What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 36 of 41 [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 41  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,949
Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper

07 Sep 2019, 6:10 am

I saw this on another forum and asked permission to share.

Oxford University researchers have discovered the densest element yet known to science.
The new element, Governmentium (symbol=Gv), has one neutron, 25 assistant neutrons, 88 deputy neutrons and 198 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312.
These 312 particles are held together by forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called pillocks.
Since Governmentium has no electrons, it is inert. However, it can be detected, because it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact.
A tiny amount of Governmentium can cause a reaction that would normally take less than a second, to take from 4 days to 4 years to complete.
Governmentium has a normal half-life of 2 to 6 years.
It does not decay, but instead undergoes a reorganisation in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places.
In fact, Governmentium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganisation will cause more morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes.
This characteristic of moron promotion leads some scientists to believe that Governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a critical concentration.
This hypothetical quantity is referred to as a critical morass.
When catalysed with money, Governmentium becomes Administratium (symbol=Ad), an element that radiates just as much energy as Governmentium, since it has half as many pillocks but twice as many morons.


_________________
Awaiting asessment. Neurodiverse 173/200. Neurotypical 21/200. Empathy 11/80. AQ 39. https://everything2.com/user/Zifendorf/ ... s/shutdown

Buton A Button B


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

07 Sep 2019, 6:27 pm


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

07 Sep 2019, 7:54 pm


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"


climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 36
Location: NE England

08 Sep 2019, 1:16 am

Sad times for democracy.

Whatever the merits or otherwise of Brexit, it remains a fact that parliament has set out to frustrate the expressed will of the people. This can’t be a good thing.

The very foundation of a democratic system is that the decisions made by the voters are respected by those who have been elected as their representatives.

Please – no posts about how the referendum result was the result of Leave lies [what about Remain lies?], or how 17.4 million people were too old, too stupid or too racist for their opinions to matter.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

08 Sep 2019, 1:56 am

climber9 wrote:
Sad times for democracy.

Whatever the merits or otherwise of Brexit, it remains a fact that parliament has set out to frustrate the expressed will of the people. This can’t be a good thing.

The very foundation of a democratic system is that the decisions made by the voters are respected by those who have been elected as their representatives


The difficulty they have is that people voted for different things. There is no one Brexit. As soon as you go down one brexit path then you anger other Leavers as it is not what they voted for.

A binary vote on a non binary issue was always going to be very complex but our leading politicians have bickerered and argued among themselves, which has not exactly helped.



climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 36
Location: NE England

08 Sep 2019, 3:58 am

The vote was to leave. Any further discussion should have been about HOW this was to be accomplished, not whether it should be.

But a significant number of the political elite refused to accept the referendum result from day one. And even those who claimed to respect the vote [Jeremy Corbyn, I’m looking at you!] have engineered a situation where parliament won’t approve a deal and won’t allow a WTO [‘no deal’] exit.

Presumably the strategy is to prolong things until a combination of public exhaustion and the continuing onslaught of Project Fear derails Brexit completely.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

08 Sep 2019, 4:15 am

I think they have found themselves in a situation where what they promised is undeliverable, and what is deliverable is undesired by the majority.

I am sure many twists and turns are to come though, all of which will very likely lead us closer and closer to a GE.



firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,471
Location: Calne,England

08 Sep 2019, 4:35 am

I think the issue for many is the prospect of 'No deal'. Clear that away and a lot less people will be willing to thwart the democratic will of the people to leave .


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 36
Location: NE England

08 Sep 2019, 5:08 am

Difficult to see how that would work. The remainer MP’s who dominate parliament are never going to approve any deal on principle, forcing the choice to become one between no Brexit and the so-called ‘no deal’ which has been so demonised that supporting it is about as socially acceptable as supporting Harvey Weinstein.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

08 Sep 2019, 5:21 am

climber9 wrote:
Difficult to see how that would work. The remainer MP’s who dominate parliament are never going to approve any deal on principle


Apart from the ones who repeatedly voted for us to leave via the WA?



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,949
Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper

08 Sep 2019, 5:27 am

Please be aware that this is my take on this. I may not always be 100% correct. But it is from my understanding that I write.

