b. To act intelligently. 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
c. Both a and b. 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
d. None of the above. 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 8:06 am

I had to dig into “what intelligence IS” for my thesis, and it was a can of worms. I answered B, going by Fnord’s request to answer plainly without a bunch of philosophy.

My personal observation is that smart people are less satisfied with their lives than people of normal or below normal intelligence. And intelligence without kindness is a terrible thing. I would much rather have villains be dumb. Ultimately, you want a society where people are nice AND intelligent.

I’m really only concerned with what people do. Are their actions beneficial to me? Or at least harmless? I think the most amount of people (including me) are content when other people behave well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 8:28 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I had to dig into "What intelligence IS" for my thesis, and it was a can of worms. I answered B, going by Fnord’s request to answer plainly without a bunch of philosophy. My personal observation is that smart people are less satisfied with their lives than people of normal or below normal intelligence. And intelligence without kindness is a terrible thing. I would much rather have villains be dumb. Ultimately, you want a society where people are nice AND intelligent. I’m really only concerned with what people do. Are their actions beneficial to me? Or at least harmless? I think the most amount of people (including me) are content when other people behave well.
Thank you, SOA. It's good to have at least one other person here who performs actual research on any given topic.

"What intelligence is" ... a pertinent question for people whose work is in the development of artificial intelligence. How do you code for intuition? How do you simulate emotion? How would you ever know for sure that your AI has achieved full sentience and self-awareness?

There's a largely apocryphal story that three AIs were connected to the Library of Congress database. After about a year of just letting them 'wander' around the virtual stacks, they were all asked "What does D.E.O. stand for?" The first one responded with "Soli Deo Gloria", the second one responded with "Daylight come, me wan' go home", and the third one was too busy looking at cat videos to respond.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 1:27 pm

Well as far as All Actual Human intelligences and Research
Therein over 99 Percent oF
All Human intelligences
Exist within outside of
Books for those who
Love Cat photos are
Infinitely Beyond
Standard IQ under
Love that’s Really
Actually Moving
Connecting Co-Creating
A Newer Page oF a Multi
Universe with Love but sure
Science Still does Bare Bones
Existence OK enough for Some..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick