Page 1 of 22 [ 350 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

What is the primary reason for disapproval of homosexuality?
Religion 36%  36%  [ 40 ]
Fear that homosexuals will be attracted to YOU 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Fear of disintegrating gender roles 10%  10%  [ 11 ]
Male fear of gay anal rape 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Homosexual intercourse cannot produce children 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
It just icks people out 18%  18%  [ 20 ]
It defies social norms 10%  10%  [ 11 ]
Other (please explain below) 15%  15%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 110

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:02 pm

I honestly can't ascertain the root cause. I don't think it's religion.

I approve of homosexuality, btw. :P

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:12 pm

I quite like the anal rape theory. I think probably in centuries gone by, religion - or rather, the religion practised by the louder, battier fundamentalist types - may have been a good excuse. But I think in the modern-day it's lots and lots of different things all melded together in one large mass.

The thing is, from what I can tell, a lot of gay people aren't mad into anal in any case.

(Sorry, it feels like I'm stalking you. Which I probably am. Sorry.)

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:21 pm

It's a complex issue, but I think the fear of gender roles crumbling is the main thing.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:25 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
It's a complex issue, but I think the fear of gender roles crumbling is the main thing.

That doesn't really explain the fact that anti-homosexuality has been around forever, though, does it?

Me, I'm not bothered. I've never met a gay person I disliked. Even if I didn't like homosexuality - I'm not bothered - Western civilisation has bigger fish to fry so we need to get on with it, Inshallah. ;)

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:27 pm

Tequila wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

That doesn't really explain the fact that anti-homosexuality has been around forever, though, does it?

Me, I'm not bothered. I've never met a gay person I disliked. Even if I didn't like homosexuality - I'm not bothered - Western civilisation has bigger fish to fry so we need to get on with it, Inshallah. ;)

I think the fear of gender roles disappearing has always been around in certain cultures. But from a deep-seated biological standpoint, it might be because they don't reproduce.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:32 pm

Tequila wrote:
I quite like the anal rape theory. I think probably in centuries gone by, religion - or rather, the religion practised by the louder, battier fundamentalist types - may have been a good excuse. But I think in the modern-day it's lots and lots of different things all melded together in one large mass.

The thing is, from what I can tell, a lot of gay people aren't mad into anal in any case.

(Sorry, it feels like I'm stalking you. Which I probably am. Sorry.)

I think it has melded into one large mass, as well. What I want to ascertain is the root of the matter. I think anti-homosexual passages in religious texts only serve to reinforce something that already exists in the human psyche - something which I do not understand.

I think it has a lot to do with how society reinforces gender roles. It may have changed in the last 50 or so years, but for hundreds of years, the dominant narrative of Western culture is that men have sex with women. If a man has sex with a man, he's doing something that women are supposed to do - which challenges his 'place' in society as a man. Ditto for female homosexuality.

In Ancient Greece, as in other societies where male homosexuality is not disapproved of, it was actually seen as more 'manly' for a man to fancy men. They didn't have this concept that male homosexuality = anal sex, either (but they did greatly diapprove of any man who practice passive anal sex - that was seen as feminising). I honestly don't know why people fixate on the anal sex aspect of male homosexuality, but I suspect it's because it's a fear common to heterosexual men, which I won't understand because I am not one.

I don't think you're stalking me. :D

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:33 pm

donnie_darko wrote:

I concur.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:37 pm

It's un-natural.

But... whatever turns you on. Jumping out of airplanes is also un-natural.

Heroin is natural.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:38 pm

I think it has to do with insecurity about one's own sexuality.

Having said that, I live in the American south (Ozark Mountains), I work for a gay dude, and his gayness seems to be a non-issue with everyone around here.

Even the Ron Paul supporters here aren't homophobic... this is Beverly Hillbilly country... I know people who eat possums for christ sakes! BUT I'd be hard pressed to find an actual homophobe. :?

Where is this still an issue?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:40 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I think it has melded into one large mass, as well. What I want to ascertain is the root of the matter. I think anti-homosexual passages in religious texts only serve to reinforce something that already exists in the human psyche - something which I do not understand.

You're not going to get that, mainly because a lot of people will all have different response to what you're saying. It could just be a fear of 'the other' or difference but I think the idea of predatory homosexuality could have something to do with it.

Quote:
I think it has a lot to do with how society reinforces gender roles. It may have changed in the last 50 or so years, but for hundreds of years, the dominant narrative of Western culture is that men have sex with women. If a man has sex with a man, he's doing something that women are supposed to do - which challenges his 'place' in society as a man.

It's odd because I don't find that too threatening.

Quote:
Ditto for female homosexuality.

That I do... and perhaps men should. I'm surprised there hasn't been a much stronger reaction against lesbianism in the Western world. It's one of the mysteries of British history that lesbianism wasn't criminalised and demonised nearly as much as homosexuality as I think that, in the modern world, logically might pose a greater danger to, er, masculine men.

Quote:
I don't think you're stalking me. :D

Perhaps I'm not trying hard enough! (Joke, joke.) ;)

I hope you'll be firing on all cylinders soon. I might even whack a message over to you in the next couple of days but I didn't want to come across as obsessive. :)

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:40 pm

GoonSquad wrote:

Where is this still an issue?

Uganda? Jamaica? Iran?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:42 pm

unduki wrote:
It's un-natural.

Twenty-year-old men shoving six pints of "lah-gur" down their fat necks before they go home with their 14-year-old girlfriends for their fifteen seconds of passion is unnatural but, hey, people do that every weekend in sh***y council estates.

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2011, 6:45 pm

I've been thinking about posting on this issue-

I suppose I can see how it would make some people uncomfortable.. especially with male egos.

Personally, I don't think too much either way about it. I'm comfortable with my sexuality.. which may be very close to A-sexuality, ha.

Here's what I notice, though.. People on the spectrum, aspies mostly, seem to get their sexual orientation questioned alot. Aspie girls often times are thought of as "tomboys', and I've noticed alot of aspie guys not conforming to the standards of what a "real man" should be, and just doing what's comfortable to them. I know I have had my sexuality questioned many times in my life- I have gay friends, and don't get uncomfortable when people do "gay" stuff... which is odd, I guess, because I get uncomfortable when people do soo much other "normal" stuff.

I'm not saying that I've never displayed any "homophobia", the thought of anal sex is so gross to me, even with opposite sex, but in general, I don't see why anyone would go to extreme measures to hate homosexuals.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

I was talking to a few of my brothers about this awhile back. The eldest pointed out that rampant homosexuality is a sign that a civilization is about to end.

My brother-in-law says, "Duh."

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

Tequila wrote:

That I do... and perhaps men should. I'm surprised there hasn't been a much stronger reaction against lesbianism in the Western world.

Fear the lesbos!

Practically all the anti-lesbian sentiment I've encountered has been from women. Besides, practically there are fewer female homosexuals out there than male homosexuals. There are a lot of bisexual women, but they are not a threat to the interests of straight men.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:49 pm

Tequila wrote:
unduki wrote:
It's un-natural.

Twenty-year-old men shoving six pints of "lah-gur" down their fat necks before they go home with their 14-year-old girlfriends for their fifteen seconds of passion is unnatural but, hey, people do that every weekend in sh***y council estates.

Yep, yep. "If it feels good, do it and damn the consequences," seems to be the order of the day.