The big issue here is a general election result could mean years and years of delay, and this is why many MP's tried to force it through. And if we get another party in (Which is likely, and likely to be Labour), we are likely to head straight back fully into the EU against the will of the majority of the people who origionally voted for Brexit.
We should not focus on deals as a priority but on leaving the EU because that is what the majority of the people voted for. If we don't get it, then we can give up on democracy now. It is not sustainable. We need a dictatorship (Which ironically is what the EU is, as the head of the EU is a non elected member position).
Here are some thoughts.

The Magna Carter used to be taught in a school history lesson as a matter of priority prior to the GCSE's coming in because they wanted to drum in the reasons it came in in the first place. One of these reasons was that parts of Britain had been peeviously ruled from many different tribes who didn't even live in these shores and so the rules hardly related to the people living here that for those living under these rules life became difficult. The Magna Carter set out one very important rule which can be called on today and still stands today. Britain has to be governed from within these shores. The EU made a way around this by sending laws to the UK parliament, and the UK parliament had to decide to accept or reject them. The EU is not allowed to impose a law onto the UK people and bypass this chain of command as anyone can then reject such a law as it was not debated and accepted from within these shores.

A second point to note is this. As people living in the UK, we have a democratic system. If those who have been voting in stand against the democratic vote of the people, the people legally have the power and rights to remove those people, be it by force or whatever method is necesary, and then force in their own new parliament system to carry out the will of the people. This has been done in the past where kings have been overthrown because they did not take the people under their rule in regard, as in Britain, a king used to stand before God to govern the land for the benefit of the people. It is the fundamental reason wht those who started democracy many years ago were able to overthrow the king, as the king had lost touch with the people, and the result was the setting up of parliament in the first place.

When people voted not to be part of the EU (The vote was never to leave the EU as officially the public has never collectively had a vote which had a result to join the EU so Labour took us in illegally in the first place (So in effect any UK citizen can say "No" to any EU imposed laws if it can be proved they came from the EU in the first place). Brexit was origionally planned to be an excuse to legally take us into the EU as legally, we could not go fully in until the British people voted that way. When the British peoples vote said "No" there was a huge dilemma as the MP's plan backfired.

The whole political system should have been reformed after the Brexit vote and here is why.

1. We had all the major parties split into EU or Brexiteer voters. Very few parties had a definate pro or anti EU policy. So the Conservitives and Labour and several other parties needed to stand down, reform and then stand back up to the challenge... There should then have been a general election there and then but only for the Brexit inclined parties and here is why. Brexit has already been voted on (An all party election should then take place AFTER we leave the EU and NOT before as to do this before means democracy has been bypassed. Yes, at a later date another vote can be allowed to see if the public thinks differently. Of course. That is what democracy is all about. But NOT before the results of the last vote has been carried out. This maybe painful for some, but it is a democratic principle. Errode this and you have a dictatorship).
2. We ended up with a democratic mess. We had MP's who stood for their areas where the individual MP's vote were based on their personal feelings of being pro or anti EU, but the people they stood for in their own areas often had a majority which went the opposite way. (It is why there should have been a total reformingnof all political parties straight after the Brexit vote where most parties should have been split into new parties with new constitutions so that this current mess could have been avoided).
3. Deal or no deal. Never did the British public vote for a deal or a no deal situation. They voted for Brexit. Trade continues be there a eeal or no deal. If youu as an individual wanted to but a BMW car, you could go to Germany and buy one and bringnit back to the UK, be there a deal or no deal. You could even get them to send it here. No laws broken be it deal or no deal.
The deals. What are they? Simple. If there was no deal, big businesses would no longer have access to grants which they get from the UK taxpayers... These grants were set up so big businesses who had the extra expense to paynout shareholdres, could compete with the small self employed people doing the same thing. The problem with this is the big buisnesses, due to these grants could be earning a few thousand percent profit, and due to all the shareholdres they need to pay, they maybe struggling. The small sole trader businesses were typically on 25 to 50% profits. However, due to the grants, many, many small businesses who didn't qualify ended up collapsing.
VAT used to be a way to even out pricss on those big businesses who bought in bulk and had a massive advantage. VAT is not actually a bill or an expense on a business as VAT isn't paid for by the business. VAT is simply collecting a tax directly from the customer and passing it to the government. VAT is not taxing a business whatsoever. Businesses can claim portions of this tax for investing in their own business... NOT to increase profits in a direct way.
If we leave without a deal who suffers? Shareholders! Businesses who are not on stock markets carry on regardless. Limited companies may be hit hard, and the stock market is likely to suffer.
The UK's number one profitable industry is the stock market. This is why, to MP's, a deal is a must. As they, and many other people such as the news industries etc, will be ard hit if we have a no deal Brexit... Hence the TV news programms are doing all they can to manipulate the public into thinking a deal is neccessary for the country. The TV news companies are incredibly biassed for their own survival. Even the MP's themselves may have invested their hard earned money into shares.
The big issue is that the stock market is so fragile anyway, that it could come crashing down regardless of deal or no deal as the whole set up is inclined to implode. If one can see parpttersn of how structures work you wil see this, and understand why recessios come and go in ever increasing waves until finally total disaster comes. It is like a car and trailor or caravan snaking out of control if an unskilled owner has loaded up the caravan or trailer incorrectly. First it starts to wobble, then a little more, and more and if no intelligent action is impliamented at the right moment... Disaster!


