What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 40 of 41 [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 36
Location: NE England

12 Sep 2020, 7:23 am

Firstly, some EU states break the law on a daily basis and no fuss is made. There are statutes covering the transport of live animals. It is well known that these are almost universally ignored in France.

Secondly, if international law says that we have to continue down the path to a United States of Europe, despite the repeated and clearly-expressed opposition of the British people, then perhaps international law ought to be broken.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

16 Sep 2020, 10:33 am

I thought of posting in news but decided it wasn't important enough for a full article,no offense to Barbados intended.

London REUTERS

Barbados has said it will remove Queen Elizabeth as head of state and become a republic. After gaining independence in 1966 it's stayed connected with the UK like so many other former colony's did.

Buckingham palace had no comment other than to say it is an issue for the citizens of Barbados.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined
WrongPlanet is rancid,goodbye forever


climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 36
Location: NE England

16 Sep 2020, 10:44 am

If the Remainers get their way we’ll have Frau von der Leyen [or her successor] as head of state anyway!



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

16 Sep 2020, 10:55 am

I wanted to clarify something.When I post News stories,ones from the US get a lot of responses.When I posted on the unrest in Belarus it didn't get much response.Or other non american posts have not gotten responses.

So maybe it's better to post UK stories here.

I did not mean to say Barbados is a unimportant or trivial place.I apologize for not explaining better.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined
WrongPlanet is rancid,goodbye forever


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,390
Location: Reading, England

16 Sep 2020, 1:51 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
I wanted to clarify something.When I post News stories,ones from the US get a lot of responses.When I posted on the unrest in Belarus it didn't get much response.Or other non american posts have not gotten responses.

So maybe it's better to post UK stories here.

I did not mean to say Barbados is a unimportant or trivial place.I apologize for not explaining better.

Barbados is not part of the United Kingdom any more than Canada is. You may be thinking of Bermuda, which is a British Overseas Territory although technically not part of the UK.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

16 Sep 2020, 2:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
I wanted to clarify something.When I post News stories,ones from the US get a lot of responses.When I posted on the unrest in Belarus it didn't get much response.Or other non american posts have not gotten responses.

So maybe it's better to post UK stories here.

I did not mean to say Barbados is a unimportant or trivial place.I apologize for not explaining better.

Barbados is not part of the United Kingdom any more than Canada is. You may be thinking of Bermuda, which is a British Overseas Territory although technically not part of the UK.


I know Barbados has had independence since 1966 but until today the official head of state is Queen Elizabeth II

Did you read the post I made above via Reuters

Barbados removed QE2 as there official head of state and is now a republic.

Canada is not part of the UK but Queen Elizabeth is there head of state at lest symbolically.

Many countries not part of the UK have your Queen as there technical head of state but no longer Barbados,they are now a republic.

Please read my previous post or the Reuters article.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined
WrongPlanet is rancid,goodbye forever


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,390
Location: Reading, England

16 Sep 2020, 2:05 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
I wanted to clarify something.When I post News stories,ones from the US get a lot of responses.When I posted on the unrest in Belarus it didn't get much response.Or other non american posts have not gotten responses.

So maybe it's better to post UK stories here.

I did not mean to say Barbados is a unimportant or trivial place.I apologize for not explaining better.

Barbados is not part of the United Kingdom any more than Canada is. You may be thinking of Bermuda, which is a British Overseas Territory although technically not part of the UK.


I know Barbados has had independence since 1966 but until today the official head of state is Queen Elizabeth II

Did you read the post I made above via Reuters

Barbados removed QE2 as there official head of state and is now a republic.

Canada is not part of the UK but Queen Elizabeth is there head of state at lest symbolically.

Many countries not part of the UK have your Queen as there technical head of state but no longer Barbados,they are now a republic.

Please read my previous post or the Reuters article.

