Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 11:42 am

Arganger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Arganger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Redxk wrote:
How many unarmed African-Americans have to die before protesting the flag/anthem isn't somehow "off-limits"?

When we no longer have a racist jackass for President who scores political points by denigrating African American protest as somehow Anti-American.

I don't care why someone is doing so, sitting isn't what I would call wrong. I don't do it for black rights, because I started doing it long before it was a "Thing", starting at five.

You started sitting at five?

Yes. Remember, as I have said, I also have ODD.

I like this person.

I have a 7th grade student with ODD. I think I’m the only teacher at our school who gets along with him.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 1:02 pm

You Americans always think you're the best at everything. Don't think you're the best at being evil. Other countries are better at being evil than you!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 5:04 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
CYCLE_MONKEY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Without the liberal arts, there would be no culture in America, no arts, no humanities. All we'd have would be a stale, sterile society where people work, go home to eat, make little people, sleep, then repeat, with little else. You might be content with that sort of life, but I'm certainly not.

I don't believe that for a second. You don't need a liberal arts degree to be creative and artistic, I'm proof of that....and there's plenty other out there just like me. I've never had (or needed) any formal art training, I just understand what's pleasing to the eye. There are plenty of conservative artists, actors, etc., that manage to be creative without being a liberal "artist".

Culture is debatable, like art. I think we in America have our own culture, and that it's plenty unique.

As far as humanities, by far the most money and effort in solving 3rd world problems (clean water, sanitation, healthy food, medicine) comes from Christian Conservative charities etc. I Doubt many, if any, of them are liberal artists.

I'm quite content with the clean water, sanitation, good roads, fresh produce/food, technologies, medicine, and art that those with STEM science majors gave us....oh, and the art too.....

Well, I'm pleased you haven't allowed yourself to become an uncultured, barely literate dotard like the current inhabitant of the White House. That said, I am a recipient of a liberal arts education, and am a published author. Could I have written without my degree in History? Probably. But would I have had the horizons opened to me by my education which I've in one way or another incorporated into my art? Probably not.
Many disciplines such as Anthropology and Archaeology in fact stand with one foot in the liberal arts, and another in the sciences.
Why wouldn't there be anyone with liberal arts degrees among Christian groups?
I happen to admire the sciences. It's business, devoid of any liberal arts education, that I find creates a culturally sterile individual.

Don’t forget Geography!

How could I forget geography?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 5:18 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
CYCLE_MONKEY wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Without the liberal arts, there would be no culture in America, no arts, no humanities. All we'd have would be a stale, sterile society where people work, go home to eat, make little people, sleep, then repeat, with little else. You might be content with that sort of life, but I'm certainly not.

I don't believe that for a second. You don't need a liberal arts degree to be creative and artistic, I'm proof of that....and there's plenty other out there just like me. I've never had (or needed) any formal art training, I just understand what's pleasing to the eye. There are plenty of conservative artists, actors, etc., that manage to be creative without being a liberal "artist".

Culture is debatable, like art. I think we in America have our own culture, and that it's plenty unique.

As far as humanities, by far the most money and effort in solving 3rd world problems (clean water, sanitation, healthy food, medicine) comes from Christian Conservative charities etc. I Doubt many, if any, of them are liberal artists.

I'm quite content with the clean water, sanitation, good roads, fresh produce/food, technologies, medicine, and art that those with STEM science majors gave us....oh, and the art too.....

Well, I'm pleased you haven't allowed yourself to become an uncultured, barely literate dotard like the current inhabitant of the White House. That said, I am a recipient of a liberal arts education, and am a published author. Could I have written without my degree in History? Probably. But would I have had the horizons opened to me by my education which I've in one way or another incorporated into my art? Probably not.
Many disciplines such as Anthropology and Archaeology in fact stand with one foot in the liberal arts, and another in the sciences.
Why wouldn't there be anyone with liberal arts degrees among Christian groups?
I happen to admire the sciences. It's business, devoid of any liberal arts education, that I find creates a culturally sterile individual.

Without business, there’s no money to pay artists.

And you don’t even need the university to get a liberal arts education. Arts and humanities are tied to the success of any business. To be pleasing to consumers, you have to take graphic and industrial design into consideration. You might have the one invention that’s going to radically change the world for the better, but if it doesn’t look like anything anyone would ever want to use, how do you intend to get it into the hands of those who need it most?

Maybe you have a drug that wipes out HIV AND cancer. Doesn’t matter how great it is if you can’t get your message out. The humanities already factor into everything we do. All you have to do is talk to people and ask them what they want. Then you find someone who can deliver on it. I can almost guarantee there are folk artists out there who can do just as well as university graduates.

Even now there’s a YouTube video for practically everything. And if you need more specialized help, you can take individual college courses to develop skills. I took a college course in sound design and synth programming and two courses in film composing, and that was YEARS after I finished my master’s
degree. I got more practical knowledge from 3 courses than 2 years of full-time coursework plus a thesis. I’ve worked out a music composition algorithm using PureData and am very slowly learning how to code it in Swift, all by watching YouTube. When I look back on what I did for two music degrees and what I’d hoped I’d accomplish, it really does seem like I’d have been better off skipping the college route altogether along with massive debt and just going for it alone.

But you can’t earn those degrees without first having a comprehensive education, including having to study things that do nothing to improve or enhance what you’re there to do. What one professor thinks is great literature or another professor’s opinion of history that is taught as law is totally irrelevant to learning any of these things, yet college profs frequently use their positions as platforms for indoctrination. I say take what you need and bypass all the bs. I believe one day a lot of your academic programs will pass into irrelevance and the only role universities will have will be in training certain types of professionals, such as teachers, physicians, lawyers, and the like. There are already independent universities springing up to rescue kids from having to swallow the leftist garbage version of the humanities, so I think that day is fast approaching.

Published writers? I mean, why even bother? You know how to tell a good story, you know what everyone out there is reading, you have a good handle on grammatical structure which, if you’re writing formula fiction and you’re writing colloquial dialogue you don’t even need most of the time. So get busy and tell your story.

Musician? Start a band.

Songwriter? Producer? Invest in a rhyming thesaurus. DAWs are straightforward enough to be almost self-explanatory. You don’t need a degree for that.

Classical musician? Forget it. In fact, I used to think that having studied and practiced clarinet and having a master’s degree would open some doors and help me get an orchestra gig. Nope. Principal clarinet in the local symphony doesn’t even HAVE a music degree, the 2nd chair guy is a university prof who doesn’t even live here, and, like, MAYBE 3 people who are in the orchestra actually do live here. Everyone else is scattered across 4 different states.

The ONLY advantages my degree has ever given me is slightly higher pay than other high school teachers and the ability to offer music classes for college credit.

Oh, and I’ve personally known gifted instrumentalists who couldn’t give up pot long enough to make it to class enough to even get an associate’s degree who dropped out and still get symphony gigs.

So...PLEASE explain to me exactly how it is an almighty college degree in the humanities is supposed to help us? Because the only thing I’ve ever seen humanities grads ever do consistently is breed more profs who keep shrieking the same old propaganda their profs drilled into them.

Oh, and it’s not just me. My wife has a bachelor’s degree in psychology. ANYBODY want to take a guess what SHE does for a living? Hint: NOT psychology! The crazy thing is she loves her current job as a teaching assistant and her coworkers and superiors recognize her gift for working with kids. They are pressuring her to go BACK to school to become a full-time elementary classroom teacher. Do NOT tell me that humanities degrees determine any kind of success. I’ve seen credentialed, experienced teachers get fired for mediocrity, while the only reason why my wife, who has the gift and only just now has anyone figured it out, can’t get the job is because state law requires creds she doesn’t have on paper. A piece of freakin’ paper you could wipe your @$$ with is all that stands in her way.

So...um...NO, I don’t really believe the almighty University is the be-all, end-all, gatekeeper of the humanities. Let individuals decide which arts are worth saving rather than some self-righteous elite academic “Bright” inflict them on us.

Sure, there wouldn't be life without business. But it's the arts that make life worth living.
I don't have a problem with business persay. What I have a problem with is how too many business people read little outside of the business related, have no appreciation for the arts save for financial reasons, have a very superficial and politically guided grasp of history and current events. Yes, there is often a great deal of religiosity among the businessmen I know, their sort of theology is very shallow and fundamentalistic.
Sure, there is zero agreement in regard to what is good or bad among literature, paintings, movie making, or any of the other arts. But that's only because the arts can't be measured and weighed, but are ultimately things of personal preference. In recent times, the arts have suffered for the sake of making money. Literature, which I am personally involved with, has seen the major publishing houses taken over by business minded executives not at all interested in quality writing or originality, but are only interested in publishing works that fill a successful market. Hence, we have crap like Twilight, or The Bridges Of Madison County being set to print, because there's a market for such drivel. That's why more and more writers are taking to self publishing on Amazon, where art can actually flourish alongside crap.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 5:30 pm

