Page 16 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 9:39 pm

MissChess wrote:
Your stand seems to be that from a moral/ethical standpoint they don't, or shouldn't, differ - that human life, as defined by a distinct genetic code, is a person and should have equal protection under the law. Is that a correct statement?

No, I argue they are human beings, at least in the course of a natural pregnancy, not persons and that human beings should not be killed or injured without good cause. I don't use the term person in this discussion, it's brought in by the other side for one reason only - so they can "unperson" inconvenient humans. The terminology is further confused, because, as I mentioned in the other threads, in US law and other places humans are not legally persons until they reach the age of majority.

kraftiekortie wrote:
How would anybody die based upon pressing a button?

Perhaps, one could overcome "evil Mikah" (without killing him), and the dismantle that evil thing. Or just take the electrodes or whatever off both the person and the chimp.

In answer to the above question: Yes, I was talking about the relative worth of a chimp and a human's life.

Hehe, I like your replies. But the point of a thought experiment is to attempt to analyse a greater truth, not consider the pragmatic reality of such an experiment, or change the rules. For this thought experiment there are no other options other than the ones presented.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 10:03 pm

One thing about the "abortion debate" I detest, is it always devolves into "thought experiments."

I look forward to the day they invent artificial wombs and we can all stop bickering.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2018, 10:15 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
One thing about the "abortion debate" I detest, is it always devolves into "thought experiments."

I look forward to the day they invent artificial wombs and we can all stop bickering.

I don't mind a thought experiment when it's used to explore ideas rationally - scientists do some very interesting work that way. Of course, on internet fora, they're more often used to trap people. ;)

Seconded on the artificial uterus, although I can't escape a little shiver at the echoes from Huxley.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 10:19 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
The law protects people equally, therefore any man or woman could be forced to carry a pregnancy to term.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4839905/w ... ve-babies/

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 10:24 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Except you know there's going to be a whole new round of bickering over the expense and availability of such devices.

"Artificial wombs are sexist/racist/elitist/classist/etc"

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 10:34 pm

adifferentname wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Except you know there's going to be a whole new round of bickering over the expense and availability of such devices.

"Artificial wombs are sexist/racist/elitist/classist/etc"

I know. The bickering never ends.

But, personally, it would solve the abortion debate for me.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 10:36 pm

MissChess wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

I don't mind a thought experiment when it's used to explore ideas rationally - scientists do some very interesting work that way. Of course, on internet fora, they're more often used to trap people. ;)

Seconded on the artificial uterus, although I can't escape a little shiver at the echoes from Huxley.

It's just the abortion debate is always such a mess.

I don't have a firm, solid position on this topic, so, I find it exhausting.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2018, 10:48 pm

Mikah wrote:
MissChess wrote:
Your stand seems to be that from a moral/ethical standpoint they don't, or shouldn't, differ - that human life, as defined by a distinct genetic code, is a person and should have equal protection under the law. Is that a correct statement?

No, I argue they are human beings, at least in the course of a natural pregnancy, not persons and that human beings should not be killed or injured without good cause. I don't use the term person in this discussion, it's brought in by the other side for one reason only - so they can "unperson" inconvenient humans. The terminology is further confused, because, as I mentioned in the other threads, in US law and other places humans are not legally persons until they reach the age of majority.

I think this may actually be a case of crossed semantics. Saying, "...human life, as defined by a distinct genetic code, is a human being and should ...." sounded clumsy to me. I'm not attempting to set up a debate regarding what constitutes a person in order to justify my pro-choice position.

To clarify, then, would you state that any living being constructed on the blueprint of human DNA is a human being? (I'm dismissing the concept of genetic hybrids, while the science may or may not be there at this time I'm referring to purely human DNA and not some hypothetical humanzee, or what have you.)

A side note: in general, under US law, a minor is defined as a person under the age of 18, so their status as "persons" isn't in question. While certain legal rights are denied based on the presumption of immaturity (drinking, driving, voting), their constitutional rights aren't in question (due process, counsel, protection from cruel & unusual punishment, freedom from unreasonable search & seizure, etc.).

