Page 11 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Why do you own a gun?
For self-protection 18%  18%  [ 11 ]
For hunting 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
As a hobby or collection 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Symbolic or object of desire 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't own a gun 63%  63%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 60

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 12:47 am

cberg wrote:
I'm not exactly starving for logical arguments when the gun people are canonizing child abuse. :roll:

I just needed a break. Hippies gotta munch.

0.o

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 1:22 am

sly279 wrote:
cberg wrote:
I'm not exactly starving for logical arguments when the gun people are canonizing child abuse. :roll:

I just needed a break. Hippies gotta munch.

0.o

It was in reference to my obvious tongue-in-cheek comment about using a leather strap on unruly kids.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 2:39 am

I wish that were statistically obvious man. That's coming from the silly Norwegian who just killed a 1/4 bottle of bourbon so my friend wouldn't finish the whole thing; he's a bit weary of getting pistol-whipped by family.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 2:48 am

Raptor wrote:
^Most of my vehicles have been 5-speed manual. I have no issues with manual but over time they can become a pain in city traffic with all the stop and go.

It's all worth it if you squeeze in some rally shenanigans.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 4:57 am

I'm still waiting for someone to be honest and click "symbolic or object of desire" :twisted:
(Some of you guys do seem to be awfully fond of your guns) :lol: Only kidding.

But Sly, Raptor, do you feel as if you're under attack at the moment, with the debate over stricter controls?
Or would you, as responsible gun owners, appreciate sensible measures to keep guns (or certain types of guns) out of irresponsible hands?

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 5:23 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Or would you, as responsible gun owners, appreciate sensible measures to keep guns (or certain types of guns) out of irresponsible hands?
This question is an example of a fallacy called "logical paradox". It is written in a manner to purposefully make it unanswerable. Another example of this type of fallacy is "How long ago did you stop beating your wife?"

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 5:45 am

Is it?
Maybe my own biases are showing, that was unintentional, just hard to avoid sometimes.
How can I put it a better way? How about:

Would you support any new gun control measures at all? If so, which do you feel would be most effective?

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 6:27 am

The new gun control measure should be: Make it a criminal offense to ignore enforcement of existing gun control laws. The problem is not a lack of gun control laws. We have the proper ones in the legal code. The problem it is the unwillingness of our government to enforce them.
I could go off on a tangent about several other types of crimes that are similarly not being enforced for political reasons...

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 7:59 am

Or maybe they don't have the cojones to try to enforce them, because they know the people would rebel. This in turn means those laws should never have been passed.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 1:44 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to be honest and click "symbolic or object of desire" :twisted:
(Some of you guys do seem to be awfully fond of your guns) :lol: Only kidding.

But Sly, Raptor, do you feel as if you're under attack at the moment, with the debate over stricter controls?

I primarily own guns for defense and collecting. What exactly do you mean by symbolic or object of desire? Is it that whole men who won large trucks or guns are compsenating for small penis thing ?

Yes we are very under attack. All the pushing for simiauto bans, nics fix with its horrible wording, expanded background checks with its horrible wording, attempting to make aspies who get government aid treated as violent and out into nics and have their rights stripped without due process, attempts to ban magazines, trying to higher the legal age to buy a rife , etc. though there’s never a time we gun ownwers aren’t under attack every single day they attack us, they are always in the attack. Since around 2008 it’s been never ending.

MrsPeel wrote:
Is it?
Maybe my own biases are showing, that was unintentional, just hard to avoid sometimes.
How can I put it a better way? How about:

Would you support any new gun control measures at all? If so, which do you feel would be most effective?

Nope not a single one. They are all horrible. Even the simplest sounding one they cram full of horrible stuff hidden under its name.
I support removing the nfa, Hughes act, oblishing the atf or atleast making them just alcohol and tobac agency, fbi already handles guns and atf has a horrible past(fast and furious) . I want national carry reciprocity, and unbanning silencers, though if we got rid of nfa it’d be covered. Europe requires silencers,us makes them hard to get lol.
I’d also like it made so if you move next to a gun range you can’t complain about the noise and get the, closed down. They were there first you knew they’d be shooting guns.
It should be just like how people can’t legally complain about sand on their property when they live near the beach. Gov told them they knew the about sand when they both a house on the beach and they need to give the government it’s sand back :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 1:59 pm

I don't have small children or kids in general in my house.My handgun is loaded,safety on and where I can get to it quick if I need to.I've had to put down sick animals,and if something tries to drag off a chicken I don't want to be fumbling around trying to load it or unlock it.For protection also,years ago there was a violent home invasion at my closest neighbor's.It also would take the police at least thirty minutes to get here,maybe more if I needed them.I don't dpend on them showing up to protect me and no one else here counts on them for protection.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 2:10 pm

The way I see it is that a responsible collective society makes laws taking all citizens into consideration.

You can either have guns but so can the irresponsible, the mentally challenged and the dangerous, or you can't have guns and neither can those listed above. It's one or the other, you choose whether all in society can have guns or none can.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 4:08 pm

By default, everyone can. The alternative requires someone to forcibly steal all the guns from their owners.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 4:53 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
By default, everyone can. The alternative requires someone to forcibly steal all the guns from their owners.

Anti gun people don’t see forcefully taking people’s possessions ,without compensation on top of it, as stealing if it’s done by the government on the anti gun people’s behalf. If it was about doing so to them they’d freak out and call for abolishing the government.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 4:23 am

Misslizard wrote:
I don't have small children or kids in general in my house.My handgun is loaded,safety on and where I can get to it quick if I need to.I've had to put down sick animals,and if something tries to drag off a chicken I don't want to be fumbling around trying to load it or unlock it.For protection also,years ago there was a violent home invasion at my closest neighbor's.It also would take the police at least thirty minutes to get here,maybe more if I needed them.I don't dpend on them showing up to protect me and no one else here counts on them for protection.

Even in the city or suburbs it can take too long, but too long can be only a few minutes.
There's an old saying that when seconds count the police are only minutes away. This is why hearing someone say "well, I'll just call the police if someone breaks in" sounds so stupid.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 7:43 am

I don't own a gun because I have no interest in guns. I do however support the right to gun ownership. The founders wisely understood that a free people need to be able to defend their life, liberty and property from those who would be tempted to take them. As recent events in the US have shown us, gun ownership can make the difference between being a victim of an angry mob or not.