Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:29 am

I've noticed that if I say something (some statement, some insight, something that I believe in) I am regarded as a s**t, a nobody.

But if I quote the same saying by a high ranking person and I say "I agree with [insert high-ranking person] that's a totally different thing, and people are more nice to me.

Why are people evil conformists?

Why can't I say anything without being regarded as an idiot, unless I quote a high ranking individual to support my case?

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 21 Aug 2018, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:31 am

They annoy me, too....

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
They annoy me, too....

Why don't we outlaw such attitudes?

Last edited by The_Walrus on 23 Aug 2018, 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.: request

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2018, 9:34 am

I've had that problem all my life. I would say something that for me is very logical and others would frown upon. Later, those same people would hear that same something from TV, newspaper or whatever and find that it makes perfect sense.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:35 am

MagicKnight wrote:
I've had that problem all my life. I would say something that for me is very logical and others would frown upon. Later, those same people would hear that same something from TV, newspaper or whatever and find that it makes perfect sense.

Such people are trash people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:44 am

"Individuality is fine, as long as we all do it together." -- Larry Linville, as Frank Burns, on the TV series M*A*S*H.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:46 am

Fnord wrote:
"Individuality is fine, as long as we all do it together." -- Larry Linville, as Frank Burns, on the TV series M*A*S*H.

Whoever said so is an idiot, a nobody.

Conformists should at least be deprived the right to vote.

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 21 Aug 2018, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:47 am

I don't find it's wrong to cooperate with others----but only if the "others" show enough flexibilty to appreciate your uniqueness.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't find it's wrong to cooperate with others----but only if the "others" show enough flexibilty to appreciate your uniqueness.

I agree. Cooporation does not neccessarily imply conformity. Conformity is when you leave your own thoughts and beleifs in favor of the community and to be in the social in-group.

That is evil. It should be prohibited.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:53 am

It would depend upon what the "community" stood for.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:58 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Whoever said so is an idiot, a ret*d nobody...
You're too young to remember M*A*S*H, amiright? It was a television series that featured actors portraying fictional characters.
thinkinginpictures wrote:
Conformists should at least be deprived the right to vote.
Punishing conformity will not make it go away.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 10:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It would depend upon what the "community" stood for.

Sure, but the community's beliefs should not be making my beliefs.
I have my beliefs, and if it happens to correlate fine with the beliefs of the community, that's all fine.

However, if I adjusted my beliefs to fit that of the community, for the sake of the community, that would be evil.

However I would be in favor of adjusting my speeches of my beliefs to fit the community, because of fear of serious consequences if I don't. But that is different because I haven't adjusted my beliefs. Only what I say in public.

I have my beliefs, and they can be changed/adjusted, but I need to convince myself that the new belief is right. I need good arguments for a change in beliefs.

To have a certain belief/opinion without subject to change if evidence (scientific evidence) or good arguments are in favor of change in opinion, would be stupid, and evil.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 10:07 am

If your beliefs are the same as even one other person, then the two of you are conformists.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique; just like everyone else.

:lol:

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 10:13 am

Fnord wrote:
If your beliefs are the same as even one other person, then the two of you are conformists.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique; just like everyone else.

The crucial part, as I already explained in my comment, is that I am not adjusting my beliefs IN ORDER to fit that of the other person.

We just happens to share the same beliefs regardless. There may be a correlation, but no causation.

Hence no conformity.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 10:14 am

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 10:16 am

Fnord wrote:

Yes, that's evil. The punks, in this example, are evil.