Page 8 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,571
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

02 Mar 2018, 2:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Why humanity allows itself to be ruled by psychopaths, I will never understand.

And yet intelligent people still voted for Donald Trump to lead the free world


If you say they're intelligent.

50% of college educated American women don't seem to mind if Trump grabs their pu$$y


Much to my shame as an educated person.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

02 Mar 2018, 5:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
Again what happened to Roman history? one miserable thread on history and people are posting pictures of gorillas


I can write more about Roman society.

Classical Latin was for government business, Greek was the language of the aristocracy and the educated, and vulgar Latin was the language of the street.

Ancient Rome was a slave economy. Greek slaves were prized as doctors, scientists, and educators, but overall, treatment of slaves varied from that of family members to disposable non-people.

Women gained, and then lost rights over the course of Ancient Roman civilization.

Romans bathed regularly but were infested with parasites because the water in the public baths was not changed sufficiently frequently and human waste was used as fertilizer before it was given a chance to composed (thus the life cycle of the parasites was not interrupted).

Morbid obesity to the extent that a person could not bathe themselves was not unknown in Ancient Rome.

At one point, marriage rates within Ancient Rome declined to the extent that laws were passed to penalize the unmarried.

This is an Ancient Roman apartment building.

Image

This is a "modern" apartment building in Los Angeles.
Image

Ketchup evolved from garum...a Roman fish sauce which was just as common as ketchup and came in a variety of qualities.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,685

02 Mar 2018, 4:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Why humanity allows itself to be ruled by psychopaths, I will never understand.

And yet intelligent people still voted for Donald Trump to lead the free world


If you say they're intelligent.

50% of college educated American women don't seem to mind if Trump grabs their pu$$y


Much to my shame as an educated person.


Ok I accept education doesn't shift a person's social norms. The Russians managed to hoodwink the Brits into leaving the EU and the Americans to vote for a misogynist billionaire reality TV star. They strategically tapped into people's emotions triggered by lies about Hillary Clinton that voters (appear) to want to believe



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,685

02 Mar 2018, 4:55 pm

Chronos wrote:
Classical Latin was for government business, Greek was the language of the aristocracy and the educated, and vulgar Latin was the language of the street.

Latin was also the language of the catholic clergy and science. Carl Linnaeus chose to use Latin for classifying biological nomenclature of all living organisms. Latin also used to be compulsory for scholars in Oxford and Cambridge

Chronos wrote:
Ancient Rome was a slave economy. Greek slaves were prized as doctors, scientists, and educators, but overall, treatment of slaves varied from that of family members to disposable non-people.

I think slavery was culturally widespread and accepted among all Indo-European people. This stems from warrior culture where the elite were the ones holding the weapons and the slaves produced food.


Chronos wrote:
This is an Ancient Roman apartment building.
This is a "modern" apartment building in Los Angeles.

Chronos wrote:
Ketchup evolved from garum...a Roman fish sauce which was just as common as ketchup and came in a variety of qualities.


This is just the tip of the iceberg. Virtually all our intellectual thought was inherited from Plato and Socrates who passed the flame to the Romans and then to the renaissance Europeans



Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

02 Mar 2018, 5:24 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Classical Latin was for government business, Greek was the language of the aristocracy and the educated, and vulgar Latin was the language of the street.

Latin was also the language of the catholic clergy and science. Carl Linnaeus chose to use Latin for classifying biological nomenclature of all living organisms. Latin also used to be compulsory for scholars in Oxford and Cambridge

Chronos wrote:
Ancient Rome was a slave economy. Greek slaves were prized as doctors, scientists, and educators, but overall, treatment of slaves varied from that of family members to disposable non-people.

I think slavery was culturally widespread and accepted among all Indo-European people. This stems from warrior culture where the elite were the ones holding the weapons and the slaves produced food.


Chronos wrote:
This is an Ancient Roman apartment building.
This is a "modern" apartment building in Los Angeles.

Chronos wrote:
Ketchup evolved from garum...a Roman fish sauce which was just as common as ketchup and came in a variety of qualities.


This is just the tip of the iceberg. Virtually all our intellectual thought was inherited from Plato and Socrates who passed the flame to the Romans and then to the renaissance Europeans


Much of what we know of ancient Greece and Rome was given to us by tge Caliphates of the golden era of Islam. It was they who took interest in and preserved the knowledge if these societies. Most people don't realize it but the modern world that ISIS and the Taliban would like to destroy would not exist if it were not for Islam.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,840
Location: Queens, NYC

02 Mar 2018, 6:49 pm

In Ancient Roman apartment buildings, only people who lived on the first floor used to get running water.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,685

02 Mar 2018, 8:01 pm

Chronos wrote:
Much of what we know of ancient Greece and Rome was given to us by tge Caliphates of the golden era of Islam. It was they who took interest in and preserved the knowledge if these societies.


In the contemporary time period - societies in Europe were going through a "dark age" because illiterate warrior tribes were fighting for control of what was left of the Roman empire. During this time middle eastern empires formed by the Arabs and Turks consolidated their power and (yes) absorbed much of the intellect left over after Rome.

These empires created infrastructure for hospitals and universities that became models for Renaissance Europe. I do think this has little to do with islam however and more to do with enlightened leadership. The Quran is often attributed to be scientifically accurate because it's the direct word of "allah". The problem is that when translated into English it becomes apparent that it contains too much superstitious nonsense that makes it impossible it was created by god.



Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

03 Mar 2018, 12:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Much of what we know of ancient Greece and Rome was given to us by tge Caliphates of the golden era of Islam. It was they who took interest in and preserved the knowledge if these societies.


In the contemporary time period - societies in Europe were going through a "dark age" because illiterate warrior tribes were fighting for control of what was left of the Roman empire. During this time middle eastern empires formed by the Arabs and Turks consolidated their power and (yes) absorbed much of the intellect left over after Rome.

These empires created infrastructure for hospitals and universities that became models for Renaissance Europe. I do think this has little to do with islam however and more to do with enlightened leadership. The Quran is often attributed to be scientifically accurate because it's the direct word of "allah". The problem is that when translated into English it becomes apparent that it contains too much superstitious nonsense that makes it impossible it was created by god.


I'm not attributing it to the content of the religion itself but the establishment that arose from it.