Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 5:04 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Basically hoodlums.

More urban. Gangs of friends are chavs. Families can be "rednecks". But not chavs. Chavs are flocks of young folks.
Though female chavs do tend to get into a "family way" young and out of wedlock.

My guess is that if I wanted to be branded a chav the fastest way to achieve that would be to indulge in things like "dogging" (the rare current Brit slang that I know. Look it up).

I'm tickled by the idea that dogging is "current slang". Sorry NP! Even chav is pretty dated.

I think you'd be better off popping down to ASDA in a tracksuit and shouting at your kids, or using the war memorial as a toilet, or getting drunk in Nando's. Dogging isn't stereotypically tied to any class.

Though I've always assumed they were middle class, a bit like swingers. But that's probably just my class prejudice. I assume all middle class people grow up repressed.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 5:05 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Well thanks for enlightening an ignorant Yank. Now can someone explain to me the rules of Cricket?
Do not attempt to header the ball. that's the only rule that matters, we just make the rest up as we go along to confuse non Commonwealthers.
Quote:
Also I'm wondering why Canadians don't play the game when all the other parts of the world with heavy Brit influence (Australia, India, Pakistan, etc) do.
Too sensible.

I'm smiling at your reply lol. So how do you play, what are the rules and objectives and etc?

Canadians play pretty much the same sports we do, it must be our influence.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 5:24 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Well thanks for enlightening an ignorant Yank. Now can someone explain to me the rules of Cricket? Also I'm wondering why Canadians don't play the game when all the other parts of the world with heavy Brit influence (Australia, India, Pakistan, etc) do.

Imagine baseball without the pitcher. Imagine if the ball was on top of stick just sitting there stationary in the "strike zone" so you could just whack it as hard as you can, but don't need to worry about a pitcher striking you out. Hit it as far as you can, and then run the bases pretty much like in baseball. That's my (translated for myself into American terms) understanding of it when I read about it in a book, or in Wiki, or someplace, once.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 5:37 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Well thanks for enlightening an ignorant Yank. Now can someone explain to me the rules of Cricket?
Do not attempt to header the ball. that's the only rule that matters, we just make the rest up as we go along to confuse non Commonwealthers.
Quote:
Also I'm wondering why Canadians don't play the game when all the other parts of the world with heavy Brit influence (Australia, India, Pakistan, etc) do.
Too sensible.

I'm smiling at your reply lol. So how do you play, what are the rules and objectives and etc?

The official objective of cricket is to score runs which they occasionally do by running, but more often do by not running. Rule one I've given you, rule two is don't get killed. But the true purpose of cricket is to stop in the middle for tea, sandwiches, scones, and cakes.

What sports have you taken to Canada?

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 6:08 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Quote:
Too sensible.

No, no no! You play the same sports as us!! !! ! :D Think hockey, basketball......

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:40 am

AnneOleson wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Quote:
Too sensible.

No, no no! You play the same sports as us!! ! ! ! :D Think hockey, basketball......

:D You ruined my trap.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 4:27 am

Quote:
I know I could just google it but I dont feel like it right now

That is not really the right attitude. Us Brits are a minority on WP, and personally I get tired of keep having to Americanize everything for the Americans to understand. If you don't understand what a British word means, it'd be better, and quicker, to just Google it, rather than take the time to start a whole thread about it just because you 'don't feel like Googling something' or 'can't be bothered'.

I understand Americans more than they understand us because I watch a lot of American films and cartoons.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 7:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

That is not really the right attitude. Us Brits are a minority on WP, and personally I get tired of keep having to Americanize everything for the Americans to understand. If you don't understand what a British word means, it'd be better, and quicker, to just Google it, rather than take the time to start a whole thread about it just because you 'don't feel like Googling something' or 'can't be bothered'.

I understand Americans more than they understand us because I watch a lot of American films and cartoons.

I think what the OP meant is that she wanted a more human response than she would get from Google, particularly with one question leading to another.

The spelling thing annoys the s**t out of me, you know, like when Brits spell Americanise with a z because the spell check told them to :D

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 7:59 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

I say things our way and then accept being occasionally asked to clarify, which has always been done politely. I find this much less frustrating. I'm not sure why you are Americanising your comments, if you say police instead of cops they're going to work it out.

To be clear, I do understand the frustration, I just think your annoyance was misdirected.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 8:40 am

The term generally refers to young working class and middle class individuals. It tends to imply a lack of sophistication/ tackiness, and is often used as an insult. Certain items of clothing are associated with chaviness, such as; a tracksuit, and fake designer clothes (cheap trainers that look designer, overly big handbags, etc). There's also implications of rude behaviour, aggressiveness, and a heavy use of slang.

If you want an example of a stereotypical Chav, look at this cover for the Kingsman film, and at the character in the middle:

Tough expression, casual clothing, dogs that are typically considered rough/ not conventionally attractive looking such as pit bulls, bulldogs and pugs are commonly associated with this idea of chaviness as well.

Also, Catherine Tate (playing the character of Lauren Cooper):

Just in case the video fails to load, here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFWkJuPhApc

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 8:52 am

There is a "pitcher" in cricket. He/she is known as the "bowler."

I'm not sure if I'm absolutely correct in this----but if you get a "leg before wicket" or whatever, that's an automatic "out." If you miss the ball totally, that's an out. So, in essence, you only get one "strike."

If you hit the equivalent of an American "home run," you get 6 runs.

There are no "foul balls" in cricket. You can hit the ball anywhere in the oval, and it counts.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm absolutely correct in this----but if you get a "leg before wicket" or whatever, that's an automatic "out." If you miss the ball totally, that's an out. So, in essence, you only get one "strike."

There are no "foul balls" in cricket. You can hit the ball anywhere in the oval, and it counts.

Try not to hit the opposite wicket, or the umpire.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:20 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Try not to hit the opposite wicket, or the umpire.

Try not hit Temeraire's greenhouse or she goes mental. :twisted:
Do not enter her garden without permission to find your ball - she goes mental :evil:
Do not leave your cakes and sandwiches hanging over the bins for her dog to eat - she goes mental. :skull:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:33 am

I certainly wouldn't want to hit Temeraire's greenhouse!

Those plants would go into an absolute panic!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:41 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
The term generally refers to young working class and middle class individuals. It tends to imply a lack of sophistication/ tackiness, and is often used as an insult. Certain items of clothing are associated with chaviness, such as; a tracksuit, and fake designer clothes (cheap trainers that look designer, overly big handbags, etc). There's also implications of rude behaviour, aggressiveness, and a heavy use of slang.

If you want an example of a stereotypical Chav, look at this cover for the Kingsman film, and at the character in the middle:

Tough expression, casual clothing, dogs that are typically considered rough/ not conventionally attractive looking such as pit bulls, bulldogs and pugs are commonly associated with this idea of chaviness as well.

Also, Catherine Tate (playing the character of Lauren Cooper):

Just in case the video fails to load, here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFWkJuPhApc

Never heard of that movie.

The girl on the viewer's right is an interesting looking character. A handicapped person (she appears to have artificial feet), but who is also a hottie who kicks ass!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:44 am

The Kingsman also did "Louie Louie" :wink: