Why are the radical left extremists still getting their way?

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 6:48 am

Lintar wrote:
marshall wrote:
Some of the views of PETA on animal rights are considered "extreme" now, but in the future technology/culture may evolve to the point where humans no longer slaughter animals for food.

No, PETA will always be viewed as being extreme, because the beliefs they base their actions upon are completely unjustifiable and objectively wrong. I don't see how "technology" will allow us to forego eating animals, and I don't particularly like the idea of becoming a vegetarian due to the "evolving culture" you mention. I guess I can hope that by the time this happens (i.e. it becomes as "uncool" to eat meat as it is now to smoke cigarettes) I won't be around anymore.

I don't think you understand what you mean by "objectively wrong". Also, in the future we will be probably be able to grow meat without raising and killing live sentient animals. That is if civilization doesn't collapse before that.

Quote:
Whilst I support the idea that we should be humane when it comes to the treatment of animals, and despise cruelty in any form, I also don't believe that animals have "rights"; that idea is one that PETA subscribes to, but it makes no sense.

It makes no sense because you disagree with it. Giving up eating meat and diary would be inconvenient for you. Everything else is rationalization. You can persuade, but you can't objectively "prove" anything. Most people understand that "rights" don't exist in nature. A scientist can't go out looking for them. That doesn't mean most people haven't accepted the "existence" of human "rights". A "right" is a social agreement, not a fact.

Anyways I'm on your side. I eat meat. I just admit that I can't "prove" PETA wrong. I do however realize that animal farming is highly inefficient in terms of use of energy and resource usage. I think if humanity moves away from meat-eating, it will be for practical rather than moralistic reasons, but after the change occurs people will see our previous ways as barbaric and backwards. I can't say I'm completely sure though. The way things are going I don't know if civilization will continue to advance. People are becoming afraid and backward looking these days, and if history is any indication that usually spells decline.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 7:26 am

Chichikov wrote:
Do you even know what you're writing?

It's not my fault you don't have the patience to read or think for yourself.

Quote:
Look at that wall of crap, all to try and argue that being emotionally involved in something makes you better placed to be objective.

I didn't say it makes people more objective, just not necessarily less. Empathy (i.e. being able to see an issue from both sides) makes people more objective. Also, as far as I can tell you are in denial about your level of emotional involvement. You don't get angry about racists when your race isn't the one being insulted/attacked. Yet you DO get angry and stubborn when your own beliefs are challenged. Your unwillingness to read or try to understand anything I say is evidence.

Quote:
Something everyone knows simply isn't true.

Typical fallacy of appealing to "common sense". Why is what "everyone knows" superior to an ACTUAL DEFINITION. Sometimes "everyone" is an idiot.

When there is a trial the jury is set to determine whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty of a crime. In this case emotional detachment is desirable because the determination is PURELY FACTUAL. It isn't the jury's duty to determine the punishment/settlement. That would be a MORAL determination (i.e. not factual). In that case, being unable to see both sides makes a person MORE biased, not less. Most political arguments are more akin to determining a settlement in a civil case (i.e. conflict resolution) than a jury determining whether a defendant is guilty of a crime or not.

Quote:
You're only beating this dead horse as you're trying to continue an argument from a closed thread and you're trying to continue over all the silly accusations you made about me into this thread in some pathetic hope that I going to bite.

Whatever. Your response isn't important. I'm more interested in people with a more open mind reading what I have to say.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 7:37 am

marshall wrote:

Wow, when refusing to bite troll brait that really was the last thing I expected you to say. I mean....No-one has ever responded like that before. You sir are an absolute genius.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:05 am

The radical left extremists are not getting their way.

What happens is the right wing guys on the internet exaggerate to make it seem like the left wing extremists are getting their way and then they get mad about stuff that didn't actually happen.

A good example of this would be the videos on Youtube proclaiming that Swedish schools have gone genderless or that Sweden has stopped using gender specific pronouns.

The truth is that one kindergarten in the whole country has self-imposed this policy. It was never considered by the Swedish board of education. Yet a bunch of Anglophone Youtubers make it sound like it's being practiced in every school in Sweden. They call themselves skeptics yet they never bother with basic fact checking.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:08 am

Chichikov wrote:
marshall wrote:

Wow, when refusing to bite troll brait that really was the last thing I expected you to say. I mean....No-one has ever responded like that before. You sir are an absolute genius.

