Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 12:24 pm

I’m just throwing this out there to see what other people think because I’m unsure about it myself.

Some religions (especially strict religions or cults) really restrict their members’ liberty - either through shunning, discouraging education (the Amish in my area drop out of school when they’re old enough), and not allowing birth control.

While people could go against their religions’ beliefs and do these things, they usually don’t due to believing their church is right, it’s all they know, or they lack any support outside of the church.

What types of ways could the government step in more to give people (especially born ins) more freedom? Or is more involvement a bad idea?

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 26 Jul 2018, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 12:31 pm

I’m realizing that the topic I brought up is multifaceted and difficult to answer.

As far as education goes, maybe it should be a requirement for youth to go to high school, be in an accredited home school program, or be enrolled in GED classes.

It’s very hard for youth raised in these insular groups to get out because they have nothing to fall back on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 12:42 pm

The real b***h in all this is that government cannot step in, say, if a person is being "shunned." They can only step in if something is illegal in a secular sense.

There are many things which are technically "legal" which can very easily put restrictions on those who belong to strict, insular religions/cults.

One thing which is especially galling is economic pressure. And the government, by and large, can do nothing to stop it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 1:23 pm

Said cults could simply say that their freedom of religion was being violated if the government stepped in.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 1:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Said cults could simply say that their freedom of religion was being violated if the government stepped in.

That’s true.

I’m wondering if there could be reasonable policies put in place that could enable more freedom without stepping on to many “zealous” toes.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 1:45 pm

Only government restricts liberty, by definition. Everything else is liberty.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 1:50 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

The New Oxford American Dictionary defines liberty as “the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one’s way of life, behavior, or political views.”

It wouldn’t have to be just political or governmental authority.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:16 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

As if stopping a racist or homophobic majority from stomping on an unpopular minority is detrimental to to liberty.

To the OP: Sorry, I'm seriously not trying to derail this thread, but the last jab at the government "limiting freedom" needed answering, I thought.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

As if stopping a racist or homophobic majority from stomping on an unpopular minority is detrimental to to liberty.

To the OP: Sorry, I'm seriously not trying to derail this thread, but the last jab at the government "limiting freedom" needed answering, I thought.

I’m the queen of derailment. :wink:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:21 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

I’m the queen of derailment. :wink:

:lol: 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:22 pm

She's like Helen of Troy; she can launch a thousand derailments :wink:

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:25 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
The New Oxford American Dictionary defines liberty as “the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one’s way of life, behavior, or political views.”

Oh, yeah, what can you expect from a dictionary made by academia and its leftist agenda? :lol:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:28 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Oh, yeah, what can you expect from a dictionary made by academia and its leftist agenda? :lol:

I would ask you to go into more detail in order to justify that, but as I said, I don't want to derail the thread.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

It is detrimental. People should have a right to be racist or bigoted in any other way they want. It's freedom of thought and speech.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:32 pm

There's all sorts of political ideologies among people who compile dictionaries.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:35 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

If you’d prefer, you could substitute “freedom” for “liberty” in this instance.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 26 Jul 2018, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.