What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 27 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 41  Next

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2019, 4:19 pm

firemonkey wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
McVey is the only one with principles.

What principles?

Democracy.

Anyone who seeks to attack the disabled and poor as she does has no principles. Like a lot of Tories she's of a sociopathic bent.

Well, round ones bin and gone, including two faced Mcvey. Anyway, Leadsom was a poor runner, why is she always running for leadership, when she backs down at the last post?
It's all Tories on top of each other and it's likely that D. Raab will soo be pipped at the post but never say never.. Tory fever is favouring hunt who will probably just end up scrapping your local A and E budget.
Raab has one default and an alternative to everyones problems, including this wretched Irish backstop, who's Malthouse agreed and on friendly E. U terms. He also has bigger fish to fry on the horizon and fills this country with optimism and fresh outlook for the future. Who wants a dull leader in times of economic austerity? No one.
It should be a close call, but if Raab is out, say goodbye to World Peace.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 12:27 pm

Raab goes out

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jun 2019, 3:29 pm

That debate was painful to watch in almost all aspects. Even Rory Stewart, normally very cerebral and rational, was avoiding questions and talking over people like the best of them. The questions were mostly pretty ill-informed but the candidates often didn't answer them anyway. They all promised spending rises for local government, education, health and social care, and the environment, along with a hard Brexit, and with the noble exception of Stewart, substantial tax cuts. It just doesn't add up.

Oh, and unsurprisingly, none of them offered a way forward on Brexit. They want to try negotiating again, even though they already tried that and achieved their aims. They'll get the best possible deal by threatening No Deal, even though they already did that too. They want to put their new deal back to Parliament, even though they already tried that and got rejected three times. They'll negotiate by any means necessary to keep an open border in Northern Ireland, and Boris Johnson specifically said he wouldn't put in any barrier to trade... but they also don't want a customs agreement even though that's the only way to avoid raising barriers to trade. Stewart was at least honest about the fact that all of these things would be impossible but didn't present any alternative.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2019, 11:33 pm

Raab is only out so they can get another handle of loser politicians to deal with the storm that is Post-Brexit. However long that will take. They want some unknown party person to see if they can do a better job. You can't bungee jump anymore than you can sew false hope into getting this backlash dealt with in an organised fashion. These blundering idiots can't even deal with their own shadow let alone anyone else's. The E.U will be getting another feast.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 2:11 am

I only caught a bit of it but I saw Johnson say first off that he would happily leave with no deal as he would use the 2 year implementation period afterwards to negotiate (wtf!?) then he said it's ok as he would just use GATT 24 to continue as we are :lol:

I am ok with Johnson taking over. He is just the next in line to be screamed at that he is a 'traitor'

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 12:22 pm

Stewart gone.

And then there were 4.....

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jun 2019, 12:48 pm

Stewart was the one with by far the best chance of making it to Christmas. But he was also the one with the least chance of being approved by the membership.

The race is now Johnson vs three identical "continuity May" candidates. Of the three I think Gove is the best politician but he'd be both infuriating and wasted as Prime Minister. Let's give him another ministerial role. Nobody as boring as Hunt deserves to be Prime Minister. So Javid, by default, but he'll be out next.

It's been clear that Johnson is going to win ever since the very first round and I've had no reason to revise that view. And I think his best chance of making it to Christmas is calling an election for January.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2019, 3:35 pm

Well, I'm glad someone is out. Rory Stewart. I mean, he spends 150k in one year to cover staffing, P.R travel and office costs and he decides on bizarrely sticking with a deal that wasn't passed, and not believing in ANY tax cuts for anyone. Boris rates middle to top earners saying they need a hefty tax reduction and you have humble viewers asking him on telly if the Torry Party would scrap tax for higher income earners and not answer on the lower threshold.
I will tell you all why. Universal Credit, founded by Ian D Smith, inflicting turmoil on all British families in need of a top up for their worthless incomes.
Its not working this poxy benefit, as it scraps about a third off the total amount of earnings the lowest paid earner can earn each month. Food banks wasn't brought up, its a disgrace to most British people that in one of the supposedly richest economies, British politics as it stands now, is a waste of time and money, which btw, the longer this whole charade carries on with Brussels, the more the taxpayer has to fork out. I feel really sorry for these people who have had to put up with it. Now Raab, had enough moral diversity to clarify his beliefs on all matters, but I do think that a concrete plan needs hard facts presented to the official juries. Gove talks total BS about matters of education, reformed academies, ask any parent, the power to exclude after three failed attendances and poor conduct is ever more potent, not the fact they are living and possibly even starving in poverty.
I work with young children, and I don't assume, I know, that some of these kids parents are too young and cant even afford a new pair of shoes for their growing children. So, how about reform some matters in the political economic underbelly currently being diverted to the rich,- down a fluorescent tunnelled escape route like HS2, and sort out the real scandals that is behind these schemes, in order to draw up a sensible and real extension to the task in hand.
Gove also believes that the jobs of today are not going to exist anymore, only in robotics, so goodbye manufacturers and warehouse workers, oh and cleaners of this dying sector of industry, because Project fear of (I.T Mechanical Robotics),will be the new solution to this currently unyielding trade ownership and follow up of pragmatic ideas this placid empirical state of affairs is showing. What about the car industry for young apprentices, and guaranteed employment that was promised, by Cameron's party, after their programmes have finished? What about steel apprentices, builders, plasterers, all manual traders who have a life to lead?
How about hiring a Jailhouse for all these rich scandalous M.Ps and their current affairs, that doesn't include a bailout arear system, unless it passes through parliaments doors. Get Bercow out and replace him with a much younger statesman, someone younger (and preferably wiser!).

Last edited by PearlsofWisdom on 19 Jun 2019, 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 3:39 pm

Al "Boris" Johnson looks set to become Prime Minister. It's regrettable, but is there really anybody better on offer?

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2019, 3:40 pm

^^ NO. Career politicians the lot of them. You only have to view their own parentage to see how far the apple falls.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 3:50 pm

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
^^ NO. Career politicians the lot of them. You only have to view their own parentage to see how far the apple falls.

It wasn't an endorsement. I can't stand Al Johnson or any of the other candidates. I really don't care who wins. I just want to see a General Election so that the Conservative Party can be got rid of altogether, and one will be called when Johnson fails to deliver Brexit in October.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2019, 3:55 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
PearlsofWisdom wrote:

It wasn't an endorsement. I can't stand Al Johnson or any of the other candidates. I really don't care who wins. I just want to see a General Election so that the Conservative Party can be got rid of altogether, and one will be called when Johnson fails to deliver Brexit in October.

Who's on better terms with the E.U to find out what's on offer or at stake then? The last thing will be a general election, as Labour have too many M.P'S, they would block Brexit from ever happening, just like they blocked most of the amendments going through, and they even tried to prevent a NO deal.
The Torries will stick together's on this one through every striking battle and declare victory, even if they happen to fall short of the original conviction. The law wasn't set up for fools, I hope they see adverse common sense enough to pave the way out of this doomed European union, once and for all.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jun 2019, 4:03 pm

If the Conservative Party really were to collapse - which seems unlikely to me - then would we get Prime Minister Corbyn or would the Lib Dems make enough gains to send Davey or Swinson to number 10?

Either way, if Johnson fails then that is final proof that Brexit is both very difficult and a very bad idea.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2019, 4:08 pm

@^^Which is obviously your own biased Opinion of democracy.

Last edited by PearlsofWisdom on 19 Jun 2019, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 4:09 pm

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
PearlsofWisdom wrote:

Who's on better terms with the E.U to find out what's on offer or at stake then? The last thing will be a general election, as Labour have too many M.P'S, they would block Brexit from ever happening, just like they blocked most of the amendments going through, and they even tried to prevent a NO deal.
The Torries will stick together's on this one through every striking battle and declare victory, even if they happen to fall short of the original conviction. The law wasn't set up for fools, I hope they see adverse common sense enough to pave the way out of this doomed European union, once and for all.

The Tories are pro-EU just as much as Labour - (who got us into the union?) If they're unified, it's against Brexit. Mr Stewart and Mr Gove have already stated they'll block a no-deal Brexit (just Brexit to you and me) and it's clear, from his secret meetings with Anthony Blair, where Johnson's loyalties are.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2019, 4:33 pm

^^ If Jeremy Corrbyn is your preferred favourite to snub the path of real change, then there really will be a black adder waiting in the wings, already the pitched fork is out on display for all the jury to see, so who do you back? You don't seem to have a political sway either way. You must have a democratic thought process on something.
I wouldn't like to be the one who sees more Tory austerity, and no government backing from either political parties.
Well, like fairy dust in the wind , there might just be one more hat trick. As for BJ, I think he needs to pluck the rabbit from his giant sized priministerial/ex mayor waistcoat pretty soon, or be prepared to swallow a Brexit Party digestion pill!