_________________
Awaiting asessment. Neurodiverse 173/200. Neurotypical 21/200. Empathy 11/80. AQ 39. https://everything2.com/user/Zifendorf/ ... s/shutdown

Buton A Button B


JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

08 Sep 2019, 5:39 am

Biscuitman wrote:
climber9 wrote:
Difficult to see how that would work. The remainer MP’s who dominate parliament are never going to approve any deal on principle


Apart from the ones who repeatedly voted for us to leave via the WA?


:roll: Yawn.

The house voted to trigger Article 50 so had already agreed to leave on the 29th of March with or without a deal. That was made clear during the referendum campaign too, so stop repeating lies and propaganda. The May treaty was voted down because it didn't honour the referendum or the Conservative manifesto.


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"


Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

08 Sep 2019, 5:44 am

JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
climber9 wrote:
Difficult to see how that would work. The remainer MP’s who dominate parliament are never going to approve any deal on principle


Apart from the ones who repeatedly voted for us to leave via the WA?


:roll: Yawn.


You not liking it doesn't mean others didn't have to not like it.

It was a response to Climber9 who said remain MP's would not agree to 'any deal', when in fact they already had, some of them 3 times. no matter how much you claim it meant we were not leaving, it's a fact that the WA meant we were



climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 36
Location: NE England

08 Sep 2019, 9:52 am

I’m sure that there is a small number of democracy-respecting Remain MP’s who voted for the WA. But the Remain camp is dominated by dyed-in-the-wool Europhiles who will never vote for any agreement which takes us out of the EU.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that a General Election is likely to help. GE’s are fought on a range of issues, of which Brexit is only one. Domestic issues are just that – domestic. How should we, as a country, deal with issues X, Y and Z? Brexit is a fundamentally different type of issue. It is about whether the idea of ‘as a country’ continues to have any real meaning, or whether we become part of a greater organisation, a ‘United States of Europe’.

A further problem with a GE is, of course, our weird electoral system. In 2014 UKIP got 12.6% of the popular vote and got one MP. The SNP got 8.6% of the vote and 56 MP’s. The system penalises those whose support is spread out across the country. The Brexit Party is likely to come second or third in almost every constituency yet be virtually unrepresented in parliament.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

08 Sep 2019, 9:59 am

climber9 wrote:
I’m sure that there is a small number of democracy-respecting Remain MP’s who voted for the WA. But the Remain camp is dominated by dyed-in-the-wool Europhiles who will never vote for any agreement which takes us out of the EU


So many remain voting MP's voted for MV3 that it only required the ERG to back it and it would have gone through. Some of the arch leavers of that group voted against their govt though and so here we now are.



JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

08 Sep 2019, 11:06 am

Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
climber9 wrote:
Difficult to see how that would work. The remainer MP’s who dominate parliament are never going to approve any deal on principle


Apart from the ones who repeatedly voted for us to leave via the WA?


:roll: Yawn.


You not liking it doesn't mean others didn't have to not like it.

It was a response to Climber9 who said remain MP's would not agree to 'any deal', when in fact they already had, some of them 3 times. no matter how much you claim it meant we were not leaving, it's a fact that the WA meant we were


It wasn't a deal, it was just a different version of staying in the EU. Mine aren't claims, they are facts. Only in name, so again stop repeating lies and propaganda.


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"