On Trump Tax Cuts - Mark Blyth & John Friedman

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 4:56 pm

Play time: 15:51.

Mark asking John about the gritty details, for those interested in this sort of thing.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:53 am

Thanks. It was interesting.

It's funny, so, "Bring that money abroad back" is just an accounting entry.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 12:51 pm

Yeah, TBH responsible and irresponsible legislative tinkering is as difficult to make sense of here as telling which new dietary fad the American Medical Association is touting to be uber-healthy has anything to it. Econ almost seems to boarder on pseudoscience at times and part of why I like Mark is I can tell he's been able to at least been able to make sense of cause and effect historically even if I really doubt he, or anyone else, can really forecast the future.

One of the most interesting things they kept bringing up is saturation points for incentives and yeah - you really have to have your eyes on this stuff, daily almost, to get any intuitive sense of where out of a swarm of different competing interests that an industry, let alone all industries, would have which incentives still have any mileage and which ones are attempting to feed a second or third course meal on average.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin