Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 4:50 pm

As much as I dislike Donald Trump, I'm going to admit that there are plenty of reasons to hate China. Their poor record when it comes to LGBT+ acceptance is one of those reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH552xLZNp0

I'm not sure if Trump's tariffs will be effective … but I really hope that something will change in China soon.

By the way, the YouTube channel that made that video is brilliant. Watch some of their other videos. You will become a smarter person.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 6:14 pm

It sounds like you are confusing tariffs with trade embargos/sanctions.

If a country does something we don't like (apartheid in south Africa, Iran/Norks building nukes, Russia oppressing Jews decades ago, Russia hacking our election now, ) then we might cut off trade with them to punish them, and to try to get them to change their policy.

Tariffs are for trade protectionism. Not for punishing the country for noneconomic policies. You place a tax on imports from all other countries in order to reduce domestic demand for imports by jacking up the price of the imports so that you can protect domestic industries by channeling demand to the same products made in your own country.

For example: if china were to flood the us market with say..cheap steel. We might impose tariffs on imported steel to protect our steel industry.

But if China oppressed Tibetians, or oppressed the LBGT community, and we got sick of it, and then we got the UN and our allies to all band together to punish China for it then we might well impose "trade sanctions", or have one big cut off of trade with them. And hope that they say "uncle" eventually.

I suppose that tariffs COULD be used as part of trade sanctions, but that's not historically how they are used( to my understanding), and its not why Trump is imposing them now. Its about protectionism and American jobs.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 12:24 am

Still … I think that Trump and his supporters are hating China for all the wrong reasons.

There are plenty of good reasons to hate China, but Trump and his fans never bring them up.

For example, racism and religious bigotry are common in China, and I think that more people need to be made aware of this.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 6:13 am

The problem is that the right won't do anything unless they can profit from it, and the left won't do anything because the perpetrators aren't white Christians.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 8:11 am

On this issue the Chinese are ONLY as bad as we Americans ourselves were in the 1950's. They give gays shock treatment. They don't stone gays to death in the public square like they do in the Islamic Republic of Trashcanistan, or wherever.

And we have so many other bigger fishes to fry with China. And China has us over more than one barrel. Not the least of which is North Korea. Beijing hates and fears the crazy Norks only slightly less than do Washington, and Seoul. But North Korea is a big thorn in the side of the US, and the US depends on Chinese cooperation to contain the Norks. So for that reason China can jerk us around if we try to pressure them on other stuff like human rights.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 8:56 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
The problem is that the right won't do anything unless they can profit from it, and the left won't do anything because the perpetrators aren't white Christians.

very true :(

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 11:51 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

very true :(

It isn't true.

The truth is that most Americans (left right and center) know that we Americans cant do squat about the issue of gay rights in china, any more than we can free Tibet, or undo Tianemmen Square and give the Chinese people democracy.

Its an interesting video, but your misusing it to create a confused and inane thread about bashing Trump.

To paraphrase you:if you're gonna bash Trump bash him for the right reason.

America has been loosing smokestack factory jobs to China, but Trump takes that real fact and hypes it with nonsense about China "stealing" our jobs through nefarious means. And uses that as an excuse to start trade wars. BTW it was tradewars and tariffs that were the immediate cause of the Great Depression. So bash away on Trump for lying and for economic wrong headedness- if you want. But that all has nothing to do with gay rights in China.

I don't expect Trump to free China's gays any more than I expected any of last ten presidents of the US to free Tibet and/or give China democracy. And China isn't even all of that bad, only recently we were just as bad, on gay rights. China is just a little old fashioned. We used to use shock therapy, and we still use a religious verison of conversion therapy in some quarters.