Being repeatedly told that I don't back up my arguments.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2017, 7:17 pm

Why do some people repeatedly call arguments invalid with no explanation why, even when I make sure I don't make any logical fallacies, and I've explained everything in as much detail as possible?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm

mental immaturity I think

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 8:19 pm

My conclusion from personally having been subjected to that or similar from certain individuals is, they simply don't like what I have to say and want me to be silent. Their claim itself is usually what's invalid, because like you I'm careful. Eventually they give up and even disappear, because I stand my ground.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2017, 11:41 pm

I like how there actually is starting to be a backlash from the internet's obsession with calling out logical fallacies.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-essential ... g-twitter/
http://bigthink.com/experts-corner/not- ... al-fallacy

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 11:46 pm

Um, you mean on this forum? I don't see how else we would know what happens in your discussions.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2017, 12:02 am

It's mostly on video game forums. I do not want to spread drama across boards though. I always have this problem that if I don't post stuff from other websites, I'm not backing up my claim, if I do, I'm an as*hole for spreading drama across boards.

spaceone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2017, 1:05 am

Some people simply engage in argument to try to infuriate people.

Either that or they are dumb.

Or both.

Can't see any other reason but there could be more.

Also I like your links. Thanks for the share :>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 7:20 am

You would have to give us examples for us to really answer your question.

Could be that you are indeed failing to back up your argument.

Or it could that you're like the computer that responded to the question "how do we reduce human hunger?" with the answer "kill off humans. fewer humans. Less human hunger". The other person cant respond with a rational response to your statement because your statement is(in a sense) already too rational. So theyre speechless. So all they can do is spout "your argument is invalid".

It could be an autism related issue. That you don't know when to season your logic with a little bit of empathy based diplomacy to get others to listen. Like you might fail to preface your argument with "I know this will seem harsh, and I don't like it either, but." before making your main point: "the only way to reduce human hunger is to...kill off half of the human race! :D "

Or (and this is the answer that you want to hear) it could be that they are all...a bunch of dumb, immature, narrow minded jerks who are trying to silence you. So stick to your guns, and be courageous hero that you are, and blah blah blah....

And many times the above probably really IS whats happening. But be aware that the reverse probably also happens, or can happen. You might become the cruel oppressor yourself in the next online thread. Or even in the next paragraph in the same thread. So you just have to have a sense of humor about it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 8:36 pm

Aaendi wrote:
Why do some people repeatedly call arguments invalid with no explanation why, even when I make sure I don't make any logical fallacies, and I've explained everything in as much detail as possible?

Could be because your not backing up your arguments with the "facts" they want to hear.
I see this a lot...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 11:28 pm

Aaendi wrote:

I've noticed an increase in this since the beginning of the "Trump era". Such individuals often don't actually want to debate and come to a logical conclusion. They want to win and by winning, I mean control the conversation or shut you down.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 11:12 am

That has been going on since the beginning of time.

Trump just legitimized it a bit more.