Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:34 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I think normal people would find that to be unreasonable and rage filled rant without any real substance...just a string of insults.

I can see the substance of what they're saying, not to say it's not an abusive rant though. However my comments were related to what people say on here, those are comments taken from somewhere else and pasted here, and because you disagree and you're easily offended you consider it to be simply racist with no substance. As this is a safe space for that view (the op's) the thread has continued in kind. Maybe all these ultra right wing members I've been hearing about will join the thread.....

I consider it to be racist/sexist with no substance because its drivel...not sure how recognizing it as such implies being easily offended. I actually find it a little more sad than offensive, i'd think it must be painful to have that much rage and hate flowing through them all the time.

Also I'd imagine while things do get heated here on this site, even most right wingers here would agree that, that kind of drivel doesn't have much substance and isn't useful dialogue.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:53 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Their have been plenty of very right wing people e.g. Adifferentname and Jacoby whom post on this forum.

Pardon?

Define which policies, principles, philosophies, etc I support which qualify me as "very right wing".

As for your argument with Naked Ape, I'm disinclined to comment either way without being privy to the actual conversation between you. That is to say, I have no trouble believing he's a grade A pillock when criticised, but I'm not in the habit of listening and believing either.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm

Naked Ape, Hunter Avallone, and Paul Joseph Watson are fond of using the word autism as an insult. That should tell you how messed up they are.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 3:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I consider it to be racist/sexist with no substance because its drivel...

Interesting...so you don't say things are racist because they're racist, you say they're racist if they're "drivel". I'm always accusing you people of calling everything racist not because it is but because you want to shut down dialog. At least I finally got a confession. Something is racist in your mind if it's "drivel".

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also I'd imagine while things do get heated here on this site, even most right wingers here would agree that, that kind of drivel doesn't have much substance and isn't useful dialogue.

It's not about your political affiliation, it's about understanding plain English. You don't need to be political to do that. If you couldn't extract any meaning from the text then maybe you should spend more time understanding English and less time calling things you don't understand "racist".

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 3:45 pm

Marknis wrote:
Naked Ape, Hunter Avallone, and Paul Joseph Watson are fond of using the word autism as an insult. That should tell you how messed up they are.

Paul Joseph Watson spent all his time making videos about 9/11 being an inside job. Now there's more views in right wing views he's done a 180 and talks about that instead. His boss also admitted in his custody / divorce action that his InfoWars stuff is just a performance act.

The problem with YouTube is that people do make controversial videos just for the money, the trick is to spot who is doing it.

BTW it's not even that bad an insult, far worse is said by left wing zealots on here. The fact the the abuse is protected and sanctioned doesn't make it any less bad.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:03 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I consider it to be racist/sexist with no substance because its drivel...

Interesting...so you don't say things are racist because they're racist, you say they're racist if they're "drivel". I'm always accusing you people of calling everything racist not because it is but because you want to shut down dialog. At least I finally got a confession. Something is racist in your mind if it's "drivel".

Sweetleaf wrote:

It's not about your political affiliation, it's about understanding plain English. You don't need to be political to do that. If you couldn't extract any meaning from the text then maybe you should spend more time understanding English and less time calling things you don't understand "racist".

Quote:
It's black behavior that causes black poverty, and demorats are just capitalising on guilty sh***ibs who've never experienced the ignorance and vice of the present black community to blame it all on muh raycism and gib more money fo dem programs.

Quote:
"I have a lot of better things to do than talk to some marxoid cockhead. Also, family breakdown is caused mostly by women, not by poverty."

black behavior causes poverty? family breakdown is caused by women? a racist and a sexist comment, that is why it is sexist and racist. It's drivel because its ranting, raving rhetoric.

Also by no substance I mean nothing of value was said, not that I don't understand the meaning. If you think that youtuber is a reasonable example of what a right winger should strive for than you can certainly go follow his channel, I don't really care.

Beginning to think you are making controversial posts for attention, so carry on by all means...but for me there is nothing else to see here.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:27 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
It's black behavior that causes black poverty

Would you admit that there is a culture in black communities where underachieving is praised and success via legitimate means chastised?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:29 pm

Marknis wrote:

It tells me you're offended by their ignorance, not that they're "messed up", whatever that's supposed to mean. An optimist might point out that the currently trending "autism meme" is at least raising awareness of the existence of autism, if not understanding of it.

