Page 3 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 457
Location: England

08 Sep 2018, 8:52 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Mythos wrote:
The interesting thing about conspiracy theories is that sometimes they may turn out to be true.

For example, when Sergei and Julia Skripal were poisoned, people may have been called crazy for assuming it was a genuine attack from Russia on British soil. Crazy until it turns out to be true.

I mean, that was more the other way around. It was obvious and widely accepted from the off that the Russian state was behind the attack. The conspiracy theorists were the Corbyns of the world who thought that, despite the overwhelming evidence, we could only blame Putin for it if he actually confessed.
Therein lies the problem, I suppose. I think people could argue what constitutes conspiracy theories as much as any other aspect of politics.



techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,341
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

08 Sep 2018, 9:21 am

Speaking of the more spying, espionage, and false flag type stuff - I'm not quite convinced that people either believe or disbelieve these things for rational reasons unless it's rational allegiance to what they want to believe about the world. What I tend to observe is that most people are just made of really crooked timber and have fundamental allegiences to ideas, beliefs, etc. based on their current stack of beliefs. No matter how true a thing is or how good the evidence is a person will likely ignore it or roundly deny it if it goes counter-narrative to their beliefs and yet they'd buy into something hook, line, and sinker if it's on sketchy evidence but it edifies their deeply held beliefs.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,515
Location: Adelaide, Australia

08 Sep 2018, 10:17 am

^ People believe things when those things are consistent with their existing beliefs. If their existing beliefs are wrong, they may reject true beliefs that are inconsistent with their existing beliefs and accept false beliefs that are consistent with their (also false) existing beliefs.

It could happen to me, you or anyone.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

08 Sep 2018, 11:40 am

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
Mythos wrote:
The interesting thing about conspiracy theories is that sometimes they may turn out to be true.

For example, when Sergei and Julia Skripal were poisoned, people may have been called crazy for assuming it was a genuine attack from Russia on British soil. Crazy until it turns out to be true.

These are what I like to call "low level" conspiracy theories; we can connect the dots and still feel like it is somewhat a solid concept.



The thing to remember, is that what was once deemed as being as conspiracy, turns out to be Russian ex military spies all along, so it is true.
What I can't understand, is how the British Intelligence, weren't able to spot the antics of these train spotting carriage (or potential carnage) evaders and bring them to justice before a court in time for their next appearance?
If and when they get extradited back here, will be another matter entirely.
Look at Westminster, and what happened there. A 29 year old Somalian, who looked more like 14, (so they'd better get that passport looked at,) got away with mounting the pavement and injuring passengers off the roadside.
As a result, the government may be forced to stop all oncoming traffic through the area. Just because of one refugee.


How do you know it was ex Russian spies?


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"


JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

08 Sep 2018, 11:46 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

No this meant to be a list of conspiracy theories, not a list of conspiracies.


I know. I was making a point to the guy who started the thread that was obviously aimed at me as he said "speak of the devil" when I posted.


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"


JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

08 Sep 2018, 11:48 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
^ People believe things when those things are consistent with their existing beliefs. If their existing beliefs are wrong, they may reject true beliefs that are inconsistent with their existing beliefs and accept false beliefs that are consistent with their (also false) existing beliefs.

It could happen to me, you or anyone.


That's why you get the people on one side of the coin who believe everything their TV tells them and on the other side they believe everything they see/hear on Infowars.


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,341
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

08 Sep 2018, 2:39 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
^ People believe things when those things are consistent with their existing beliefs. If their existing beliefs are wrong, they may reject true beliefs that are inconsistent with their existing beliefs and accept false beliefs that are consistent with their (also false) existing beliefs.

It could happen to me, you or anyone.

That's the point of actually doing legwork to figure things out. It can happen to anyone, some choose to stay there others choose to double-check things especially if they hit all the right buttons or land a giant slab of red meat on their plate.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,178
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

08 Sep 2018, 2:52 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Did I omit anything?

We never went to the moon
Global warming is a plot to bring down capitalism
Jewish bankers secretly ruling the world
The United Nations is run by Satan
The chemicals in the water turning the frogs gay
Dogs and cats living together

To be fair, chemicals do screw up with hormones; which is a major problem bringing sexual malformations in water living animals, and may be why men sperm quality is in decline since decades. Not that it's a conspiracy, just our industrial civilization poisoning everything as byproducts while working for our comforts and making profits.



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,219
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

08 Sep 2018, 3:03 pm

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
If and when they get extradited back here, will be another matter entirely


Don't believe Russia has an extradition treaty with any other country. Now they are back in Russia its likely these people will simply never be seen of heard of again.



JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

08 Sep 2018, 5:00 pm

We gave their fingerprints. You'd think we'd wanna find out who they are.


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"


RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,515
Location: Adelaide, Australia

09 Sep 2018, 3:58 am

Tollorin wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Did I omit anything?

We never went to the moon
Global warming is a plot to bring down capitalism
Jewish bankers secretly ruling the world
The United Nations is run by Satan
The chemicals in the water turning the frogs gay
Dogs and cats living together

To be fair, chemicals do screw up with hormones; which is a major problem bringing sexual malformations in water living animals, and may be why men sperm quality is in decline since decades. Not that it's a conspiracy, just our industrial civilization poisoning everything as byproducts while working for our comforts and making profits.

Yep. My conspiracy theorist dad keeps saying they're deliberately poisoning us for a variety of reasons, including the plan to reduce the world's population by 90% but really if people get poisoned it will probably be because the polluters just didn't care, not because they were deliberately poisoning people.

Of course poisoning people due to your indifference is still bad but it's less insidious. It's not mass murder, it's mass manslaughter. Conspiracy theorists see evil everywhere and in a way they're not wrong but the problem is, that the true evils of society are the mundane evils but conspiracy theorists like to see fantastic evils. E.g. your governor might be taking bribes but the conspiracy theorist will ignore that say the governor is part of a satanic global conspiracy which has been ruling the world for the last 200 years.

We should not ignore the evils of the world just because most of them are mundane. Not all the ills of the world have to resemble something out of a Dan Brown novel.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

09 Sep 2018, 7:20 am

JohnPowell wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

No this meant to be a list of conspiracy theories, not a list of conspiracies.


I know. I was making a point to the guy who started the thread that was obviously aimed at me as he said "speak of the devil" when I posted.


It makes me laugh as some members with thinner sensitive skin would be crying to the mods about now. They are quite happy to dish it out to anyone who does not fit their model of thinking but woe betide anyone giving it back.


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 457

10 Sep 2018, 4:18 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
PearlsofWisdom wrote:
If and when they get extradited back here, will be another matter entirely


Don't believe Russia has an extradition treaty with any other country. Now they are back in Russia its likely these people will simply never be seen of heard of again.


I was never in disbelief about who committed these vile atrocities as the evidence is plain for all to see.
I don't think these military spies whether they are past or current news will 'never' be seen again so long as they are a present threat to the public. Exactly the reason why businessman Trump fired all his 60 diplomats,if indeed it was that many. More from disgruntled EU neighbours A British spy or journalist won't risk their necks to source how much the FSB are willing to go in order to project their sick cause on innocent members of the public.
It's put me off going to the Xmas Market this year or any year in Salisbury, until safe and appropriate measures for public security are barricaded properly and put in place by the civil ministry of defence. We as a whole majority should have had this from day one, not giving car owners a free stay for a pound. I await future news, but it won't be with baited breath.



Last edited by PearlsofWisdom on 10 Sep 2018, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

10 Sep 2018, 4:35 pm

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
PearlsofWisdom wrote:
If and when they get extradited back here, will be another matter entirely


Don't believe Russia has an extradition treaty with any other country. Now they are back in Russia its likely these people will simply never be seen of heard of again.


I was never in disbelief about who committed these vile atrocities as the evidence is plain for all to see.
I don't think these military spies whether they are past or current news will 'never' be seen again so long as they are a present threat to the public. Exactly the reason why businessman Trump fired all his 49 diplomats,if indeed it was that many. A British spy or journalist won't risk their necks to source how much the FSB are willing to go in order to project their sick cause on innocent members of the public.
It's put me off going to the Xmas Market this year in Salisbury, until appropriate measures are put in place.


Can you let me know what the evidence is exactly? Do you know something the world doesn't? Shopping will be fine, just don't pick up any fully wrapped perfume bottles in charity bins.


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"


PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 457

10 Sep 2018, 5:16 pm

^^I think they call it advanced CCTV footage and you shouldn't feel worried yet.. No one knows where you live. I don't think you can honestly acknowledge what anyone says unless they are being held in custody and placed at the scene of the crime,
and it's not ours is it. So their names are withheld. Don't you take into account footage? That's called incriminating evidence.
It's fine to make fictional friends but real enemy's are something else entirely and quoting someone who has said as much to you all be it, on another wavelength, should be respected for their facts and views. Maybe read more on present day happenings. You seem to be bowing to your own and not the real majority.



JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2016
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,806
Location: Palestine

10 Sep 2018, 5:36 pm

So no evidence then....

Our own government doesn't seem to know who the two men are yet they know they are Russian agents who were delivered by Putin. Never heard such garbage in my life. More outrageous than the tripe before the Iraq war.


_________________
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"