Here's another one:
There is a whole political movement fighting for the rights and welfare of the unborn, but these same people want to cut the social safety net providing food, shelter, and medical care for those in need, calling both children and their parents leeches, parasites, and eaters. These people who weep for the aborted fetus will tell the child allowed to be born to pull him of herself up by the bootstraps and learn to be self sufficient. If you're pro life, you can't have it both ways. You have to also look out for the welfare of living children and their caregivers. For any conservatives who want to damn me for being a baby killer, you might be surprised to learn that I am personally pro life. And yet I hold much of the pro life movement in contempt because they care what happens to you before you're born, and after you die, but not in between.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 5:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Here's another one:
There is a whole political movement fighting for the rights and welfare of the unborn, but these same people want to cut the social safety net providing food, shelter, and medical care for those in need, calling both children and their parents leeches, parasites, and eaters. These people who weep for the aborted fetus will tell the child allowed to be born to pull him of herself up by the bootstraps and learn to be self sufficient. If you're pro life, you can't have it both ways. You have to also look out for the welfare of living children and their caregivers. For any conservatives who want to damn me for being a baby killer, you might be surprised to learn that I am personally pro life. And yet I hold much of the pro life movement in contempt because they care what happens to you before you're born, and after you die, but not in between.

That falls into the category of too modern.

However, that is one of the reasons I refuse to associate to a party. I am very prolife, and am only okay with abortion if the mother has a 50% chance of dying or more. I believe in some kind of support after birth, but I'm not great at economics so I don't know how much actually makes sense. I also do not mind giving away free birth control as some pro choice people have mentioned.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 6:08 pm

Arganger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Here's another one:

That falls into the category of too modern.

However, that is one of the reasons I refuse to associate to a party. I am very prolife, and am only okay with abortion if the mother has a 50% chance of dying or more. I believe in some kind of support after birth, but I'm not great at economics so I don't know how much actually makes sense. I also do not mind giving away free birth control as some pro choice people have mentioned.

Postnatal care is very economically wise, as it ensures healthy adults for the next generation.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 6:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Here's another one:

Made all the more egregious when these people say they want the country to live by Christian values. Giving to the needy is a Christian value. Jesus Christ told people to give to the needy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 6:49 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Here's another one:

Made all the more egregious when these people say they want the country to live by Christian values. Giving to the needy is a Christian value. Jesus Christ told people to give to the needy.

AMEN!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 5:38 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
what Kraichgauer said

In all fairness, I am not a Christian, however there are a lot of Christians on this site. Most of them are wonderful people. It's also true that overwhelmingly, Christians are pro-life. Some of them also have what might be described as "right-wing" views esp. as concerns government entitlements for the needy and disabled. However, many of these same people DO honor the Christian value of giving to the needy. Some give very generously e.g. through tithing (much of which money does go to help the less fortunate). What they oppose is having the government oblige them to contribute a sum of their money, the amount dictated to them by the government, some of which ostensibly may actually go to help other citizens. They believe charity should be given freely and willingly, and many of them do exactly that. Whether a society based on that principle is more humane than the traditional West European/Canadian social welfare state is not something I can honestly say, never having had perfect examples of either to compare with one another.

I should also say that some of the very nicest people I have ever know are devout Christians with conservative political views, whereas many left-wing people I have known have been arrogant and snarky about their beliefs and the beliefs of those with whom they disagree.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 8:37 am

I have no problem with government programs for those who need them. I have a problem with government creating dependency on programs.

I don’t have a problem with single mothers on welfare. I have a problem with single mothers and grandmothers living 15 to a house in deplorable conditions so they can live work-free. And they teach their daughters to get pregnant and continue the cycle. They even pimp them out to their uncles and cousins. Do NOT tell me this doesn’t happen. I used to work for a lawyer who made most of his money keeping the impoverished in bankruptcy, plus most of my teaching career has been among the underprivileged. I have seen it, touched it, SMELLED it. Do NOT tell me these poor people are somehow better off dependent on the government from cradle to grave. Leftist exploitation of these people in exchange for power is SICKENING.

I have no problem whatsoever supporting widows, and even more so if their husbands died in combat.

I have no problem supporting children whose own parents cannot for whatever reason adequately raise them. I don’t mean POOR. I mean abusive, mentally ill, etc.

