Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 9:14 am

Maher: "Liberal purists are the problem."

Has Bill Maher ever looked at any other developed country? Of course not.

Look at the developed world as a whole. You will clearly see that Sanders is just a garden variety liberal. Clinton is a conservative. Trump is so right-wing, he's off the scale.

Other Reasons to Hate Maher:

- He supports PETA.
- He supported SOPA.
- He's an anti-vaxxer and a germ theory denialist.
- He made fun of Steve Irwin's death less than a year after it happened.
- He's just a pompous ass.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Sep 2017, 11:04 am

Sanders isn't a liberal. He's a left wing social democrat with little interest in liberalism.

Clinton isn't a conservative although arguably she once was. I don't know if you could quite call her a liberal, but she's more liberal than Sanders, and is a progressive centrist.

Trump has some extreme views, but his economic views are not "off the scale" and actually borrow quite a bit from far-left thinking (particularly on trade, although not taxation). His extreme views are his white nationalism, which although usually associated with right-wing views, isn't necessarily right-wing.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 11:39 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Sanders isn't a liberal. He's a left wing social democrat with little interest in liberalism.

Social democracy is a type of liberalism. The truest type of liberalism is social anarchy, but it will take centuries for humanity to achieve that.

What you seem to define as "liberalism" is what I would call corporate "liberalism". Can you really call yourself a liberator when you won't do anything about the corporate corruption of democracy?

Quote:
Clinton isn't a conservative although arguably she once was. I don't know if you could quite call her a liberal, but she's more liberal than Sanders, and is a progressive centrist.

Clinton thinks that universal health care is "unrealistic".

In most developed countries, not even the conservatives believe that.

Clinton is no liberal.

Quote:
Trump has some extreme views, but his economic views are not "off the scale" and actually borrow quite a bit from far-left thinking (particularly on trade, although not taxation).

Being anti-globalization doesn't always make you left-leaning. Your reasons matter. Most opponents of globalization don't want people in the third world to be financially exploited. Trump claims that he supports "economic patriotism".

Quote:
His extreme views are his white nationalism, which although usually associated with right-wing views, isn't necessarily right-wing.

How exactly is white nationalism "not necessarily right-wing"?

White nationalism runs on an extreme version of conservative rhetoric. "Remember the good old days when a black man could be shot for kissing a white woman? Remember the good old days when blackface gags were used unironically in children's television? Remember when every black woman on TV was a fat mammy?"

Right-wing politics is about two things.

1. giving more power to those who are already powerful
2. "Remember the good old days?"

White nationalism is a form of right-wing extremism.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 12:47 pm

Trump isn't a white nationalist. He's just an as*hole who attracts all kinds of far right people because far right people are usually as*holes.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 1:52 pm

marshall wrote:
Trump isn't a white nationalist. He's just an as*hole who attracts all kinds of far right people because far right people are usually as*holes.

I'm gonna agree with you. Trump uses racist dog whistles all the time, but he probably doesn't believe most of what he spews.

Most WNs are poor people who lack class consciousness. The media constantly says "Those minorities are just animals! They are bent on your destruction." The WNs are people who say "Okay then. Why can't we just deport the sons of b*****s?"

Media bosses try to stir up racial tension all the time, but they almost never advocate deportation because that would end the racial antagonism that they need as a useful distraction.

That's why Trump keeps flip-flopping on his immigration plan. That's the point. He's trying to keep us on our toes in order to incite racial tension.

He's one sly bastard. I'll give him that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 7:06 pm

I agree there's a lot dislikeable about Maher (I hate the way he fat shames in particular), but he still makes me laugh.