Why do some people feel the need to denigrate the religious?

Page 5 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:22 pm

hurtloam wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Because to me "faith" is what made people torture and burn people who wanted to "know".

A christian is taking the side of people who tore the flesh off the bones of a librarian in 412 CE and ushered in the dark ages.

Religious people are fair game.

No they are not. They follow the Christ who never once tore the flesh off anyone.

Beginning a discussion with a lie is not a good way to start my friend.

Have you forgotten that Jesus flogged the merchants at the temple. That is a good way to get rid of flesh.

What about these words?

Luke 19:27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.

Those are just a small sample of why your ideology and religion are quite immoral and why Inquisitions and killing come so easily to it.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:29 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Because to me "faith" is what made people torture and burn people who wanted to "know".

A christian is taking the side of people who tore the flesh off the bones of a librarian in 412 CE and ushered in the dark ages.

Religious beliefs, like all beliefs, are fair game. Attack Christianity or the forms of Christianity that you object to. Attack Islam or the forms of Islam you object to. Attack Sikhism or the forms of Sikhism that you object to. But don't attack Christians, Muslims, or Sikhs, or any other religious group.

You're right that the "give away all my possessions" Christians are outnumbered by the "kill the unbelievers" Christians. But both groups are outnumbered by the "try to be the best person I can" Christians. Same with all other religions.

I disagree with your math.

A person cannot --- "try to be the best person I can", while following creeds and religions that are demonstrably immoral.

Any person who wished to try to be the best will reject all the mainstream supernaturally based religions.

Regards
DL

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:38 pm

Because both islam and christianity has views of homosexuality that are absolutely horrible and incompatible with modern society.

Also the supernatural stuff is just silly. It's no different than believing in dragons or unicorns.

Last edited by Closet Genious on 04 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:40 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Religious beliefs, like all beliefs, are fair game. Attack Christianity or the forms of Christianity that you object to. Attack Islam or the forms of Islam you object to. Attack Sikhism or the forms of Sikhism that you object to. But don't attack Christians, Muslims, or Sikhs, or any other religious group.

You're right that the "give away all my possessions" Christians are outnumbered by the "kill the unbelievers" Christians. But both groups are outnumbered by the "try to be the best person I can" Christians. Same with all other religions.

A person cannot --- "try to be the best person I can", while following creeds and religions that are demonstrably immoral.

Any person who wished to try to be the best will reject all the mainstream supernaturally based religions.

Regards
DL

In any religion, supernaturally based or not, it is a major problem when people choose to interpret it in such a way as to give them power over others.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:40 pm

bethannny wrote:
Religion is declining in western society except for the imported ''cough'' Islam. Most of western Europe, Canada, Australia and Japan are irreligious. Now that may not be the case in the U.S of course.

I'm from Canada and rarely ever meet religious people except for Muslim. An overwhelming amount of whites and Asians here have absolutely no belief in God. I myself do not either. I do not thinking about religion much but the only time I would ''denigrate'' a religious person is if they some how imposed themselves onto me. I would not go out of my way to ''get them'' I would just let them know I was not interested and did not want to hear it.

Yet, with misogyny and homophobia continuing to pollute our countries, thanks to religions, I would remind you that for evil to grow, all good people need do is just let them know you were not interested and did not want to hear it, --- and walk away without trying to change their immoral views.

If you were to succeed, you might have saved someone in your own family from a homophobe or misogynous encounter.

If we all did as you showed above, many more gays would die at Christian hands than presently do, even as Christianity continues to promote homophobia.

You are not thinking of the do unto others, --- or in this case, --- do for others what you would have wanted someone else to do so that you would not have to put up with homophobes and the misogynous.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
Because both islam and christianity has views of homosexuality that are absolutely horrible and incompatible with modern society.

Not to mention that all priests, preachers and imams are all perpetual liars who just want their lies to keep the cash for their con game to keep coming in.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 3:51 pm

kokopelli wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Regards
DL

In any religion, supernaturally based or not, it is a major problem when people choose to interpret it in such a way as to give them power over others.

