Media blames Trump for Media's bad reputation

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 9:32 am

I read an AP article this morning in which the article stated the obvious, that is, the fact that the public has a very negative opinion of the media. The article went on to blame Trump for it. It referenced a 24 year news reporter in California who said she was leaving the business due to the harsh reception she and others in the media receive from the public while reporting local news, etc.

Is it Trump's fault? Would the public have a positive opinion of the media if Trump hadn't kept referring to the media as "fake news"?

Think of a pathological manipulative liar in high school who is very popular. Everyone may have suspected that at times, the person lied, but assumed, for the most part that the person was telling the truth. Then, a new kid came to school that year and many kids accepted the new kid right away. The new kid became very popular, but the pathological manipulative liar hated that new kid with a passion. The pathological manipulative liar disparaged the new kid in front of others hoping to turn public opinion from the new kid back to him/her. It didn't work. The pathological manipulative liar became increasingly unhinged and sloppy in his/her lying. The lying, for the first time, became very obvious to all in both its frequency and its severity so that the other students each decided on their own, that the person was, in fact, a pathological manipulative liar and at that point rejected him/her. This rejection only emboldened the pathological manipulative liar to increase his/her negative attacks against the new kid, which the lies in turn only became more obvious.

The new kid "fought back" by publicly calling the pathological manipulative liar a liar. Once the new kid publicly declared that the pathological ,manipulative liar was a manipulative liar, the other kids became vocal about their feelings toward the pathological manipulative liar as well.

The pathological manipulative liar then blamed the new kid for turning the other kids against him/her. It was the new kid's fault since, before the new kid was in school, the pathological manipulative liar was popular and generally accepted positively by the other kids. It was not, in fact, the new kid's fault. The pathological manipulative liar was a pathological manipulative liar who lied and tried to manipulate more often and more obviously. The negative opinion other kids had of the pathological manipulative liar was the result of his/her own behavior.

That's how I see it.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 9:52 am

""At one point, he started to attack the press," Stahl said. "There were no cameras in there."

"I said, 'You know, this is getting tired. Why are you doing it over and over? It's boring and it's time to end that. You know, you've won ... why do you keep hammering at this?'" Stahl recalled.

"And he said: 'You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so that when you write negative stories about me no one will believe you.'"

-----------

The media has issues to be sure, but that has nothing to do with Trump's attacks. He loves Fox News, an organization that once sued to be able to lie on air and still call it news, and won. It's plain as day, he just wants to be able to control the narrative for his own political ends.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 9:58 am

What "issues" does the media have?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 10:02 am

Magna wrote:
What "issues" does the media have?

Nothing Trump can wrap his pea brain around. I pointed out, this is a cynical attack on facts themselves.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 10:04 am

Magna wrote:
Media blames Trump for Media's bad reputation...
... and Trump blames the Media for his bad reputation.

Until both sides look to themselves for the problems that they have caused for themselves, this topic of discussion is likely to go around and around in perpetuity.

That's how I see it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 10:05 am

Trump called the media "the enemy" from the outset. You have to admit that it's obvious he wants to limit Freedom of the Press.

Some aspects of the media have been screwy for a very long time, though----can't blame Trump for that one!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 10:09 am

AspE and Fnord: Both of you have said that the media has "issues" and "problems" respectively. Can you tell me what issues or problems you think the media has?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 10:24 am

Magna wrote:
AspE and Fnord: Both of you have said that the media has "issues" and "problems" respectively. Can you tell me what issues or problems you think the media has?
The same ones Trump has: essentially, an over-reaching sense of self-importance and an open mic.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 1:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump called the media "the enemy" from the outset. You have to admit that it's obvious he wants to limit Freedom of the Press.

Some aspects of the media have been screwy for a very long time, though----can't blame Trump for that one!

The media attacked him from the outset since the first day he thought of running. It’s quite simple attack attack attack the republican so democrats look good and win but only problem is most people don’t trust the media anymore and it goes back before trump decided to run and then seeing their anti trump s**t daily made is not trust them anymore. Media shouldn’t have a side, shouldn’t have an agenda , shouldn’t be biased, they just suppose to tell the facts and nothing else. But news real news doesn’t get ratings it doesn’t fill 24/7 time, it doesn’t fit their agenda it,doesn’t support the dnc.

No it isn’t please for the love of god don’t go all left extremest, you’re the last left leaning friend I have here

The left media lies lies lies and lies some more and when they get caught they don’t fix it or Apologize. They fake news they should be reclassified as entertainment not news. News shouldn’t care about ratings. CNN is a fiction. They might tell some actual news infor but they twist it so much and add made up stuff so that it’s a shadow of its former self. I do not trust left based news at all. I trust Fox News slightly more.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 1:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
Magna wrote:
The same ones Trump has: essentially, an over-reaching sense of self-importance and an open mic.

It started when they changed to 24/7 cycle. Then they became biased and sold out to one party or another.
Closest media I watch is local news even then they lie some times too and are pushing agenda of my states democrats.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 2:15 pm

sly279 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Magna wrote:
It started when they changed to 24/7 cycle...
It also started when they (the politicians) started taking corporate donations through super-pacs.

Some of the investors in those super-pacs have investments in the Media, too.

It may not be so much the fault of the Media or the politicians, as it is the fault of Big Money - the multi-millionaires and billionaires who want to put everyone on their payrolls and thus buy their loyalty.

Blame Trump and the Bush family? Blame Obama and the Clinton family?

No, blame the people and families behind the Big Money.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 2:48 pm

I doubt it's down to Trump for the case in the OP. California seems just about the last place people would be letting their opinions be shaped by Donald Trump.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 2:57 pm

The fact that we can't even trust our own news anymore is not a good thing. I hope you people realize that. Even though Trump was right about fake news he has only succeeded in making Americans even more paranoid and driving a bigger wedge between those that support him and those that don't.

Also I absolutely refuse to believe that Trump is a 100% honest man who only cares about his country and doesn't have a hidden agenda of his own. Just because he's very openly rude to people that does not make him a honest person.

He's going to f**k us up big time. It's only a matter of time before it happens.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm

The media in the U.S has been nothing more than a propaganda network long before Trump even considered running for president. Holy f*****g s**t! We are living in a truly absurd period in history. f**k satire, reality is more hilarious than the Onion everyday of the week.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 3:34 pm

Propaganda - information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 3:34 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
The media in the U.S has been nothing more than a propaganda network long before Trump even considered running for president. Holy f*****g s**t! We are living in a truly absurd period in history. f**k satire, reality is more hilarious than the Onion everyday of the week.

I think you're right, but Trump is going to be the spark that blows up this powder keg and it won't be pretty.

It's like that old saying about there being some things in this world that we are better off not knowing about.