Since when did "Pocahontas" become a racist slur?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 3:49 pm

Darmok wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
GoSensGo wrote:
He's using it to make fun of a woman who shamelessly lied about being a Native American to get into a prestigious school. Nothing racist about it. But you have to remember that these claims are coming from the same people who claimed he was racist because he was against illegal immigration.

Isn't she part Cherokee? I think I read that she was at least 1/32 Cherokee. If so, she was not lying.

No, she isn't part Cherokee. She lied about being part Cherokee in order to get affirmative action preferences in hiring and advance her career at the expense of actual minorities. Warren, aka Fauxcahontas, aka Lie-a-watha, is a sleazy lying fraud.

Her main claim to being part Cherokee was based on family stories passed down over the past few generations. There is at least one document from more than a century ago identifying her great-great-grandmother (I think) as being Cherokee.

What she did not do was maintain a tribal affiliation, but I don't know that she claimed any tribal affiliation. I used to have a neighbor who was 1/32 Cherokee who did maintain her tribal affiliation.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
OH!! !

Well excuse me!

Trump was not being a racist.

He was being an equal opportunity as*hole!

And...

An equal opportunity idiot!

Well, THANK YOU mr. OP, for straightening THAT our for us all! As if that even makes a difference! :lol:

Trump is an as*hole but I was using the Pocahontus controversy to make a few points that have nothing to do with Trump or Pocahontas.

The definition of racist has been expanded way beyond the pale and that the slur “racist” is used for too many situations where another more accurate pejorative would be in order. A racist slur should be used to describe a slur against against a specific race not an all purpose description to describe slurs against any group of people like it is today. Bieng an as*hole or bieng childish is not the same thing as being a bigot. The caviar way “racist”, “racial slur” is tossed around both cheapens the negative power of those terms and the bad thing the person accused of being a racist actually did or is.

I also was criticizing the tendancy to make a word a horrible slur because bullies use it in a negative context. That is a problem for us with “Autism” at the moment.

The fact that the word "Pochahantas" was never, cant ever, and likely will never, be considered a racial slur in the way that "k*e" or the "N word" is is irrelevant. It depends upon the context.

It could be a racial slur in a context.

If I (White guy) have a fender bender with you, and you happened to be of Dominican descent, and when I am telling my side of the story to the traffic cop, and I say "I was drivin' down the friggin road mindin' my own business, and then Sammy Sosa here cuts me the hell off..." then in that context the name "Sammy Sosa" becomes a racial slur. That's a common New York thing calling folks by the name of the most famous person in the world of their ethnic group.

The only Native American woman most Americans have ever heard of is Pochohantas. So in some contexts the name "Pochohantas" could definitely be racist.

Trump makes a habit of calling Warren by that name to slam her as individual for trading on (supposedily unreal) native American ancestry. So you could argue that he isn't slamming a real Indian. But he choose this moment to let his current petty legislative squabble with warren leak out like a Freudian slip. So it was very impolitic (for a number of reasons). So parsing whether its racist, or he was just being so incompetent that he caused himself to just look racist seems like splitting hairs to me.

No one is suggesting the either the name Pochohantas or the name Sammy Sosa should be censored.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 4:32 pm

The current chief of the Cherokee Nation is Bill John Baker and he is only 1/32 Cherokee.

GoSensGo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2017, 4:42 pm

Whether Warren is or isn't N.A. isn't relevant in this case IMO because Trump is operating under the premise that she isn't N.A. So he's calling (what he believes to be) a white woman "Pocahontas" because, in his opinion, she lied about being N.A. His intent is pretty clear here, and I think any claims of racism on his part is really stretching it.

A lot of people hate Trump and feel he's a racist, so when incidents like this come up, confirmation bias takes over in a lot of cases.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 4:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pocahontas is a native American historical figure and a Disney movie character.

First of all Native Americans are not a race!!

What Trump did in calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas" was childish and a stupid analogy, not racist or even a slur against Native Americans. In that speech he praised those Native Americans for being war heroes and reminded everyone that they were here first an important point I do not recall ever hearing a political figure say. Then in typical Trump fashion he botched it trying to compare Warren's being in Congress "too long" with Native Americans being here first. So he used her in a pejorative way why should that make using her name a slur against Native Americans? If in front a Jewish audience he used "Moses" as an out of date analogy does that mean "Moses" becomes a antisemitic slur? Unfortunately in 2017 America the answer would be yes.

Remember folks don't call anybody the "P-Word" or prepare to face the consequences. WP get up to date and star out "Pocahontas"(sarcasm).

The name its-self is not a slur but when used mockingly like Trump used it, then it kind of is, I wouldn't say it is on the same level as calling someone the N word but yeah I don't think trump was using it to appropriately reference the native american historical figure by that name he was using it to mock someone. Also he sarcastically praised them, at least that is what it looked like to me 'oh wow you're really important people, you were even here before any of us.' said in a condescending tone of voice.

It didn't seem like trump was being very respectful of those native american veterans at all.

