What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 26 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 41  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jun 2019, 5:18 pm

That is true. However, PPR rules prevent attacking people based on their political affiliations.

Quote:
While it is acceptable to attack and debate beliefs (political, religious etc) it is not acceptable to make generalised attacks on the adherents of those beliefs. It is acceptable to say that Republicanism, Liberalism, Christianity, Islam are stupid but not acceptable to make generalised attacks saying that Republicans, Liberals, Christians or Muslims are morons. You could say that some of these people are stupid because of (reason) but not make generalised attacks on groups of people. Similarly you could not say "Christians are morons" or "Muslims are terrorists" or "People on welfare are bums". Confine your attacks to the beliefs and politics, not the people holding them. The one exception to this is public figures themselves – by the very nature of their roles they are personally open to criticism.

You could say "if you care strongly about Brexit then it is stupid to vote Labour or Tory" for example, but not "Labour or Tory voters are stupid".

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 6:31 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
That is true. However, PPR rules prevent attacking people based on their political affiliations.
Quote:
While it is acceptable to attack and debate beliefs (political, religious etc) it is not acceptable to make generalised attacks on the adherents of those beliefs. It is acceptable to say that Republicanism, Liberalism, Christianity, Islam are stupid but not acceptable to make generalised attacks saying that Republicans, Liberals, Christians or Muslims are morons. You could say that some of these people are stupid because of (reason) but not make generalised attacks on groups of people. Similarly you could not say "Christians are morons" or "Muslims are terrorists" or "People on welfare are bums". Confine your attacks to the beliefs and politics, not the people holding them. The one exception to this is public figures themselves – by the very nature of their roles they are personally open to criticism.

You could say "if you care strongly about Brexit then it is stupid to vote Labour or Tory" for example, but not "Labour or Tory voters are stupid".

These rules seem to conflict with the rules on the other forum.
But ok, point taken.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 10:43 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

uspe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jun 2019, 8:57 am

i cant believe corbyn is not going with remain.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 9:29 am

he is still just doing the fence sitting thing to get as many on side as possible

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 11:55 am

uspe wrote:

Eh?

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 5:49 am

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 7:06 am

uspe wrote:

He's a pre-neoliberal left winger. They were always against joining the EU and remain against it, viewing the project as a "capitalist plot". His planned nationalise and redistribute bonanza will eventually butt heads with the single market's competition regulations and tax code harmonisation plans, if not immediately then later.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 3:40 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Good find :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 5:59 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Good find :lol:

It's paraphrased but still on Boris's blog :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 8:19 pm

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 1:04 am

Lol :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 4:08 am

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 5:25 am

I have learnt that often we may judge others without walking in their shoes. I have learnt that people do their best in whatever their lifes experiences habe taken them. I have learnt that not all our lives have headed in the best direction but while we believe we aee on the right direction we need to keep going until God steers us on another tack. I have learnt that though I may disslike peoples beliefs in politics, religion or anything else, that I still need to value them as individuals, as God has made them, and who knows. God could be using them to correct me when I go wrong, and comfort me when I need comfort, and give advice from another angle which I may not have considered.
One thing in life that I have always dissagreed on is a saying in Wales and I believe in UK also is "Never discuss religion and politics if you want to get on well in life". No other statement have I heard that I dissagree with more, as thinking like this has erroded democracy in the UK and given us slave like laws which had we discussed religion and politics openly, we may not always agree (And one thing we need to remember is that to promote true freedom we need to defend the rights to all free speech regardless of its context and only act when someone has decided to go beyond speech in a physical violent way)... But we need to concentrate now to get free speech back, as it has been the backbone which has in the past made Britain great and without it, Britain has collapsed.
(I would say that other countries need the same).

For the UK, my thoughts tare that having a hard brexit maybe the only way to return the freedom of speech which in the past has taken generations of fighting and wars to create.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 1:07 pm

First round:

• Boris Johnson 114
• Jeremy Hunt 43
• Michael Gove 37
• Dominic Raab 27
• Sajid Javid 23
• Matt Hancock 20
• Rory Stewart 19

Pleasantly surprised Stewart got through. Looks like a foregone conclusion by those numbers, the person out in front after round 1 the last 2 times both went on to lose though.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2019, 3:20 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Anyone who voted for Labour or the Tories are dumb beyond words.

Personally, and I speak for all past and some non existing front runners, I agree.