Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 5:23 am

I was listening to this last night. He's an interesting thinker and seems to have a lot of interest in Spinoza, Russell, etc.. A lot of this lecture includes critiques of 'new atheism' which he finds parochial and somewhat uniquely 20th century American-locked in it's perspective and aims.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 8:45 am

One of many really interesting < 10 min shorts on Youtube with him analyzing sociology and politics:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 9:00 am

15 min of an interview on The Silence of Animals:

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 10:32 am

Wonderful stuff!
Fits perfectly into what I've been pondering for the past month or so.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 6:26 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 8:42 pm

Another long-player interview from 2014 (50 minutes). What he's saying early on, he never bought the 'end of history' narrative but rather considered the end of the cold war the resumption or return to traditional historic cycles.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2018, 10:07 am

This is assuming, in my opinion quite inaccurately, that Atheism is an active movement. Some may consider themselves dormant, others entirely detached from the strain of social evolution, then there's militant atheists and the like, the kind that kill for their cause. I personally agree, unlike how I used to vehemently disagree several years ago, that atheism can be a damning ideology used as a tool to justify killings.

However, I think to see atheism as an idea that all people use as an active component to propagate political beliefs and principles is far fetched, and whilst I haven't yet watched the video I believe that it's far larger than any one person can accurately explain, organise, dissect and analyse in what I'm just going to assume is what happens in this video.

In other words, it's a complicated concept that sort of assimilates itself with all kinds of other ideas but doesn't in itself exist as a self containing idea. For example, secularism is not necessarily swayed by being atheist or theist, it relies on your political views. However, one overly pious or antitheist may also have their mind changed by these beliefs.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 10:29 am

I think a lot of Non-Theist or Non-Religious people or Secularists accept the term rather than waste time arguing over minor points, especially if they have a lot of common ground with others who happen to be Anti-Theist such as the late Christopher Hitchens.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 11:05 am

TBH the thread title might be misleading by this point (ie. just the name of the first video). I'm really posting a lot of these videos because I like his quality of thought across a broad spectrum of concepts. I can see where if one were to jump in on the titles and not watch the video it would be pretty confusing.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 12:14 am