Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 6:30 pm

Damn, I really wanted to see that! It sounded better than many other things the military could be doing. And keeping Trump occupied with big trucks for awhile couldn't make things any worse.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 8:40 pm

It seemed to me that this (as so often happens) was all about Trump and his I AM THE GREATEST AT ANYTHING EVER ego. He went to France and was probably affronted with narcissistic envy because France's celebrations were impressive. How dare they show their leader more deference than he gets. Trump's diary after seeing the Bastille Day parade reads:

how dare they... don't they know I am the greatest world leader ever? I'll show them! With my greatest ever IQ, being the smartest man who ever lived, I'll show them in a bigger parade that celebrates me!! Me!! ! Take that France! You'll be choking with envy on your frog's legs then, as I go home to stuff my orange face with cheeseburgers and fries. PS, we call them fries here in the USA, because they aren't french fries, because my fries are better than yours, being American fast food fries, see - anything you can do I can do better, I'm the best at be best and my wife has a be best plastic surgery plan so she can be best too, better than your wife, but she's old so she doesn't count anyway. Yes, I know that I'm older than her but that doesn't count because I am the best at assessing women as sex objects or dogs, and I know the French love dogs because someone told me, I don't read books about France myself because being the smartest man in the world if there is anything worth knowing, I know it already. Bet my other thing is bigger than yours even if my fingers are pretty small. Take that froggie...

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2018, 11:45 pm

Wow, this thread is gnarly. Pretty much pure emotion, I'm just gonna ignore the hatefest and share my thoughts. Maybe someone reasonable will reply to my message.

My thoughts: good, save on taxpayer money. Our government is drowning in debt and has a horrible deficit; now is not the time for any new agencies (not referring to Space Force, long story short: that already exists as a part of US Air Force, so I couldn't care less about it, I'm referring to any ideas of completely new agencies in general regardless of administration), expansion of agencies, or increased funding of any agencies, let alone a parade.

From another perspective, we don't need a parade because that's what self-conscious military powers do. The ethos of the US military has not been to show power by dancing, it's been to show power by doing.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 11:48 pm

Hyeokgeose wrote:
The ethos of the US military has not been to show power by dancing, it's been to show power by doing.

That sounds about right. They have to be doing, as my grandparents would have said.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2018, 2:21 am

I'm glad Trump didn't get a military parade meant to honor him rather than our actual veterans. It would have been a vulgar display of power more reminiscent of North Korea than the US. IMO those veterans deserve to be with their families, participating in parades that pay respect to them or marking the day in whatever way they see fit. They don't deserve to be press-ganged into a gaudy spectacle to appease the fragile ego of one man. The world already knows we have a strong military. We don't need to flaunt it by rolling tanks down our streets.

Perhaps we could take those millions of dollars that would have gone to the parade and instead spend it on assisting homeless and disabled veterans? Just a thought.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 3:44 pm

Tequila wrote:
Seems a sensible move from him. Why let John Q. Taxpayer be ripped off? Same principle here.

Although it's not my country and not for me to say.

It's your descendants' country, if I were you I would plan to dominate it and annex it back to the UK. Ha.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 3:48 pm

We're not in that business any more. Costs too much.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 4:03 pm

AspE wrote:
Damn, I really wanted to see that! It sounded better than many other things the military could be doing. And keeping Trump occupied with big trucks for awhile couldn't make things any worse.
Maybe he finally outgrew Matchbox™?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm

Hyeokgeose wrote:
The ethos of the US military has not been to show power by dancing, it's been to show power by doing.
I can't imagine Patton saying "We defeated the Germans with our skills at Allongé, le Grand Jeté, et le Pirouette."

(I may have just figured out why the French were so easily over-run...)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2018, 7:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
Hyeokgeose wrote:
I can't imagine Patton saying "We defeated the Germans with our skills at Allongé, le Grand Jeté, et le Pirouette."

(I may have just figured out why the French were so easily over-run...)

Pardon?

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Hyeokgeose wrote:
I can't imagine Patton saying "We defeated the Germans with our skills at Allongé, le Grand Jeté, et le Pirouette."(I may have just figured out why the French were so easily over-run...)
Pardon?
No thanks ... I've already received one.