That is hard to disagree with but I will.

I think you equate power with wealth. Correct me if wrong.

Power, if deserved and well applied and based on a moral ideology is the best for any nation, religion or tribe of any kind.

Think of what this song is telling you of what good power looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

Power that unites us is good and that is why religious power is so evil. It separates us.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 4:03 pm

Aaron Rhodes wrote:
I have a better topic for discussion: why do religious people feel the need to denigrate the use of logic? It's perfectly okay for them to point out logical fallacies, but to just completely throw logic out the window is uncalled for. The question I asked is meant in a rhetorical sense, but feel free to give any answer you please.

Blame the real culprit. Our tribal needs which allow some of us to throw away logic, reason and our moral sense to stay within our little tribes.

That is also why Christians end in adoring, so they say, a genocidal son murdering prick.

Regards
DL

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 4:13 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Regards
DL

You're wrong.

Power and wealth are often found together, but hardly all the time. Many wealthy people, but not all by any means, wield a great deal of power. Many powerful people, but not all, are wealthy to varying degrees.

I think that the main thing that wealth does for powerful people is to allow them to extend that power over more of society.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 5:00 pm

kokopelli wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Regards
DL

You're wrong.

Power and wealth are often found together, but hardly all the time. Many wealthy people, but not all by any means, wield a great deal of power. Many powerful people, but not all, are wealthy to varying degrees.

I think that the main thing that wealth does for powerful people is to allow them to extend that power over more of society.

Name any leader or leading ideology today that is not a millionaire.

Good luck finding another Ghandi.

Regards
DL

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2017, 5:02 pm

Closet Genious wrote:

Also the supernatural stuff is just silly. It's no different than believing in dragons or unicorns.

"Supernatural" referring to dragons, unicorns, vampires, werewolves, and skeletons and mummies that chase you?

...but extended to include to anything other than your "Naturalism" (aka Materialism)? :D

Want to know what's silly? Materialism.

Materialism is insupportable, as has been shown in various discussion at various threads here.

Michael829

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 5:32 pm

Michael829 wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

"Supernatural" referring to dragons, unicorns, vampires, werewolves, and skeletons and mummies that chase you?

...but extended to include to anything other than your "Naturalism" (aka Materialism)? :D

Materialism is insupportable, as has been shown in various discussion at various threads here.

Michael829

I'm referring to angels and flying donkeys.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 6:56 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
Logic can't explain why music feels the way it does.
In martial arts, acting in accordance with logic is really going to hurt.

actually, it is about to figure that out.

well, no, wait. this is about how music feels the way it does.
why it does is dopamine.

there's great studies on sound design in video poker machines and once you read that video games will never be the same.
in martial arts, logic is only going to hurt if you need time to think. that's why you practice to the point where you don't need to think anymore. but what does logic tell you: should you take a punch to the face, or should you block it? my logic tells me to do the best to block it- but I might be too slow, so I better train to do what I already know is the logically best thing to do.

actually, I prefer reducing my chances of getting knocked on the head to the bare minimum, and not engage in martial arts at all. or football. also motorcycle riding. that's what logic tells me

- hey. it worked. I've not been hurt all day, thanks, logic ^-^

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 7:04 pm

Michael829 wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

Michael829

show me something supernatural happen, i.e., something that is not covered by the laws of physics, on a scale that is within the laws of physics as we understand them.

if you can find solace in a god that's a flavour of quark, then please do so, but don't you start a war if some phycisist realizes that quarks aren't real, and a different explanation is needed.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 9:00 pm

Why is it any discussion about religion inevitably seems to degenerate into a squabble about Christianity, with a bit of a smattering slinging off at Islam? That is not the whole of global religious experience.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 9:02 pm

C2V wrote:
Why is it any discussion about religion inevitably seems to degenerate into a squabble about Christianity, with a bit of a smattering slinging off at Islam? That is not the whole of global religious experience.

Because those are the worst ones.