But I DO have a BIG problem with corrupt, power-trip DHS social workers ripping kids from their parents without so much as due process. I have a BIG problem with foster parents who run their homes like some kind of business where kids run unsupervised, perpetuating cycles of abuse on younger children. I have a BIG problem with how these kids get inadequate education and are unable to care for themselves once they age out of the system.

I do not have a problem helping the disabled.

I DO have a problem with keeping the disabled drugged up and homebound when they want to at least TRY to contribute positively, and maybe they have SOME ability to do just that. People who want to continue to work doing what they enjoy but CANNOT because doing so would mean they’d lose the only margin they have in benefits. In other words, it’s a system that actually punishes people for even trying.

I do not think so-called “income inequality” is a big deal because productive people deserve to be rewarded on the basis of what they do.

I have a HUGE problem in the gap between welfare payouts and comparable entry-level wages that, over time, would lead to something that would genuinely help people get back on their feet after a personal economic crisis. The over abundance of government assistance creates dependency. I don’t think I’ll ever see a good resolution to this problem, because a government min wage mandate hurts employers. But maybe meeting in the middle somewhere with a slight increase in pay for entry level jobs with a significant enough reduction in welfare for job-seekers might make the workforce preferable to doing nothing.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 9:30 am

AngelRho wrote:
I have no problem with government programs for those who need them. I have a problem with government creating dependency on programs.

I don’t have a problem with single mothers on welfare. I have a problem with single mothers and grandmothers living 15 to a house in deplorable conditions so they can live work-free. And they teach their daughters to get pregnant and continue the cycle. They even pimp them out to their uncles and cousins. Do NOT tell me this doesn’t happen. I used to work for a lawyer who made most of his money keeping the impoverished in bankruptcy, plus most of my teaching career has been among the underprivileged. I have seen it, touched it, SMELLED it. Do NOT tell me these poor people are somehow better off dependent on the government from cradle to grave. Leftist exploitation of these people in exchange for power is SICKENING.

I have no problem whatsoever supporting widows, and even more so if their husbands died in combat.

I have no problem supporting children whose own parents cannot for whatever reason adequately raise them. I don’t mean POOR. I mean abusive, mentally ill, etc.

But I DO have a BIG problem with corrupt, power-trip DHS social workers ripping kids from their parents without so much as due process. I have a BIG problem with foster parents who run their homes like some kind of business where kids run unsupervised, perpetuating cycles of abuse on younger children. I have a BIG problem with how these kids get inadequate education and are unable to care for themselves once they age out of the system.

I DO have a problem with keeping the disabled drugged up and homebound when they want to at least TRY to contribute positively, and maybe they have SOME ability to do just that. People who want to continue to work doing what they enjoy but CANNOT because doing so would mean they’d lose the only margin they have in benefits. In other words, it’s a system that actually punishes people for even trying.

I do not think so-called “income inequality” is a big deal because productive people deserve to be rewarded on the basis of what they do.

I have a HUGE problem in the gap between welfare payouts and comparable entry-level wages that, over time, would lead to something that would genuinely help people get back on their feet after a personal economic crisis. The over abundance of government assistance creates dependency. I don’t think I’ll ever see a good resolution to this problem, because a government min wage mandate hurts employers. But maybe meeting in the middle somewhere with a slight increase in pay for entry level jobs with a significant enough reduction in welfare for job-seekers might make the workforce preferable to doing nothing.

It would help if welfare wasn't set up so that you can end up worse off if you work a low paying job.If the cut off for welfare was made so you are making more than you would on welfare, that would solve a lot of issues that way.

Also, if we capped how much hospitals and medical facilities could charge patients, as right now we are way over charged under the assumption of insurance.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 10:52 am

Arganger wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

It would help if welfare wasn't set up so that you can end up worse off if you work a low paying job.If the cut off for welfare was made so you are making more than you would on welfare, that would solve a lot of issues that way.

Also, if we capped how much hospitals and medical facilities could charge patients, as right now we are way over charged under the assumption of insurance.

Oh, and don’t EVEN get me started on medical care. It’s totally unfair. To everyone. Mississippi (where I live) has a long history of being an unbelievably litigious state. You can’t do ANYTHING without fear of a lawsuit. We’ve lost a lot of good doctors because medmal suits were out of control. We’ve passed massive tort reforms that put a stop to the bulk of it, but docs here are always really nervous about it.

