Since when did "Pocahontas" become a racist slur?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 10:53 am

It was a day to honor the code talkers,what was the purpose of bringing "Pocahontas " into it?Instead of their day in the sun,he made it "his" day,drawing all the attention to himself,instead of those who deserved it.
How is that amusing?I found it tacky.
Those were REAL American heroes standing next to him,men deserving respect and honor, and he has to toss some of his political BS into it.
More like a spoiled child wanting the attention that others are getting.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 6:15 pm

Misslizard wrote:
It was a day to honor the code talkers,what was the purpose of bringing "Pocahontas " into it?Instead of their day in the sun,he made it "his" day,drawing all the attention to himself,instead of those who deserved it.
Those were REAL American heroes standing next to him,men deserving respect and honor, and he has to toss some of his political BS into it.

Well said.

Fortunately, I don't think that the code talkers there caught the reference.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 6:28 pm

GoSensGo wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I just enjoy watching uptight people flipping out over every little thing Trump says or tweets. I was lmao at all the headlines yesterday.

Same here :lol:

I have to say, the entertainment value Trump has provided me from his campaign to his presidency has rivalled any TV show, movie or book I've ever enjoyed.

I really think he gets off on all of this. He'll put out a Tweet that sets the world ablaze and just sit back and chuckle.

Well while you and some others are giggling...Trump is supposed to be the president, so he should get off twitter and start acting like one. The presidents job is not to constantly say and post stupid inflammatory things to piss people off thus adding to division among the population. If that is what he wants to do he should have stayed in the entertainment industry.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 6:32 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Exactly even if in this instance it wasn't a 'racial slur' because he didn't call an actual native american that, it was still disrespectful of him to bring up some of his political drama B.S...when he was supposed to be honoring those people. Also his condescending tone towards them also seemed rather disrespectful.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 8:44 pm

GoSensGo wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I just enjoy watching uptight people flipping out over every little thing Trump says or tweets. I was lmao at all the headlines yesterday.

I have to say, the entertainment value Trump has provided me from his campaign to his presidency has rivalled any TV show, movie or book I've ever enjoyed.

I really think he gets off on all of this. He'll put out a Tweet that sets the world ablaze and just sit back and chuckle.

What I like is if this is the current major upset making headlines, things must be going alright in the world for the moment.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 7:24 pm

EzraS wrote:

What I like is if this is the current major upset making headlines, things must be going alright in the world for the moment.

sorry. no.
global warming. automation. the rise of identity politics. the toxic byproducts of the undeniable success of capitalism.
civil wars and the waves of refugees they create and the western countries inability to rethink the problem and find practical solutions. international tax evasion. giant, supernatiknal corporations not bound by national law. modern day slavery. the collapse of the welfare state. mass unemployment in first world countries in europe.

all the other problems are big and complicated and, most of all, supernational and we have no body installed to tackle them in the slightest.

this is not so much the media distracting us, this us preferring a problem that's small and contained and social.
haha, trump did something horrible and stupid.
let's get drunk and dance away the night.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 4:08 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
GoSensGo wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Trump is supposed to be the president, so he should get off twitter and start acting like one.

it seems likely that his twitter posts are unscrutinized by his advisors, and since "social media" is the biggest microphone you can have to the masses, then it is wise of him to be modern and realize that a social media presence is essential to exposure in the most effective way.
we see what he really thinks. unlike the heavily scripted and sifted public releases of prior presidents which smacked of contrivedness, trump blurts his mind out with little thought to the reaction.

i find that refreshing. at least people know who trump really is whether they like it or not.
also, twitter is limited to about 160 characters, so it hardly eats up his time attending to business.

your stock market is going "gang busters" and your economy is growing healthily as a result of his tax reforms.

it will take a while to filter down to benefits for the poorest, but it will eventually.

everyone is like a pit bull terrier who just goes mad and locks their jaws on their prey and there are pictures of where they are beaten to death with their jaws still locked.

Sweetleaf wrote:
The presidents job is not to constantly say and post stupid inflammatory things to piss people off thus adding to division among the population. If that is what he wants to do he should have stayed in the entertainment industry.

it is unavoidable in this hyper sensitive world of bloggers who crave for things to voice their opinion about.

let's see how he deals with this n. korea crisis and the sudden revelation by russia that it is against sanctions.
that could mean a disaster in time if handled poorly.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:11 pm

Forgetting about Trump for a moment, hows about we check in with some real Indians and ask what they think of Elizabeth Warren? Here's one writing for the far-left ThinkProgress website:

In defending her supposed Native identity, Warren has drawn from both racist stereotypes and easily refutable stories about her family. At a 2012 press conference Warren stated that her family knew her grandfather was “part” Cherokee because “he had high cheekbones like all of the Indians.” Cherokee genealogists have pored through her family history to find that “None of her direct line ancestors are ever shown to be anything other than white, dating back to long before the Trail of Tears.” To add insult to injury, despite Warren’s public claims of Native American heritage, she has decidedly avoided talking with Native leaders and, in 2012, refused to meet with a group of Cherokee women at the Democratic National Convention.

https://thinkprogress.org/elizabeth-war ... c6c91b696/

There Are Four Lights!

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:37 pm

Darmok wrote:
Forgetting about Trump for a moment, hows about we check in with some real Indians and ask what they think of Elizabeth Warren? Here's one writing for the far-left ThinkProgress website:

In defending her supposed Native identity, Warren has drawn from both racist stereotypes and easily refutable stories about her family. At a 2012 press conference Warren stated that her family knew her grandfather was “part” Cherokee because “he had high cheekbones like all of the Indians.” Cherokee genealogists have pored through her family history to find that “None of her direct line ancestors are ever shown to be anything other than white, dating back to long before the Trail of Tears.” To add insult to injury, despite Warren’s public claims of Native American heritage, she has decidedly avoided talking with Native leaders and, in 2012, refused to meet with a group of Cherokee women at the Democratic National Convention.

https://thinkprogress.org/elizabeth-war ... c6c91b696/

Based on what? Census records? Supposedly the census records from back then didn't have a place to indicate that they were Native Americans. They choices were "white", "black", or "mulatto". Records do show that her relatives back then lived on Indian land.

It's certainly possible that she is not part Cherokee, but what you say is far from being proof.

For what it's worth, I'm part Cherokee. With my father dead, I wouldn't begin to know where to start to prove that, though. He knew everyone's names, where they lived, and their background going back several generations on his side of the family.

I don't even know many of my cousins who live within 20 miles. One time when I was a kid, we were driving by a residential street in another town 20 miles and my dad pointed to one house and told me that an aunt lived there. I never met that aunt and have no idea what her name was.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 2:09 pm

From what I remember,her family told her that she was part Cherokee.People tend to believe what their families say about relatives.So if she wasn't ,it was an honest mistake on her part.
Many people hid their heritage,they didn't want the stigma at that time.The first Cherokee reservation was here in the Ozarks,then they got relocated to OK.Some didn't want to go,so they passed themselves as white,took white names,married whites,etc....claimed to be Black Dutch,Black Irish,etc....
To get tribal recognition in OK,you have to have a direct ancestor on the Dawes roll.