The problems tend to multiply when we muddle different definitions of "personhood" by disregarding categories. Legal personhood, constitutional personhood, and moral or ethical personhood are not identical concepts, though they can certainly overlap in broad areas. When discussing US law, minors may or may not be legal persons, defined as "an entity that is recognized and protected under common law or statutory law," and with the further implication that the entity can hold/sell property or sue/be sued, but they are constitutional persons, defined as "a human being or legal entity with some or all constitutional rights." A child is a legal person. Thus far, an unborn child is not. A child is a constitutional person. Thus far, an unborn child is not.

For the purpose of the abortion question, the disagreement seems to center around the moral/ethical personhood concept, and people on both sides of that disagreement continually try to legislate their own interpretation into both legal and constitutional personhood so they can force others to conform to their beliefs (in the case of the pro-life faction), or refuse to be coerced by others' beliefs (in the case of the pro-choice faction). I don't personally know any pro-abortion people, though I understand China's still dealing with some pretty ugly situations resulting from that brand of governmental meddling.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 1:03 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
But, personally, it would solve the abortion debate for me.

Agreed.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 3:17 am

The Musings Of The Lost wrote:
Its killing something before it has a chance to live. Thats not something I agree with.

So is menstruation and masturbation, if you're going to classify it that way.
If decent quality of life is not possible, then lack of that life is the most humane possible solution.

But I also think it's no one else's f*****g business what difficult decisions others have to make because of their sh***y circumstances. I'm personally more appalled at the eugenic mindset of many groups, including Autism Speaks, than I am about a blueprint for a human being (because it's not alive, life requires brain activity, and abortions occur before brain activity) being removed from the just as valuable woman.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 4:10 am

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
Its killing something before it has a chance to live. Thats not something I agree with.

If decent quality of life is not possible, then lack of that life is the most humane possible solution.

But I also think it's no one else's f*****g business what difficult decisions others have to make because of their sh***y circumstances. I'm personally more appalled at the eugenic mindset of many groups, including Autism Speaks, than I am about a blueprint for a human being (because it's not alive, life requires brain activity, and abortions occur before brain activity) being removed from the just as valuable woman.

Menstruation: it's insane to hold that against any woman. It's only natural.
Masturbation: Would you be offended if I watch? :lol:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 4:59 am

I really believe that if it were men who got pregnant, there would be no abortion debate. It would be seen as a personal choice of the man that only he had domain over and there would probably be home abortion kits.

In some societies, such as Amazonian societies and ancient Rome, men had/have the right to determine if newborn lived or not, and exercised that right absolutely.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 9:28 am

Chronos wrote:
I really believe that if it were men who got pregnant, there would be no abortion debate. It would be seen as a personal choice of the man that only he had domain over and there would probably be home abortion kits.

If males were the ones who got pregnant, human societies would be unrecognisable. You can't change that single aspect of biology in a hypothetical vacuum.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2018, 10:16 am

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:

Thats a fallacy ignoring a fundamental difference between sperm, eggs, zygotes, and fetuses.
http://abort73.com/abortion/are_sperm_a ... lls_alive/
And if you are in situations where you cannot support a child, give the child to adoption or don't get pregnant in the first place. Everyone using birth control, condoms and such is aware they are fallible. They are not perfect. Ergo, if you simply cannot afford to be pregnant, don't f*****g have sex

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 11:26 am

The decision to have sex is not the decision to have a baby.

I'm never going to accept that a fetus has more rights than I do. If I'm pregnant, and I go for a run, trip and fall on my face, thus, precipitating a miscarriage, should I be charged with homicide? After all, if you cause the death of another person, even unintentionally, you can be held legally liable.

I dread to think of what the world would look like for women if we started considering fetuses as fully legal human beings.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 1:08 pm

MissChess wrote:
To clarify, then, would you state that any living being constructed on the blueprint of human DNA is a human being? (I'm dismissing the concept of genetic hybrids, while the science may or may not be there at this time I'm referring to purely human DNA and not some hypothetical humanzee, or what have you.)

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. Are we talking science fiction?

XFilesGeek wrote:
I'm never going to accept that a fetus has more rights than I do. If I'm pregnant, and I go for a run, trip and fall on my face, thus, precipitating a miscarriage, should I be charged with homicide? After all, if you cause the death of another person, even unintentionally, you can be held legally liable.

I'm not sure how a fetus would have more rights than you, even if I were emperor of the world. You would have the same right not to be killed arbitrarily. I also don't think you could be charged with homicide for that, unless negligence or intent could be proved.