Page 6 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 5:43 pm

Peacesells wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Don't want to contribute to society, go live in the woods and eat bugs.

I fail to see how forcing anarchy on people is somehow more "free" than taxation. Most sane people have no interest in existing in chaos.

I don't intend to force anarchy on them, they can go and establish a flat Earth community in the desert and out of my sight, for all I care.

Or do you mean that they want to force anarchy on us?

Yes.

Most intelligent people don't view "freedom" as meaning "anyone should be allowed to do whatever they want, and it's moral if a stronger person subjugates a weak person."

Most of us prefer lawful, orderly societies that have systems set up that insure we can live in relative peace. Some folks seem to think that inflicting lawless anarchy on the majority of those of us is somehow more "free" than being required to pay taxes and follow laws.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 2:27 am

Anyone who wants to live without laws and without paying taxes is free to move to Somalia. If you like you can send us a postcard :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 7:17 pm

That European heatwave wouldn't be so devastating if Europeans had air-conditioning.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2018, 10:24 pm

The solution is to start focusing on renewable energy sources. I don't understand what the problem is. They will likely become ubiquitous eventually so people may as well invest right now to speed along the process and save our planet at the same time.

Daniel89 wrote:
Global warming will make life on Earth much harsher but it won't wipe people out

This summer has already killed a significant amount of people, and this is due to abnormally high temperatures. It will kill people, and it's thought that parts of the earth may soon become uninhabitable. This isn't even considering the other effects like more extreme weather and floods.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 11:50 pm

Mythos wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
Global warming will make life on Earth much harsher but it won't wipe people out

This summer has already killed a significant amount of people, and this is due to abnormally high temperatures. It will kill people, and it's thought that parts of the earth may soon become uninhabitable. This isn't even considering the other effects like more extreme weather and floods.

That's still not enough to wipe people out.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 12:30 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Anyone who wants to live without laws and without paying taxes is free to move to Somalia. If you like you can send us a postcard :)

Somalia seems to have high individual taxes. A 18% individual income tax rate and a 5% sales tax rate.

Somali government introduces 5% sales tax to boost revenues
https://africa.cgtn.com/2018/02/17/soma ... -revenues/

There are so many taxes in Somalia, it doesn't even rank as a "tax haven".

"The Cayman Islands" seems like a better example. The Cayman Islands: No corporate tax, No estate tax, No Property Tax, No Income Tax, No Capital Gains Tax, No Inheritance Tax, No Gift Tax, No Corporation Tax, Duty Free shopping
http://www.cireba.com/tax-free

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 5:13 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Somalia seems to have high individual taxes. A 18% individual income tax rate and a 5% sales tax rate.

Somali government introduces 5% sales tax to boost revenues
https://africa.cgtn.com/2018/02/17/soma ... -revenues/

There are so many taxes in Somalia, it doesn't even rank as a "tax haven".

"The Cayman Islands" seems like a better example. The Cayman Islands: No corporate tax, No estate tax, No Property Tax, No Income Tax, No Capital Gains Tax, No Inheritance Tax, No Gift Tax, No Corporation Tax, Duty Free shopping
http://www.cireba.com/tax-free

Ok so I was wrong. I'm not sure how good Somalia is at enforcing their tax collection. Anyway with 18% + 5% sales tax, somalis still pay less tax than I do.

Oreillomon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jun 2019, 11:55 am

What are the best websites about climatic changes for learning about his issues ?

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 2:28 pm

Mythos wrote:
The solution is to start focusing on renewable energy sources. I don't understand what the problem is. They will likely become ubiquitous eventually so people may as well invest right now to speed along the process and save our planet at the same time.
Daniel89 wrote:

To the first part we should focus on developing renewable energy sources, but we should not wreck our society to do so.

To the second part, portions of this earth are already uninhabitable due to being too cold (Antarctica) or too hot (Death Valley). Global warming will certainly change the habitable ranges but not eliminate them entirely (unless we warm to like mean 40C temperature, but that is REALLY unlikely).