Nice projection there. If I was posting troll bait you wouldn't see so much effort from me in debunking all of your nonsense. I'm sorry you can't comprehend anything beyond cave-man grunts and "muh, common sense... you wrong". You aren't the target audience. I already know you're a lost cause. It was obvious from the beginning. By all means though, keep providing more and more rope to hang yourself with.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:10 am

marshall wrote:
I'm sorry you can't comprehend anything beyond cave-man grunts and "muh, common sense... you wrong".

OMG, you've hit me with it again! I'm being destroyed here by your superior debating skills. Have some mercy!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:17 am

Chichikov wrote:
marshall wrote:
I'm sorry you can't comprehend anything beyond cave-man grunts and "muh, common sense... you wrong".

OMG, you've hit me with it again! I'm being destroyed here by your superior debating skills. Have some mercy!

Vacuous sarcastic response. How clever.

Whatever. I'm done.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:23 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:

What happens is the right wing guys on the internet exaggerate to make it seem like the left wing extremists are getting their way and then they get mad about stuff that didn't actually happen.

A good example of this would be the videos on Youtube proclaiming that Swedish schools have gone genderless or that Sweden has stopped using gender specific pronouns.

The truth is that one kindergarten in the whole country has self-imposed this policy. It was never considered by the Swedish board of education. Yet a bunch of Anglophone Youtubers make it sound like it's being practiced in every school in Sweden. They call themselves skeptics yet they never bother with basic fact checking.

It's so sad they just focus nonstop on nonsense like this.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:32 am

marshall wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

It's so sad they just focus nonstop on nonsense like this.

Yep. The left is just the new moral panic.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:53 am

The whole left of center Trump hating America is not Antifa/SJW
Pelosi on violent Antifa members: Lock them up

Sanders Slams UC Berkeley's Anti-Free Speech Zealots: 'It's A Sign Of Intellectual Weakness'

'There's no room for anything manly now': Feminist writer Camille Paglia speaks out AGAINST the loss of masculine virtues and its negative impact on society

That said the SJW left thinking has gained a frightening level of influence a number of American Universities because of sympathetic and weak administrations. That emotional thinking is creeping into business decisions by companies such as Apple and Google out of sympathy or wanting to market to what they think millennials want. Campuses are where the next leaders come from. The business going along tend to be the ones considered cool and culturally influential. The critics like me and the people linked above are old.

So the fear of American core values will be decimated by this mentality has some merit. What is a much better candidate for a moral panic is the fear that America is now Germany circa 1932 or the reconstruction era. These flag waving Nazi KKK types are a few hundred or thousand people with puny influence. Thier "threat" is created by people who want to censor thought, get rid of Trump and media looking for ratings. Trump has fallen right into their trap repeatedly and enthusiastically.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2017, 7:43 pm

I don't fear the radical left, I don't really fear the radical right either I fear the right in general. The left isn't perfect but the policies and practices of a lot of the right have been straight up evil, there's just not much of another word for it

From trying to repeal and deplete ACA for namesake and putting on an atrocious healthcare plan to funneling environmental budgets for nonexistent causes and ending programs like the DACA. Don't always agree with them but I trust the conscious of the left much more than the opposing... Not that either is ever right.

Never been on a site with so many right-leaning supporters, nice to see

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:10 pm

Chichikov wrote:
They main feature of any extreme left culture has been the mass suffering of its people.

No, every extreme culture, not "extreme LEFT culture". Do you think the folks in charge of I.S.I.S. or the Taliban are in any sense "left-wing"? Do they support women's rights or free health care?

Chichikov wrote:
I suppose I could link you articles about the various mass starvations that happened in the Soviet Union, China etc, the various humanitarian disasters etc and you'd just say they're all rubbish too.

Well then, do so. Link away! I will be the judge of whether or not they are "all rubbish", but if they are indeed rubbish then it will be because anyone with an impartial view of the facts will be able to decide, based upon what you provide, whether or not a case can be made for what you believe about what you have labelled "extreme left culture". What about extreme right culture? Doesn't that exist? Your failure to mention it is telling (and rather disturbing, because it indicates bias).

Chichikov wrote:
Every extreme left culture has failed or is failing, the suffering inflicted on its people huge, it's well documented. Sorry if this seemingly new information to you has come as a shock.