Incidentally, in most instances that I've witnessed "autism" (or one of its variants) used as an insult, it would have been more appropriate to suggest the target might suffer from "narcissism" or "BPD".

Sweetleaf wrote:
black behavior causes poverty? family breakdown is caused by women? a racist and a sexist comment, that is why it is sexist and racist. It's drivel because its ranting, raving rhetoric.

I'm not actually sure what's meant by "black behaviour". Assuming it refers to a specific sub-culture or cultural behaviour, it's less "racist" and more "vague, simplistic and of limited usefulness".

Suggesting family breakdown is caused primarily by women isn't necessarily sexist, but it's not the kind of statement one should make without backing it up with some data (or at least some persuasive rhetoric) - especially if one perceives there to be an 'extreme left bias' on the board.

Quote:
Also by no substance I mean nothing of value was said

There's insufficient supporting data to know whether or not what was said was "of value". In other words, I agree that it was insubstantial, but not with your reasoning as to why.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:32 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
marshall wrote:
This guy is a typical specimen of the millennial contingent of the US/UK far right. They are a product of the protected "safe space" of internet anonymity.

The op has taken their debate from a forum they can't control where they are exposed to views that differ from their own, into a forum where he is safe from opposing views, where he knows people will abuse and insult the op's opponent and such abuse will not only be tolerated but protected. Furthermore the new space is also one in which anyone who doesn't support the op will also be abused and again that abuse protected.

For example I'll probably be called all sorts of names when I'm simply pointing out hypocrisy.

So kindly please tell me exactly *who* is using "protected safe space" to further their goals?
I would say anyone who has experienced a guy being an idiot to them has the right to laugh it off. I didn't exactly expect you to constantly agree with me, did I?

Wouldn't call this place a safe space. Their have been plenty of very right wing people e.g. Adifferentname and Jacoby whom post on this forum. I actually messaged Naked Ape as I thought his youtube persona was one that was different from his persona elsewhere. I was massively mistaken. Here was a person whom I wanted to engage in rational discourse with but couldn't. He played an idiot over again to such a level as to make Sean Hannity cringe.

Who cares? You encountered a D-bag, no more or less representative of a particular viewpoint than you can find on either side of the debate - there are jackasses everywhere. Instead of just walking away, and ignoring the troll, you came back here to your echo chamber to commiserate with cronies and name-call the name-caller.

In spite of repeating your opponent's antagonistic language verbatim, you never once gave a single consideration to whether or not he made any legitimate points, because you are, and always were, convinced that your viewpoint couldn't possibly be anything but 100% correct. When you couldn't win an argument with someone who disagrees, you come running back to a place where you can bask in the reassurance of people you already know hold the same viewpoint, no matter whether it's right or wrong, because you don't want to learn anything, you don't want to confront uncomfortable truth, you only want to be right.

And that can only be guaranteed by revisiting the same cherry-picked factoids, parroting the same tired talking points, hiding behind the same denials, and ridiculing the opposition with the same smug, patronizations and the same condescending stereotypes you've come to depend on.

"He played an idiot over again to such a level as to make Sean Hannity cringe." Not the sort of remark one should expect from someone only interested in "rational discourse," but typical of Leftist condescension and ridicule. As Chichikov pointed out, hypocrisy.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:34 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Would you admit that there is a culture in black communities where underachieving is praised and success via legitimate means chastised?

Do you believe such behaviour is limited to black communities, or are you saying it's more endemic within such?

At this point I suggest that you present your entire argument as best you can rather than teasing it out. It might make for a more productive discussion.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:36 pm

So, racist and sexist rants need to be examined to the smallest detail before they're declared racist/sexist?

Lovely.....

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:39 pm

Chichikov wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
As a moderator who has to deal with the countless partisan spats on this site, I can say the following:

Right-wingers think this forum is massively biases towards the left, and left-wingers think this forum is massively biased towards the right.

