Toucan

28 Aug 2017, 7:30 am

there is no journalism in the West

Robert Stacy McCain's sex trouble series

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2017, 8:06 am

Surely this thread's posed to be educational and headed in a bright direction.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 8:38 am

The USA mainstream media is reluctant to call anything terrorism unless it carried out by a Muslim.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 8:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The USA mainstream media is reluctant to call anything terrorism unless it carried out by a Muslim.

At least your DHS seems to willing to apply that label to them. Alto not directly. Our AIVD just groups them under the wider label of left-wing extremism and pointing out that they use undemocratic means to achieve their goals and contact local authorities under false premises.

EvaDoomGal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2017, 12:21 pm

Was there ever a time when Journalism was good?

Also, ANTIFA is the reason I have a hard time trusting the left. However that begs the question: can the right be trusted as well or should be we just as skeptical towards them as we are to the left?

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 1:59 pm

Heard Antifa might be labeled terrorists. That is kind of exciting to me.

EvaDoomGal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2017, 2:10 pm

BettaPonic wrote:

By whom?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 2:38 pm

EvaDoomGal wrote:

Also, ANTIFA is the reason I have a hard time trusting the left. However that begs the question: can the right be trusted as well or should be we just as skeptical towards them as we are to the left?

Journalism was noticably less bad a few decades ago here in the states. One needs to be skeptical of all people with simplistic answers.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 2:51 pm

The real terrorists in America (the far-right) are backed by the president.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

EvaDoomGal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2017, 3:07 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
The real terrorists in America (the far-right) are backed by the president.

Don't you think both sides have their fair share of terrorists? :roll:

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 8:08 pm

EvaDoomGal wrote:

Neither side can be trusted. Best we can do is temporary use them from time to time to obtain balance.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 8:55 pm

Lost in the Harvey news was an antifa action that was too outrageous for even the Washington Post to ignore.
Black-clad antifa members attack peaceful right-wing demonstrators in Berkeley

Quote:
Jumping over plastic and concrete barriers, the group melted into a larger crowd of around 2,000 that had marched peacefully throughout the sunny afternoon for a “Rally Against Hate” gathering.

Shortly after, violence began to flare. A pepper-spray-wielding Trump supporter was smacked to the ground with homemade shields. Another was attacked by five black-clad antifa members, each windmilling kicks and punches into a man desperately trying to protect himself. A conservative group leader retreated for safety behind a line of riot police as marchers chucked water bottles, shot off pepper spray and screamed, “Fascist go home!”

All told, the Associated Press reported at least five individuals were attacked. An AP reporter witnessed the assaults. Berkeley Police’s Lt. Joe Okies told The Washington Post the rally resulted in “13 arrests on a range of charges including assault with a deadly weapon, obstructing a police officer, and various Berkeley municipal code violations.”

On Sunday, police in Berkeley maintained a strict perimeter around the area in the beginning of the afternoon, including enforcing an emergency city rule outlawing sticks and other potential weapons from the park. Fifty officers were spread out at the area’s four entrances, according to the Daily Californian.

But antifa protesters — armed with sticks and shields and clad in shin pads and gloves — largely routed the security checks and by 1:30 p.m. police reportedly left the security line at the Center Street and Milvaia Street entrance to the park. Berkeley Police Chief Andrew Greenwood told the AP the decision was strategic — a confrontation was sure to spark more violence between the protesters and police.

“No need for a confrontation over a grass patch,” Greenwood said.

This keeps happening at Berkeley because it is allowed to happen. I guess the "leaders" there are sympathetic to the idea of censoring certain ideas.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 9:28 pm

sly279 wrote:
EvaDoomGal wrote:

Neither side can be trusted. Best we can do is temporary use them from time to time to obtain balance.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Balance_fallacy

See? This is why I'm starting to dislike "centrists". The center is not always right.

Plus, the economic "center" has been shifting to the right over the last 50 years thanks to corporate propaganda. Our society has progressed socially, but we have been in a state of economic regress.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm

I think the best first-step would be have strict anti-mask laws enforced. They probably don't need to send FBI informants out to AntiFa unless they know of a particular group who might be planning something worthy of such resources. My guess - prohibiting the masks would solve most of the problems. There might be a few other uniform items that could be handled in a similar manner to gang-related clothing or allowing for concealed weapons but that should be a very short and concise list and boundaries would need to be crisp and clear.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 11:12 pm

BettaPonic wrote:

By checking the link I have provided one could conclude that the DHS is already interested in the Antifa as part of their efforts against domestic terrorism. However a widespread official announcement of this fact would be nice.