No, your lies do not shock me at all. It's what I've come to expect from the Ultra-Right of the political spectrum over the years, and I would probably actually miss it if those who like to call themselves "conservatives" started speaking the truth for once (which of course isn't going to happen).

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm

marshall wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
They main feature of any extreme left culture has been the mass suffering of its people.

Why does Scandinavia have such a high standard of living?

Quote:
I suppose I could link you articles about the various mass starvations that happened in the Soviet Union, China etc, the various humanitarian disasters etc and you'd just say they're all rubbish too.

China isn't left-wing.

Scandinavia isn't extreme left

http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/sorry-libe ... t-utopias/

It is according to the typical right-winger here in the US. Hell, to the American right, Canada is extreme left. People from the UK simply do not understand how nutty US economic conservatism is. It is now almost as much of a secular religion is Marxist Communism was in the Soviet Union.

Exactly, it's a matter of degree and perspective, and yet Chichikov seems to believe in something called "extreme left culture". 'Extreme' according to what criteria? How is such an amorphous, relative and abstract concept actually measured? Against what is it measured? It is objectively meaningless (and yes, I DO know what the word 'objective' means).

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:25 pm

marshall wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
marshall wrote:

Vacuous sarcastic response. How clever.

Whatever. I'm done.

Yes, his failure to provide an adequate response is a sure indicator that he actually has no response worth giving to offer. It signifies defeat, it's an admission of an inability to further support one's argument, one's position.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:36 pm

marshall wrote:
I don't think you understand what you mean by "objectively wrong".

Okay, then just plain old wrong then.

marshall wrote:
Also, in the future we will be probably be able to grow meat without raising and killing live sentient animals. That is if civilization doesn't collapse before that.

"Grow" meat without raising animals? Ur, no. Any "meat" produced this way would be so artificial that it couldn't even be called food. Yuk.

marshall wrote:
It makes no sense because you disagree with it. Giving up eating meat and diary would be inconvenient for you. Everything else is rationalization. You can persuade, but you can't objectively "prove" anything.

Proof is irrelevant. It's evidence that counts, not proof. I can't even prove to you that I even exist, but the evidence of the text before you is suggestive that I do.

marshall wrote:
Most people understand that "rights" don't exist in nature. A scientist can't go out looking for them.

Science isn't everything. There is only so much it can accomplish.

marshall wrote:
Anyways I'm on your side. I eat meat. I just admit that I can't "prove" PETA wrong.

You don't need to. It is up to them to give their reasons, based upon what evidence they have, that they are right.

marshall wrote:
I do however realize that animal farming is highly inefficient in terms of use of energy and resource usage. I think if humanity moves away from meat-eating, it will be for practical rather than moralistic reasons, but after the change occurs people will see our previous ways as barbaric and backwards. I can't say I'm completely sure though. The way things are going I don't know if civilization will continue to advance. People are becoming afraid and backward looking these days, and if history is any indication that usually spells decline.

Yes, we agree - civilisation is now in serious decline. What so many seem to think of as being progress just isn't, as far as I'm concerned (ex. GM "foods" - ugh! Give that poison to someone else).

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:37 pm

Lintar wrote:
No, every extreme culture, not "extreme LEFT culture".

I was referring to comments regarding the extreme left though which is why I constrained my reply to the extreme left. It's called keeping on topic.

Lintar wrote:
Well then, do so. Link away! I will be the judge of whether or not they are "all rubbish"

Nah you're ok, you're not the first person I've seen who's style of arguing is to make statements then simply dismiss any evidence given to the contrary as being from a flawed source. I find it quite tedious to be honest. I mean at you really saying you don't accept that past extreme left governments have failed and been disastrous for their people? If you refuse to accept that then there's no point discussing the subject in general.

Lintar wrote:
No, your lies do not shock me at all. It's what I've come to expect from the Ultra-Right

Lol what are you talking about now? Are you saying I'm ultra right? Because I simply point out a fact that all extreme left governments have failed I must be ultra right? Where is the logic in that at all? Can't I just be someone stating the obvious? In your mind does everyone have to be an extremist? You're just one of a long list of people who does nothing but throw slurs and names at people who say something you disagree with. "He says communist governments have failed, he must be a Nazi racist!"

Listen to yourself, it's pathetic.