I'm at the point I just smile and nod at both. :skull:

I think you mean normal people think the forum has a left wing bias and those with the left wing bias think everyone who has a different opinion from them is a nazi.

I'd say this thread is fairly typical of most political threads on this forum so we'll let people read it and come to their own conclusions about who the vocal minority are.

No, I mean left-wingers think this forum is biased toward the right, and right-wingers think this forum is biased towards the left.

Experience is speaking, here.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:39 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
So, racist and sexist rants need to be examined to the smallest detail before they're declared racist/sexist?

Lovely.....

Sadly, yes they do in these times. Too many people too willing to label anything they don't agree with as sexist or racist or some other - ist.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Lovely.....

So a declaration that a "rant" is racist and sexist is all that is required to render it so? What a convenient and powerful tool! I'm utterly shocked that I don't see it being used multiple times per day by people trying to push their agenda!

By (the actual) definition, racism requires either a belief in the superiority of one's own race or a belief that there are specific traits attached to either race or ethnicity. When no such belief is expressed, you can bet your ass I'll seek clarification before exercising my own judgement.

Sexism implies stereotyping, prejudice or discrimination on the basis of sex. That wasn't necessarily true of the quoted statement, and I'm interested in seeing the "working out".

If that doesn't appeal to you, that's your prerogative. Mine is to do my own thinking and to make my own decisions.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 5:31 pm

will@rd wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
marshall wrote:
This guy is a typical specimen of the millennial contingent of the US/UK far right. They are a product of the protected "safe space" of internet anonymity.

The op has taken their debate from a forum they can't control where they are exposed to views that differ from their own, into a forum where he is safe from opposing views, where he knows people will abuse and insult the op's opponent and such abuse will not only be tolerated but protected. Furthermore the new space is also one in which anyone who doesn't support the op will also be abused and again that abuse protected.

For example I'll probably be called all sorts of names when I'm simply pointing out hypocrisy.

So kindly please tell me exactly *who* is using "protected safe space" to further their goals?
I would say anyone who has experienced a guy being an idiot to them has the right to laugh it off. I didn't exactly expect you to constantly agree with me, did I?

Wouldn't call this place a safe space. Their have been plenty of very right wing people e.g. Adifferentname and Jacoby whom post on this forum. I actually messaged Naked Ape as I thought his youtube persona was one that was different from his persona elsewhere. I was massively mistaken. Here was a person whom I wanted to engage in rational discourse with but couldn't. He played an idiot over again to such a level as to make Sean Hannity cringe.

Who cares? You encountered a D-bag, no more or less representative of a particular viewpoint than you can find on either side of the debate - there are jackasses everywhere. Instead of just walking away, and ignoring the troll, you came back here to your echo chamber to commiserate with cronies and name-call the name-caller.

In spite of repeating your opponent's antagonistic language verbatim, you never once gave a single consideration to whether or not he made any legitimate points, because you are, and always were, convinced that your viewpoint couldn't possibly be anything but 100% correct. When you couldn't win an argument with someone who disagrees, you come running back to a place where you can bask in the reassurance of people you already know hold the same viewpoint, no matter whether it's right or wrong, because you don't want to learn anything, you don't want to confront uncomfortable truth, you only want to be right.

And that can only be guaranteed by revisiting the same cherry-picked factoids, parroting the same tired talking points, hiding behind the same denials, and ridiculing the opposition with the same smug, patronizations and the same condescending stereotypes you've come to depend on.

"He played an idiot over again to such a level as to make Sean Hannity cringe." Not the sort of remark one should expect from someone only interested in "rational discourse," but typical of Leftist condescension and ridicule. As Chichikov pointed out, hypocrisy.

You run up to me unprovoked and slap me in the face. I slap you back. If you think the two actions are equivalent, there is something very wrong.

Isn't it ridiculous to think you can just came at someone with verbal abuse and expect a civil response?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 5:43 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

And you stop there because you want people to just assume it's all because black people just suck. It couldn't possibly be that something else lead to that culture in the first place, could it? Also, please note that there is a big difference between pointing out a cause for a maladaptive culture and making a moral excuse for it.