Page 3 of 59 [ 942 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 59  Next

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 1:03 pm

I am still waiting for my Trump golf book (2005) to arrive so I am currently doing a slight deviation and reading an unauthorized Trump biography from 1985 by a Jerome Tuccille called “Trump: The Saga of America’s Most Powerful Real Estate Baron.” There seem to be only about four biographies written about him before the election.

It seems to have been put together from painstaking research from early news articles about Donald and his family and scanty field interviews with people who knew him then, as a young man. I believe it was not authorized because of the family information it contains.

I am halfway/65%ish through.

This is probably the book you’d want to read if you are looking to gain non-biased insight into the president’s actions. To sum it up so far in just a sentence or two, I would say that the author seems to see Donald Trump as a one in a lifetime financial wunderkind, who had a significant positive impact on Manhattan in the late 70s and early 1980s. He has described him several times as a modern BT Barnum, who can create something out of nothing and who purposefully keeps his competition and enemies in a state of confusion so that they don’t know what’s happened until he’s already won.

Very, very interesting read.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 2:33 pm

Unemployment rate matches lowest point in half a century

The jobless rate ticked down to 3.8% in May, another sign of the strong economy and tight labor market.

That tied the lowest unemployment rate since 1969. Since then, the only other time unemployment was this low was in April 2000.

"It fell for all the right reasons. We had more people coming into the labor market. We saw employers digging deeper into the pool of unemployed," said Josh Wright, chief economist at the software firm iCIMS.

The jobs report painted a picture of an economy with opportunities for almost everyone. Black unemployment fell to a record low, and the gap between black and white unemployment shrank to the narrowest ever measured.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/01/news/ec ... index.html

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 3:33 pm

We Ran Out of Words to Describe How Good the Jobs Numbers Are

The economy is in a sweet spot, with steady growth and broad improvement in the labor market.

The real question in analyzing the May jobs numbers released Friday is whether there are enough synonyms for “good” in an online thesaurus to describe them adequately.

So, for example, “splendid” and “excellent” fit the bill. Those are the kinds of terms that are appropriate when the United States economy adds 223,000 jobs in a month, despite being nine years into an expansion, and when the unemployment rate falls to 3.8 percent, a new 18-year low.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/01/upsh ... s-are.html

There Are Four Lights!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 8:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
Damn sure seems to be doing a bang-up job so far.
At this time I see no reason why he won't get a second term.

+1

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 9:15 pm

There Are Four Lights!

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 9:35 pm

Im not really anti-Trump, but I don't support him. I agree that mainstream democrats are foolish for obstructing him with the Russia-gete bull. I don't think impeaching him would necessarily improve the situation either.

He ran with the neo-con party, so he has to play in their court.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 10:34 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

+1

Beside his economic reforms, that are disastrous in long term, with the rise of inequality and the destruction of government income, what did he do that is so extraordinary?
Destroying the environment?
Marginalizing minorities?
Deregulating Wall Street?
Propagating lies?
Defending the politics of the likes of Rodrigo Duterte?
Helping the rise of intolerant nationalism?

Unless you only care about your jobs, even if it mean the rise of what is possibly a new fascism.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 12:07 pm

Worth a listen.
https://youtu.be/mHYU7Tyb_Ds

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 12:36 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

+1

Beside his economic reforms, that are disastrous in long term, with the rise of inequality and the destruction of government income, what did he do that is so extraordinary?
Destroying the environment?
Marginalizing minorities?
Deregulating Wall Street?
Propagating lies?
Defending the politics of the likes of Rodrigo Duterte?
Helping the rise of intolerant nationalism?

Unless you only care about your jobs, even if it mean the rise of what is possibly a new fascism.

Yet I haven’t met any Filipino so far who doesn’t love Rodrigo Duterte (there are plenty of Filipinas where I live).

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 8:53 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 10:14 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 1:21 pm

^
Ever notice how the people of that certain special political denomination don't seem to care about the economy or jobs. It speaks volumes...

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 2:49 am

Raptor wrote:
^
Ever notice how the people of that certain special political denomination don't seem to care about the economy or jobs. It speaks volumes...
And the other political denomination only cares about the economy and jobs and nothing else...except maybe guns and increasing the military budget. I think both sides fail at seeing the full picture, and yes, as difficult as it may be to believe, the economy and jobs are only part of the equation. Heck, Trump's just taking credit for the work Obama has done to reduce unemployment anyways, so that literally just leaves the economy for his merits, and we'll see how that fares after the international trade war he started is in full swing.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 8:44 am

The trade war will effect Americas farmers.We export chicken,rice,and soybeans from my state.Farmers have it tough enough already dealing with weather and fluctuations in prices.Its already hurting them,but hey, if there are plenty of jobs in the urban areas,then who cares about the people that put food on your plate?
https://www.agweb.com/mobile/blog/the-t ... ith-china/

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 1:09 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The trade war will effect Americas farmers.We export chicken,rice,and soybeans from my state.Farmers have it tough enough already dealing with weather and fluctuations in prices.Its already hurting them,but hey, if there are plenty of jobs in the urban areas,then who cares about the people that put food on your plate?
https://www.agweb.com/mobile/blog/the-t ... ith-china/
And here I was thinking that idiot is the champion of rural Americans. Here in Canada we're only retaliating because if we just cave in to Donald's bullying he won't get the message that he can't just do whatever he wants and not suffer the consequences. It's unfortunate that people are getting caught in the crosshairs. That Oompa Loompa may be our enemy but you are not. In all fairness, Donald's tariffs are bad news for our steel and aluminum industry, so people on our side of the border are feeling this trade war too.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 1:30 pm

It's pretty damn simple everybody. Wars =\= good. Same goes for 'trade wars'. All this means is Donald wasn't paying attention in kindergarten.

For that matter he already flip-flopped twice about the DPRK summit. I'm not sold on giving a reality TV star the Nobel prize because we're already in an all-out cyber-warfare scenario with China & NK, his nuclear fame of footsie is only making that worse.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: