What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 31 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 41  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 8:13 am

JohnPowell wrote:
They said he was unelectable before the last election when he got the biggest rise in Labour votes since 1945

they said correctly then as he was not elected

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 8:28 am

JohnPowell wrote:
Trueno wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Removed? I'm sorry him being against bombing people bothers you.

That doesn't bother me at all. I have no problem with him as an individual. It's his leadership skills, and how Labour are doing with him in charge, that are the problems for me.

Yes... removed!

He is unelectable. The right-wing press have done a number on him and he has failed to counter it effectively. He has been in opposition against one of the most shambling and inept administrations ever (due to get more shambling and inept) and failed to take them to the cleaners. Regardless of the fact that he may be principled and a general good egg, he is perceived (or allowed himself to be perceived) as weak. Michael Foot was similar, if I remember correctly (but I don't always remember correctly).

Worse still, Boris is garnering support because he is holding this guy up as a bogeyman (like the 5 minute hate in "1984").

He will never be PM, but it will probably take a humiliating GE defeat to shift him.

Yeah great idea :roll:

They said he was unelectable before the last election when he got the biggest rise in Labour votes since 1945. Not bad since the government has been spending millions on fake stories about him (integrity initiative) and the Israel lobby wants him removed.

That was in large part due to a glaringly inept election campaign by the Tories. See also-

Quote:
The findings suggest Labour’s increase in vote share was largely a result of the party stockpiling support in seats it already held.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 40231.html

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 8:41 am

I think a pre brexit GE would be truly fascinating. As a one off It would take us from a 2 party system to 4 party system and give people more choice. It would be the likely 2 alliances/pacts would be what would add another level to it all though.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 9:55 am

'screw this up and our Phil will happily arrange for a little accident to happen....'

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 11:06 am

Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
They said he was unelectable before the last election when he got the biggest rise in Labour votes since 1945

It was a massive move forward and then he continued momentum to rise 5-6 points ahead in the polls before the fake smears started on steroids. Now he's stabbed millions of Labour voters in the back he could be in trouble.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 12:34 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

It was a massive move forward and then he continued momentum to rise 5-6 points ahead in the polls before the fake smears started on steroids. Now he's stabbed millions of Labour voters in the back he could be in trouble.

And was unelected, so 'they' were absolutely correct.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 1:24 pm

This shows Boris Johnson has no intention to even try and make the country more united.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 18616.html

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 3:50 pm

There will be some real charmers in his new cabinet. At least he got rid of Chris Grayling... maybe he should have kept him on as he even makes Boris look competent.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:06 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Unelectable means he couldn't possibly be elected. Being up in the polls and people then possibly seeing through the tripe means he is electable. He's been an elected MP for decades. It's funny when people believe the propaganda from war mongers who just want to see Corbyn removed.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:38 pm

Wanting Corbyn removed doesn't necessarily make a person a warmonger . The evidence clearly shows that Labour will struggle to win an election under Corbyn's leadership. He may be a good person , but he's ineffectual as a leader.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 2:06 am

JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Unelectable means he couldn't possibly be elected

and it was put to the test, and he wasn't elected, so 'they' were correct that he was unelectable.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 2:26 pm

Yeah nice trolling.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 3:11 pm

How Jo Swinson voted on Welfare and Benefits #

Almost always voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax")
Show votes
11 votes for, 1 vote against, 6 absences, between 2012–2018
Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices
Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, in 2013
Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability
Show votes
0 votes for, 7 votes against, between 2011–2012
Consistently voted for making local councils responsible for helping those in financial need afford their council tax and reducing the amount spent on such support
Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2012
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits
Show votes
26 votes for, 0 votes against, 5 absences, between 2012–2015
Almost always voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed
Show votes
0 votes for, 8 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2014

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11971 ... hire/votes

This is the new Lib Dem leader. An enemy of the disabled and poor.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 3:29 pm

I do not back or vote for any political party in the UK or anywhere else.
I hold humanitarian egalitarian values.

However, at the mo in the UK i think that PM Johnson is the right choice.
He is a stronger personality, has the experience and has the vision to take the UK political scene forward.
I think also his tom foolery, where traditionalists may see as his floor,
I think it entertains people, creates news and brings people's attention to the task at hand.
as lets face it, even the most studious boffin would fall a sleep watching most of political debates in our day and age.
I think this is because the world is now addicted to entertainment, and are used to a very fast pace of info.
So slow things down too much, and people switch off and switch over.

So we need a hybrid of a politician / clown / entertainer to wake people up. And I think that is what we have with Mr. Johnson.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 8:30 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2019, 12:32 pm

:lol: