Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 6:47 pm

Ugghhh...
(My old thread seems buried so I'll start a new one)

People are trying to pressure me a bit back to Evangelical Christianity, with one aunt trying to get me into Jehovah's Witnesses...

But I'm too leftist to really enjoy that. But I still believe in the supernatural...

I have pagan cousins and Atheist cousins but yeah much of my family is right wing, etc...

My uncle's roommate for example tries to get me to go to church... but the comments he makes about the LBGTQ community and the pagan community, etc... makes my heart hurt... And my aunt is working her JW stuff on me... I feel like people can't let me live...

I don't even really know where I fit in...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 6:56 pm

You fit into what your own notion of God and religion are.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 7:22 pm

You fit in with your own beliefs.

Please don't feel obligated to join any religious community which pressures or offends you.

I would steer very clear of any group that lacks tolerance for all people (e.g., LGBTQ, other religions, atheists, etc.)

Live and let live ~ Love and let love.

Overthinker2000
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2020, 8:04 pm

You have to believe what is true, not what makes you feel good. I'm not going to convince of my own religious beliefs, but research things, and whatever makes the most sense, whatever is the most logical, that is what you have to believe.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 8:17 pm

Angnix wrote:
Ugghhh...

People are trying to pressure me a bit back to Evangelical Christianity, with one aunt trying to get me into Jehovah's Witnesses...

But I'm too leftist to really enjoy that. But I still believe in the supernatural...

I have pagan cousins and Atheist cousins but yeah much of my family is right wing, etc...

My uncle's roommate for example tries to get me to go to church... but the comments he makes about the LBGTQ community and the pagan community, etc... makes my heart hurt... And my aunt is working her JW stuff on me... I feel like people can't let me live...

Christianity partakes in the supernatural.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 8:17 pm

Overthinker2000 wrote:
You have to believe what is true, not what makes you feel good. I'm not going to convince of my own religious beliefs, but research things, and whatever makes the most sense, whatever is the most logical, that is what you have to believe.

I have been researching things... BTW, I mostly commented because I'm not in Battle Creek but still in the same county... Do you get any services from Summit Pointe? They are the ones that diagnosed me recently.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2020, 8:34 pm

Angnix wrote:
Ugghhh...

How well do you speak with your family? I'm planning on having a special discussion with my parents around the Feast of the Annunciation, (March 25th) about personal things in my life. But I'm also hoping the effects of that conversation will lead to be parents' conversion.

From my point of view, I'd like it if my parents would speak openly with me about the Faith and ask questions. I'm just giving my point of view of course, if what I've said helps, please consider it, but you don't have to if you don't feel comfortable.

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

Overthinker2000
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2020, 9:21 pm

Angnix wrote:
Overthinker2000 wrote:

I have been researching things... BTW, I mostly commented because I'm not in Battle Creek but still in the same county... Do you get any services from Summit Pointe? They are the ones that diagnosed me recently.

Small world, eh? Honestly, I don't know much about Summit Pointe, but they can probably provide something.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 3:08 am

The decision to believe in a religion (or not) should be yours and only yours.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 4:14 am

Did I understand correctly that you do believe in God and such in some way or other and wouldn't mind being a part of a religious community, but you don't want to be pressured in to it and don't want to join ones that go against your morals?

If so, then I'd recommend taking your time to find a religious community that fits your world view. Many religious communities are extremely narrow minded and attack anything and anyone that doesn't fit in to their narrow world views, but there are also those that live in their own way and don't mind it when other non-members live in theirs. Plus, these communities apparently have much less strict rules and don't demand their members to fit in to certain mold as badly as the others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 7:16 am

Battle Creek has lots of interesting history—not only for its cereals, but also for its sanitarium.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 9:04 am

Being pressured to join Jehovah's Witnesses? Gee, now imagine that...

You have to go with your conscience. Pray about what God is leading you to do and go with that.

I'm pro-Evangelical and, naturally, would love to see anyone go in that direction. I'm a life-long Southern Baptist, always will be in heart and mind, but I've given serious thought to moving to Assembly of God. I'm ok with Pentecostals on the condition they don't think I'm going to hell if I don't speak in tongues. I'm also not a prosperity gospel believer, but I AM an egoist. A religion that has nothing to offer its believers is no religion I want any part of, and I try to work towards a balance of logic and faith. For any Christian, the only thing that matters is whether one has received Christ through faith, and everything else is about how we should live on Earth while we're still here, alive, and breathing. While there's always going to be pressure to do or say or believe certain things, and while we all have our own biases and preferences, make sure if you become part of an Evangelical church, whether Baptist, some branch of Pentecostalism, or non-denominational (which in reality are either Baptists or Pentecostals who want to avoid labels) that the decision is YOURS, not what someone else expects of you.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 9:57 am

Other than the fact that I would definitley stay away from the Jehovah's witnesses I would say religion you have to decide for your self.Even evangelicals would say any conversion has to be by free will,free will is a crux in both Judaism and Chistianity.

I personaly have never connected with a religion but I also usually feel if there is a hell I am going there,but mostly I don't believe in any after life.I would not listen to other people about your religion,I would study different religions and make up your own mind.

There is something to be said for respecting the wisdom of those with more life experience than you and who are older than you but when it comes to your religion that is one issue where only you can decide whats best for you.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 10:26 am

You fit in with what you believe in. You can believe in one thing (you mentioned the supernatural), without believing in another (like religion). If you don't believe in it, you shouldn't allow them to push you into it. Your life, your choice.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 8:08 pm

Is a good idea to pray and ask God to guide you. Also, if you are not sure if God exists, pray and ask God to show you. (Be patient).

It is amazing what I have seen happen... But you need to experience things for yourself, as I can share my experiences in life, but it is not the same as having your own experiences.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Feb 2020, 2:10 am

This pushing is awful. My parents seem still in denial about my drift towards agnosticism.

I strongly believe if there is good, omniscient God, they won't accept anything but truth. And the truth about me is, I'm a sceptic, I doubt and challenge everything I know all the time, that's my way of being and I can't just switch it off for religious services. I was too tired with reciting "I believe..." knowing it's a lie. It's absurd.

Last time I talked about it with my mother, she got some awful emotional blackmail from her inventory... brrrr :pale: so I just avoid the topic with my parents.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>