If religion stopped being so important in the US?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:45 pm

What do you think would happen?

Hypothotically our country is no longer required to accommodate religion and to treat it like a hobby. Businesses stop working around your church schedule or giving you breaks at work so you can pray and to take time off for religion, you have to earn those vacation hours and request time off like everyone else and it's not guaranteed until the boss approves it. What do you think would happen? Would religion then become a disability because it would now cause them distress and occupational functioning in work settings because people can't put their religion aside and put their work first and religion second? It's like how some aspies can't put their interests aside so that is why it's a symptom and an impairment, it's like a religion for them. But what if their interests got accommodated, then it wouldn't be a symptom anymore and it would be "normal" if lot of people were like that with their interests. Just imagine seeing on the application "do you have any special interests, if so please specify."

Busineses now open early on Sundays like on any other day so people who do church that day would be forced to skip it or get fired for being unreliable workers.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 1:21 pm

People would find something else to be fanatical about sans logic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2017, 1:32 pm

Islam supports rape, genocide, killing of gays, beating your wife etc.

Feminists like op do not understand that there is other bad religions in the world.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 3:00 pm

white_as_snow wrote:

Feminists like op do not understand that there is other bad religions in the world.

I'm a non believer. I think people who use religion to harm others are religious nutters and use it as an excuse to be hateful. I tried to use religion to not do any homework when I was a kid and I am sure that didn't go well because I still did my homework. I had made up my own religion to try and get out of doing homework but it doesn't work that way. You have to pick a religion that already exists, not something you create. Our country does not have laws that require work paces to accommodate made up religions just so you can get out of doing things or get vacations or be allowed to take time off for your personal life because you claimed it as your religion.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 9:14 pm

white_as_snow wrote:

If Americans gave up religion, they'd probably define themselves by race even more, and become white supremacist biggots.

just a hunch.

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 9:16 pm

If religion stopped being so important in this country, we'd be screwed in a big way.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 9:18 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Hypothotically our country is no longer required to accommodate religion and to treat it like a hobby. Businesses stop working around your church schedule or giving you breaks at work so you can pray and to take time off for religion, you have to earn those vacation hours and request time off like everyone else and it's not guaranteed until the boss approves it. What do you think would happen? Would religion then become a disability because it would now cause them distress and occupational functioning in work settings because people can't put their religion aside and put their work first and religion second? It's like how some aspies can't put their interests aside so that is why it's a symptom and an impairment, it's like a religion for them. But what if their interests got accommodated, then it wouldn't be a symptom anymore and it would be "normal" if lot of people were like that with their interests. Just imagine seeing on the application "do you have any special interests, if so please specify."

Busineses now open early on Sundays like on any other day so people who do church that day would be forced to skip it or get fired for being unreliable workers.

But aspergers is not a choice its a neurological condition, religion is not.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 9:19 pm

MidnightMoon wrote:
If religion stopped being so important in this country, we'd be screwed in a big way.

Why?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 9:26 pm

shlaifu wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

If Americans gave up religion, they'd probably define themselves by race even more, and become white supremacist biggots.

just a hunch.

Why is that? Does it have anything to do with some white supremacists using nordic pagan symbols as tattoos and things? Also though its not even so much about giving up religion but allowing for people to practice different religious beliefs in the same society.

spaceone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2017, 10:33 pm

white_as_snow wrote:

What exactly do you mean by this? Also, what does the original post have to do with feminism?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 2:06 am

shlaifu wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

just a hunch.

You do realize American is not a race but a nationality, right? Most white supremacists consider themselves religious, by the way, so religion isn't stopping them at all. If anything, it encourages them as well as other braindead idelogies. I wouldn't be sad if religion was erased from this country. The Bible Belt would finally be a sane place.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 7:29 am

Marknis wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

just a hunch.

You do realize American is not a race but a nationality, right? Most white supremacists consider themselves religious, by the way, so religion isn't stopping them at all. If anything, it encourages them as well as other braindead idelogies. I wouldn't be sad if religion was erased from this country. The Bible Belt would finally be a sane place.

yeah, I was just being a bit snooty and acerbic towards white_as_snow.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 3:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

But aspergers is not a choice its a neurological condition, religion is not.

I have an aspie friend who has toned down their special interests and don't let it take over their lives, they still find time to do it. So it is possible for an aspie to control it and not take it over. People with religion seem to let it take over their lives. I am sure there are religious people out there that tone it down and they make time for it. They don't have it interfere with their work or with their personal lives and friends and family.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 6:27 pm

white_as_snow wrote:

I see a lot of strawmen you've created to bash, probably because you're obsessed with feminists and Islam and couldn't actually dwell on those topics while responding to OP. Just a hunch. :roll:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:22 pm

There are plenty of right-wing atheists who find other excuses for their sexism and homophobia.

In other words, a godless America would be better, but plenty of problems would still persist. Changes are needed in the America political/economic system, not just American culture.

The end of creationist tomfoolery would be nice though.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:38 pm

League_Girl wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:

I'm a non believer. I think people who use religion to harm others are religious nutters and use it as an excuse to be hateful. I tried to use religion to not do any homework when I was a kid and I am sure that didn't go well because I still did my homework. I had made up my own religion to try and get out of doing homework but it doesn't work that way. You have to pick a religion that already exists, not something you create. Our country does not have laws that require work paces to accommodate made up religions just so you can get out of doing things or get vacations or be allowed to take time off for your personal life because you claimed it as your religion.

Reminds me of when Homer Simpson started his own religion.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!