Does teenage pregnancy is not overrated issue...?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 3:27 am

Does teenage pregnancy is not overrated issue (Generically Speaking :-) )?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 615AAsqb9H

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:30 pm

I'm confused by the question. Grammatically speaking, it doesn't make any sense. What exactly are you asking?

Perhaps you meant "Are we overly concerned with the rates of teenage pregnancy?", or even "Should more be done to tackle the rates of teenage pregnancy to decrease the amount?".

There are quite a few possibilities as to what this question might be trying to ask.

By overrated, do you mean that people exaggerate the rates of teenage pregnancy? Or perhaps that it is a topic which you think is covered too much, and that it isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be, in your opinion?

Do you mean generically, or genetically?

I noticed you mentioned someone with ADHD in that link, so I have to wonder if you meant it to be about something regarding mental health and genetics.

:?

*Shrug* Could you please elaborate on what you are asking? I'm quite confused.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:03 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I'm confused by the question. Grammatically speaking, it doesn't make any sense. What exactly are you asking?

Perhaps you meant "Are we overly concerned with the rates of teenage pregnancy?", or even "Should more be done to tackle the rates of teenage pregnancy to decrease the amount?".

There are quite a few possibilities as to what this question might be trying to ask.

By overrated, do you mean that people exaggerate the rates of teenage pregnancy? Or perhaps that it is a topic which you think is covered too much, and that it isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be, in your opinion?

I noticed you mentioned someone with ADHD in that link, so I have to wonder if you meant it to be about something regarding mental health and genetics.

I have only slight Autism on form of Asperger Syndrome, but i have on friend who had ADHD, we debated about Genetics and so on, that having kids in younger age have some benefits in light of Evolution, that kids born to younger parents have less chance to get any form of genetic disease, that in Bible time most people have their kids in their mid-teens years :D

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:46 pm

Your English is a heck of a lot better than my Polish will ever be, pawelk :-)

I think part of the problem is that teens, 100+ years ago and more, were socially treated as adults. Lives were shorter. the Bar and Bat Mitzvah is performed at 13, menarche in girls was considered full womanhood, marriage happened and households were set up much younger. Now, people marry much later, quite often (not always, depends where you are) and teens are considered children still (and neurology gives some good reasons for it).

Part of the problem also is the whole societal issue of "controlling" sex. Who has it, when, with whom, etc. Societies that are into "control" in general will definitely be into "control" in that area. The "control" can take vastly different forms - but it's definitely part of the issue.

I do wince when I see older first time parents exhausted by the energy of their little ones. OTOH, I weep for younger parents who may never escape working poverty because the needs of their families prevent them from obtaining more education (especially in the United States of Gouging, where everything costs way too much, because freedom has been conflated with greed).

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:06 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

I have only slight Autism on form of Asperger Syndrome, but i have on friend who had ADHD, we debated about Genetics and so on, that having kids in younger age have some benefits in light of Evolution, that kids born to younger parents have less chance to get any form of genetic disease, that in Bible time most people have their kids in their mid-teens years :D

I understand what you are asking now. Thank you for explaining. I hope my post didn't come across as insulting, as this was not my intention.

So, the question is "Are there any evolutionary benefits to teenage pregnancy?", rather than "Does teenage pregnancy is not overrated issue?".

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:25 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:

So, the question is "Are there any evolutionary benefits to teenage pregnancy?", rather than "Does teenage pregnancy is not overrated issue?".

The first one yes :mrgreen: