What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 30 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 41  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 7:04 am

I'd feel more confident about a general election if Corbyn was removed. Boris's rise to PM shows that if you're of a certain class incompetency can still carry you far .

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 7:07 am

firemonkey wrote:
I'd feel more confident about a general election if Corbyn was removed. Boris's rise to PM shows that if you're of a certain class incompetency can still carry you far .

I can't fault your assessment.

It's all so unbelievably depressing.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 8:18 am

Brecon by-election coming up next Thursday too. Currently held by the Tories but the Lib Dems are going to push them hard and may well end up taking it

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 8:20 am

Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke charged with 3 counts of sexual assault
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-49072464

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 3:39 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 3:46 pm

It's spreading! 8O

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 4:12 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

When you put it so reasonably, who could disagree? :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 4:28 pm

Darmok wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

It'll be hypocritical if the Brits take the piss out of your Commander in Chief now :mrgreen:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 5:12 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Darmok wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

It'll be hypocritical if the Brits take the piss out of your Commander in Chief now :mrgreen:

So this time the British aren't going to bother coming? :lol:

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 5:44 pm

firemonkey wrote:

Removed? I'm sorry him being against bombing people bothers you.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 8:02 pm

My impression is that things have become such a shambles that whatever Mr Johnson does is bound to improve things. I honestly think that he is going to make quite a good leader. The first thing he needs to do though is to start making the press accountable for their biassed actions and reporting. Some are so biassed they need to be personally brought to trial because they have mnipulated the thoughts of a lot of people by not allowing both sides a fair chance of speaking. We need accountability.
We also have a chance to restore democracy back to the UK. Lets hope Borris can deliver!
Godspeed Borris. Go for it!

I will say that even the greatest primeminister needs the support right accross not only his own party, but other parties as well if he or she has a genuine good idea. I have avoided voting Labour in the past because they have blocked good ideas and not because they didn't like the idea, but because they dissliked the opposing party. To me that is criminal and I will never vote for criminals who will not repent of their crimes.

Each MP has vowed to stand in the best interests of the people they represent. There has been such a conflict of interest over Brexit where quite a few MP's should have stood down as they have either been pro EU supporters in an anti EU constituent area or they have been anti EU supporters in a pro EU area. My personal belief is one of "How can the MP's stand when their views are against the majority of their constituents? Brexit has exposed this. Our last primeminister was leading when she was in her heart a pro EU supporter. Yes she did her best, but she kept coming at the issues from the wrong angles and she did not understad the depths of feeling in the country, and hence why the deals could not be accepted.
In Britain we are a stubborn people who are willing to give up everything to gain our freedom. We have fought two world wars for this in the past and lost many lives in the process. We could have easily surrendered to Hitler and avoided WW2. Worked with him. The mass slaughters may have been avoided? BUT, we could not give up our freedom, so we had to fight. Britain needs to rule itself. Not because the UK does not like the EU. Why, we are closest friends. It is because the British people are very different in nature to the rest of the EU, and the EU laws and rules are stifling us soo much. They may work well for EU countries, but are impractical for the UK. We need our cou try back. We need to define our future for ourselves. The Brexit deal would have tied us in to EU laws and rules for eternity.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 2:03 am

3rd Prime Minister in 4 years

strong & stable

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 4:41 am

JohnPowell wrote:

That doesn't bother me at all. I have no problem with him as an individual. It's his leadership skills, and how Labour are doing with him in charge, that are the problems for me.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:40 am

firemonkey wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

That doesn't bother me at all. I have no problem with him as an individual. It's his leadership skills, and how Labour are doing with him in charge, that are the problems for me.

Yes... removed!

He is unelectable. The right-wing press have done a number on him and he has failed to counter it effectively. He has been in opposition against one of the most shambling and inept administrations ever (due to get more shambling and inept) and failed to take them to the cleaners. Regardless of the fact that he may be principled and a general good egg, he is perceived (or allowed himself to be perceived) as weak. Michael Foot was similar, if I remember correctly (but I don't always remember correctly).

Worse still, Boris is garnering support because he is holding this guy up as a bogeyman (like the 5 minute hate in "1984").

He will never be PM, but it will probably take a humiliating GE defeat to shift him.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:44 am

Let’s hope Boris Johnson doesn’t become another Donald Trump.

I fear there’s too much of a physical resemblance already.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 7:23 am

Trueno wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Yes... removed!

He is unelectable. The right-wing press have done a number on him and he has failed to counter it effectively. He has been in opposition against one of the most shambling and inept administrations ever (due to get more shambling and inept) and failed to take them to the cleaners. Regardless of the fact that he may be principled and a general good egg, he is perceived (or allowed himself to be perceived) as weak. Michael Foot was similar, if I remember correctly (but I don't always remember correctly).

Worse still, Boris is garnering support because he is holding this guy up as a bogeyman (like the 5 minute hate in "1984").

He will never be PM, but it will probably take a humiliating GE defeat to shift him.

Yeah great idea :roll:

They said he was unelectable before the last election when he got the biggest rise in Labour votes since 1945. Not bad since the government has been spending millions on fake stories about him (integrity initiative) and the Israel lobby wants him removed.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"