Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 2:09 pm

Statehood has become a hot topic in Puerto Rico, my homeland, as of late now that the pro-statehood party has won the elections. And after everyone's favorite president, Donald Trump, (Sarcasm) denied Ricardo Rosello of any chances of giving PR statehood, it has come to my interest to see what the opinions of other people from other countries (especially the US) think of this situation and PR as a country.

What do you think about Puerto Rico and it's (rather pathetic) attemps at statehood? Please let me know by leaving some replies. :D

-Thomas Jefferson

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 7:38 pm

I think that nothing but statehood will get Puerto Ricans the status as actual Americans in the eyes of conservatives in power. Unfortunately, those exact same conservatives will fight tooth and nail to prevent this.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 7:44 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Statehood has become a hot topic in Puerto Rico, my homeland, as of late now that the pro-statehood party has won the elections. And after everyone's favorite president, Donald Trump, (Sarcasm) denied Ricardo Rosello of any chances of giving PR statehood, it has come to my interest to see what the opinions of other people from other countries (especially the US) think of this situation and PR as a country.

What do you think about Puerto Rico and it's (rather pathetic) attemps at statehood? Please let me know by leaving some replies. :D

What about independence? Is there local sentiment in favor in independence rather than statehood?

There Are Four Lights!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 8:16 pm

We learned about Puerto Rico in 8th grade geography class, and saw a little film about their commonwealth status and how they vote on the three options at certain interval numbers of years: stay a commonwealth, or go one way and become a state, or go the opposite way and be an independent country. Status Quo always wins, and they stay in this odd commonwealth relationship with the US.

That was back in 1969.

Whatever Puerto Ricans vote for is fine with me.

In physical size only two states are smaller than PR (Delaware and Rhode Island), but PR has a bigger population than 23 existing states, and about the same population size as Connecticut. So PR would make a respectable sized state.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 12:51 am

Those who would deny them statehood will bring up all sorts of reasons, but will insist that none of it has to do with race or color. :P

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 12:57 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Those who would deny them statehood will bring up all sorts of reasons, but will insist that none of it has to do with race or color. :P

When all of us know that’s the exact reason why. It’s also why they didn’t lift a finger with hurricane “relief.”

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 12:59 am

The minute Democrats get back control of Congress and the White House, we should begin the process of admitting Puerto Rico and other territories as states. We should do a clean sweep of all our unincorporated territories, and move them toward either statehood or independence.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 5:33 am

Let us say that if the so-called «government» were being honest about Puerto Rico...

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 5:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

I was under the impression that many don't want statehood because they would have to start paying federal income taxes.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 12:35 pm

States are usually added in pairs so what other area will be a state? Maybe we can split Northern California and southern Oregon off?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 12:36 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I was under the impression that many don't want statehood because they would have to start paying federal income taxes.

Some in Hawaii want independence us since civil war once a state always a state. So Puerto Rico should consider it carefully as there’s no going back.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 1:11 pm

sly279 wrote:
States are usually added in pairs so what other area will be a state? Maybe we can split Northern California and southern Oregon off?

Split Californias? Yes, please.

Quote:
Californians likely will vote in November on a long-shot referendum to split their giant state into three – a measure that, while standing little chance of success, would represent a political gift to Democrats.

Such a California breakup would upset the political balance in the Senate if it actually happened, and hurt the GOP.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califo ... -in-senate

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 1:24 pm

My guess is that a pro-independence movement would be picking up major steam, considering the U.S.'s poor response to Maria.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 2:23 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Historically, yes. But considering Trump's response to Maria, the pro-statehood movement has picked up steam.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

-Thomas Jefferson

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 3:51 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

As an Aspie, I've found that the ability to unleash sarcasm on my enemies tends to be underdeveloped.