Plus, the law says hospitals cannot refuse patients who can’t pay. Free med care is already here without the Unaffordable Health Care Act. But hospitals and doctors still get screwed when people can’t pay. So what? Send bill collectors, right? Except a judge will always find these debts are uncollectable, so they never even make it to court. We have insurance, but the deductible is too high for us to ever get any benefit from it.

Docs are only partially to blame. It’s easy to understand when you add up the costs: fighting torts, paying medmal insurance, unthinkably MASSIVE student loan debt, mortgage payments on the quarter-mil mansion, and paying for Baby Girl to get through Harvard... The smart ones pay for lifestyle in cash. The idiots go into debt and stay drunk on the weekends when they aren’t on the golf course.

That’s not me saying you need someone to tell you how to do business. It’s just common sense. The wealthiest docs I know married late and brought the wife home to simple, cheap 1-bedroom apartments. Others self-medicate on opioids and alcohol, end up in bankruptcy, divorced because the wife expects a certain lifestyle, and losing their license after they’ve been caught sloppy one too many times.

When you look at how much expense goes into it, how much risk these docs have to assume, how many deadbeat patients are out there together with those who honestly can’t help it, it’s no surprise why they struggle and WE end up getting punished for it.

The jerks weed themselves out, so I don’t worry much about them. Between the vultures and ambulance chasers out there, neither docs nor patients stand much of a chance.

My advice: invest in inexpensive health care sharing programs and keep $1.5k in cash somewhere you can get to easily in case someone runs a red light. That SHOULD keep you away from most medical expense nightmares.

That’s a minimum. Ideally you should set aside enough for a year’s worth of expenses. We keep $1.5k on hand at all times, prepay ALL utilities for a year (electric, cellphone, water. We have nothing else), and roll ALL extra income beyond that into a money market. It is extremely difficult to get money out of federally-regulated money markets, they earn a little bit of interest, but they are an available resource when things fall apart.

If you make it that far, start throwing money at long-term investments building your legacy (take care of your kids, IOW. Trust funds, education). And if you still have more money than you know what to do with, give it away. Nothing builds security like generosity. The less you have, the more important it is to be generous with what you DO have. Rich people instinctively know this. Paradoxically, the more they give away the richer they get.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 1:13 am

AngelRho wrote:

You put the blame on evil, evil leftists and poor people themselves. But what about businesses that had never employed many people in rural areas, or who had deserted the inner cities with white flight? Are you going to hold businesses accountable for denying huge swaths of Americans? In the cases of inner cities, it was clearly racist business people who picked up and left. And when they do employ people, it's a matter of employers paying people as little as they can while working them as much as they can. Do you feel any outrage about that?

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 9:57 pm

America and Evil, two words that are as far from one another as the Sun is from Saturn. Go live in Sudan, Iran or Syria and try to evaluate (that is - if you survive) how much they contributed to the human race in medicine, agriculture, technology and science. Let me save you the trouble - the answer is - none.

Seriously bro, the world is not black/white. If you think Slavery and all other things listed were invented in America well you're wrong. Everywhere in the world had Slavery at some point, it is definitely not an "American" thing. In fact the only reason why slavery is often mentioned in relation to America is Ethnocentrism (however almost nobody remembers there were human slavery markets in Saudi Arabia till the 1960s and women were not allowed to vote till very recently).

Instead of thinking oh this and that is evil I suggest every private citizen will try to minimize his/her own bad deeds and do as much good as possible instead.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 8:51 am

Chummy wrote:
America and Evil, two words that are as far from one another as the Sun is from Saturn. Go live in Sudan, Iran or Syria and try to evaluate (that is - if you survive) how much they contributed to the human race in medicine, agriculture, technology and science. Let me save you the trouble - the answer is - none.

Seriously bro, the world is not black/white. If you think Slavery and all other things listed were invented in America well you're wrong. Everywhere in the world had Slavery at some point, it is definitely not an "American" thing. In fact the only reason why slavery is often mentioned in relation to America is Ethnocentrism (however almost nobody remembers there were human slavery markets in Saudi Arabia till the 1960s and women were not allowed to vote till very recently).

Instead of thinking oh this and that is evil I suggest every private citizen will try to minimize his/her own bad deeds and do as much good as possible instead.

That is an unnecessary and unhelpful reply. Anyway, eugenics did actually originate in America, and the fact that other countries also did/do evil doesn't make what America has done okay.