Also native american is a race/ethnicity...unless you subscribe to the philosophy that race/ethnicity don't exist at all, which I myself am not really on board with.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 4:53 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pocahontas is a native American historical figure and a Disney movie character.

What Trump did in calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas" was childish and a stupid analogy, not racist or even a slur against Native Americans. In that speech he praised those Native Americans for being war heroes and reminded everyone that they were here first an important point I do not recall ever hearing a political figure say. Then in typical Trump fashion he botched it trying to compare Warren's being in Congress "too long" with Native Americans being here first. So he used her in a pejorative way why should that make using her name a slur against Native Americans? If in front a Jewish audience he used "Moses" as an out of date analogy does that mean "Moses" becomes a antisemitic slur? Unfortunately in 2017 America the answer would be yes.

Remember folks don't call anybody the "P-Word" or prepare to face the consequences. WP get up to date and star out "Pocahontas"(sarcasm).

The name its-self is not a slur but when used mockingly like Trump used it, then it kind of is, I wouldn't say it is on the same level as calling someone the N word but yeah I don't think trump was using it to appropriately reference the native american historical figure by that name he was using it to mock someone. Also he sarcastically praised them, at least that is what it looked like to me 'oh wow you're really important people, you were even here before any of us.' said in a condescending tone of voice.

It didn't seem like trump was being very respectful of those native american veterans at all.

Also native american is a race/ethnicity...unless you subscribe to the philosophy that race/ethnicity don't exist at all, which I myself am not really on board with.

Trump loves to denigrate people he despises by giving him such names.

It isn't at all Presidential, but I guess the voters in the last election didn't want a President who actually acts Presidential. That applies to both Trump supporters and Clinton supporters.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 5:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

sorry, European here, not well educated on this particular matter - just read wikipedia, where it sounded like native american is very much considered a race (however that term is defined).

so.. I don't get OP's statement. Anyone care to explain, please?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 5:57 pm

shlaifu wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

sorry, European here, not well educated on this particular matter - just read wikipedia, where it sounded like native american is very much considered a race (however that term is defined).

As I understand it there are 3 races to put it crudely, White, Black, and Yellow. It is possible that I am a clueless old man and that as with the definition of racism the definition of race has been expanded probably for political agenda purposes.

Yes Native American can certainly be an identity. Native American is one of few "politically correct" terms I favor because it is less inaccurate then the old term "Indian"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 6:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

The fact that the word "Pochahantas" was never, cant ever, and likely will never, be considered a racial slur in the way that "k*e" or the "N word" is is irrelevant. It depends upon the context.

No one is suggesting the either the name Pochohantas or the name Sammy Sosa should be censored.

Could be just a matter of time the way things are going.

The term "K-Word" has not replaced "k*e".
As a Jew I'm offended. Must be proof of Christian latent anti-Jewish feelings. (sarcasm)

Getting more serious as a person who was called "k*e" often when bullied and whose synagogue was often vandalized back on Jewish religious days in the 60's and '70's before these things were reported in the news, I hope the "K-Word" never replaces "k*e" when the use of the term is being described.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 28 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 6:21 pm

Darmok wrote:
Warren, aka Fauxcahontas, aka Lie-a-watha, ...

Now that's funny! :P

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 6:22 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

As I understand it there are 3 races to put it crudely, White, Black, and Yellow. It is possible that I am a clueless old man and that as with the definition of racism the definition of race has been expanded probably for political agenda purposes.

Yes Native American can certainly be an identity. Native American is one of few "politically correct" terms I favor because it is less inaccurate then the old term "Indian"

4 races, to my understanding ... Red, White, Black, and Yellow.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 6:26 pm

kokopelli wrote:
From what I understand, the old census records generally just had choices for "white", "negro", and "mulatto". Indians checked "white". Also, if you were identified as an Indian, you had far less rights than if you were identified as white so many Indians reportedly would not identify themselves as Indians in documents.

I've heard that even nowadays, it's safest not to identify as Indian / Native American on forms where it asks your race or ethnicity, if you wish to avoid discrimination.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Darmok wrote:

She's acquired quite a few names for her fraud.

There Are Four Lights!

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:02 pm

Darmok wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
Darmok wrote:

She's acquired quite a few names for her fraud.

It's only a fraud if
1) she is not part Cherokee,
2) she knew she isn't part Cherokee but claimed she was, and
3) she made the claims for the purpose of getting some kind of benefit.

If she is not part Cherokee (which remains to be proven) but thought that she is part Cherokee and claimed that she is part Cherokee, then she would have made an error. There would be no fraud or lying involved.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 7:58 am

I just enjoy watching uptight people flipping out over every little thing Trump says or tweets. I was lmao at all the headlines yesterday.

GoSensGo

29 Nov 2017, 8:52 am

EzraS wrote:
I just enjoy watching uptight people flipping out over every little thing Trump says or tweets. I was lmao at all the headlines yesterday.

Same here :lol:

I have to say, the entertainment value Trump has provided me from his campaign to his presidency has rivalled any TV show, movie or book I've ever enjoyed.

I really think he gets off on all of this. He'll put out a Tweet that sets the world ablaze and just sit back and chuckle.