Should religious people be detained n mental hospitals?

Page 6 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 11:35 am

And you haven't committed "transgressions," Mr. Pepe?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 3:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
And you haven't committed "transgressions," Mr. Pepe?

Errrm...
I never transgress... 8O
I simply speak the truth...
Look at my signature: I'm the Oracle of Truth...:mrgreen:

As Sancho Panza said: "There's no use blaming my eye, it doesn't make the world it only sees it".... :wink:

Well, as often happens I was being facetious... 8O
In this context "transgression" means defying my monopoly on the truth... :mrgreen:

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2018, 8:27 pm

I think religeon has an awful lot to answer for but for some reason its as strong as ever. In science we require proof but not reigeon, do the math

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2018, 11:53 am

fifasy wrote:
I think anyone who claims a being there is no proof of existing is real should be diagnosed with schizophrenia, detained against their will in a mental hospital and pumped full of drugs. It is curious that we do that to people who talk to "voices" but not to people who talk to "God".

You missed the criterion in the DSM/ICD that says a delusional belief must cause a significant impairment in occupational and social functioning. This is paramount because otherwise we'd return to the old Soviet diagnosis of "sluggish schizophrenia", which was used to justify taking away freedoms from anyone with undesirable (political) opinions.

To have a false belief, without any impairment in social and occupational functioning, does not constitute a mental illness according to psychiatric guidelines.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 10:47 pm

I don't think that religious people should be locked up in mental hospitals. I'd hate to be locked up because I'm a Christian.

Why were you locked up?
I believe in God.
Let my child go!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 4:20 pm

No, they're far too numerous for the rest of us to support and we lack sufficient beds. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う