Yes, of course I read the article (or rather I had already read the story elsewhere). Indeed, I note that Barbados is not yet a republic, but has merely announced an intention to become one before the anniversary of independence next year. My point is that this has nothing to do with the UK, so it is an odd choice to post it in this thread.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

16 Sep 2020, 2:08 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
I wanted to clarify something.When I post News stories,ones from the US get a lot of responses.When I posted on the unrest in Belarus it didn't get much response.Or other non american posts have not gotten responses.

So maybe it's better to post UK stories here.

I did not mean to say Barbados is a unimportant or trivial place.I apologize for not explaining better.

Barbados is not part of the United Kingdom any more than Canada is. You may be thinking of Bermuda, which is a British Overseas Territory although technically not part of the UK.


I know Barbados has had independence since 1966 but until today the official head of state is Queen Elizabeth II

Did you read the post I made above via Reuters

Barbados removed QE2 as there official head of state and is now a republic.

Canada is not part of the UK but Queen Elizabeth is there head of state at lest symbolically.

Many countries not part of the UK have your Queen as there technical head of state but no longer Barbados,they are now a republic.

Please read my previous post or the Reuters article.

Yes, of course I read the article (or rather I had already read the story elsewhere). Indeed, I note that Barbados is not yet a republic, but has merely announced an intention to become one before the anniversary of independence next year. My point is that this has nothing to do with the UK, so it is an odd choice to post it in this thread.
Because they removed Queen Elizabeth II as there head of state,so that's the connection to the UK.

The last time I posted an British news story on the News only biscuitman responded,so I thought I'd get better response here,sorry won't post news on this thread again,my bad,only American news stories ever get a response on News forum.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined
WrongPlanet is rancid,goodbye forever


madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 929
Location: Jersey UK

16 Sep 2020, 8:05 pm

Last week (if i remember correctly), the UK passed a trade deal on principle with Japan.
Which is very positive for the UK, now that the UK is no longer part of the EU, and so is
no longer included in any of the EU trade deals.

Apparently, this new trade deal concerns mostly exports from the UK, as most the trade
will be UK exporting to Japan.

Although, with Japan being strong in various industries such as tech, cars etc. The UK could
also really benefit from imports too.

I believe that the main part of the trade deal is to offer 0 tax on exports to Japan.
Which certainly will be good for UK businesses. The Japanese are known to like
some of the UK produce, such as Whiskey etc.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

01 Oct 2020, 3:53 pm

As predicted by absolutely everyone, the EU has now started legal proceedings against the UK over the IM Bill which overrides the terms the UK has just signed up to in the WA



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

15 Oct 2020, 8:20 am

A review of the Conservatives over the past week
https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1316711661600935936



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

09 Nov 2020, 9:29 am

Another U-Turn by Johnson over the weekend, after weeks of him and his top MP's publicly stating they won't, on feeding hungry children.

Internal Market Bill up for debate in the House of Lords today where it is tipped to be rejected due to the lines in it that he added which mean we are stating that the UK Govt wants to break international law



Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,343
Location: Wiltshire, U.K.

09 Nov 2020, 9:43 am

I like the fact that the children will be fed and appreciate the u-turn, but can't help thinking it is to distract from other indiscretions and not really a benevolent gesture from the heart.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

09 Nov 2020, 10:21 am

Temeraire wrote:
I like the fact that the children will be fed and appreciate the u-turn, but can't help thinking it is to distract from other indiscretions and not really a benevolent gesture from the heart.


Agree on that. Ultimately they ended up making the right decision which is good, but with all the u-turns, the scandals, the public pressure etc you can't help but feel in the end it was something they really didn't want to do it and just weighed up how they can use this to cover up the noise from other stories



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

09 Nov 2020, 11:02 am

from the other thread:

Temeraire wrote:
What is happening is way beyond his abilities.

I wonder who who would be able to bring us through these difficult times?

Could Kier bring us more security and hope?


I am not his biggest fan but I certainly think he is a safer pair of hands, just look at his call (along with the scientists) for the short lockdown a few weeks ago which was to make sure we didn't need a lengthy one. johnson publicly ridiculed him for it and said it would cause harm......then u-turned on it when it was too late and we now have a 4 week (maybe longer) lockdown.