't matter how much they both suck, one will always win, they just don't have to suck as much as the other one and even then because they both suck the people will eventually vote you in after they get tired of the other one sucking in power because you are literally the only alternative.

Democracy is the best system, but there needs to be a way to allow fresh blood and fresh ideas to enter the system. Imagine if the Democrats and Republicans were just two out of like eight parties all with just as much power behind them. We also don't seem to take politics as seriously as other important positions which require rigorous standards to be met while a man with literally no experience in the field in Trump can just come strolling into the top position in the profession on the planet. Similarly, nothing is expected of voters. Of course everyone should be able to vote, but imagine if there was an ingrained mentality in the populace of being diligent and interested in understanding the political landscape. And expecting and demanding a high standard of politician.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 5:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspE wrote:

Yes it is. Whatever you think of opening the US embassy in Jerusalem when Trump did it the dems opposed it even thought it was thier legislation he was carrying out. Every vote is for the most part along party lines. And the politicians are way too wimpy for both parties bases.

That had zero to do with compromise. The Democrats had no intention of moving the embassy unless it was part of the peace process. That because they are willing to compromise with the Palestinians.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 5:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
civil war was worse.

Intriguingly or rather terrifyingly the country, for the most part, is once again divided by Union and Confederate states. Union states being against Trump and the Confederate states being for him. What makes many in the Confederate states the way they are - no idea, as a minority it scares me though. With that said, these states also have safe havens that are welcoming to diversity such as Austin, TX. So not all in these states are that way.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 6:59 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
civil war was worse.

Intriguingly or rather terrifyingly the country, for the most part, is once again divided by Union and Confederate states. Union states being against Trump and the Confederate states being for him. What makes many in the Confederate states the way they are - no idea, as a minority it scares me though. With that said, these states also have safe havens that are welcoming to diversity such as Austin, TX. So not all in these states are that way.

That is what I had in mind when I noted the problems never were solved but went underground

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 7:13 pm

AspE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspE wrote:

That had zero to do with compromise. The Democrats had no intention of moving the embassy unless it was part of the peace process. That because they are willing to compromise with the Palestinians.

Congress does not have the power to move an embassy, if they did I am sure for the most part they would have, at least until the last few years. If President Hillary moved the embassy while the base would not have supported it, most of the congressional dems would have. They objected not on policy grounds they did it because the base demands resist Trump in everything he does.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 8:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspE wrote:

Congress does not have the power to move an embassy, if they did I am sure for the most part they would have, at least until the last few years. If President Hillary moved the embassy while the base would not have supported it, most of the congressional dems would have. They objected not on policy grounds they did it because the base demands resist Trump in everything he does.

That is not correct. Legislation mentioning moving the embassy were widely considered symbolic only.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 8:54 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As an autistic I have always felt like an outsider, the current atmosphere just enhances that feeling.

People are either in the Trump whatever his flaws are they not nearly as bad as the libs or they in they are in the resist him at every turn camps. If you are not in either camp you are thought of as on the other team or an enabler which is thought of as a combination of you might as well be on the other team plus a character flaw. Both sides view the other team as an existential threat to the future of this country. I view both sides as existential threats.

There is an argument that we have been more divided and have come out of it and we will again. The violence in the 60's and 70's was way worse than anything recent riots with dozens dead and whole areas burnt to the ground, national guard troops occupying cities and campuses, campuses shut down, college deans held hostage, thousands of bombings and arsons per year, and the civil war was worse than that resulting in over 600,000 deaths. But just because we got out of it before is not a guarantee we get out of it again. IMHO opinion while we were able to move on after those divisive times the divisions created by those events were never solved, they just went underground and allowed to fester and are now coming home to roost.

Conclusion: Right now I do not see a way out.

The only time I discuss politics is here and with my brother. I don't discuss politics on social media as I have people I like and respect on both sides that are too far gone to see the other side so I would lose them and nothing would be gained.

Very eloquently stated. I agree 100%!

The sad reality is there is really no difference between the two sides Americans have been brainwashed into believing they have to choose from. Both serve the same masters.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 12:26 am

AspE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspE wrote:

That is not correct. Legislation mentioning moving the embassy were widely considered symbolic only.

It was not considered symbolic it was what both parties wanted and expected to happen. This was passed in 1995 before Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions gained some traction in the US.

If they wanted symbolic they would have passed a resolution, they passed a law.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 1:42 pm

And every president since Clinton was expected to sign a waiver delaying this action, and did. It's hard enough to get compromise when people can't even agree on the facts.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 2:22 pm

There’s no true compromise when one side just wants to take and not give anything

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 3:03 pm

AspE wrote:
And every president since Clinton was expected to sign a waiver delaying this action, and did. It's hard enough to get compromise when people can't even agree on the facts.

But, alternative facts man! 2+2 = 5!! ! :D