Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JonPhx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2018, 3:25 am

I always dreamed of learning to do proofs of higher level Mathematical concepts. I wonder if knowing how to do these proofs would bring me closer to God. Some people say that mathmatical proofs are simply a formalized deductive rationalization of intuitively obvious truths.

My favorite branch of mathematics is also the branch that I understand at least. When I read books about Topology, I feel like I am exploring God’s creative powers. I feel like God could’ve made the universe in a much different way than he did if he wanted to.

Am I crazy? Am I chasing a red herring? Or, am I on to something meaningful?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 6:40 am

This doesn't really belong in the "General autism" section, unless you are really literally worried that you're "crazy".

No. Not crazy at all.

Galileo said "math is the alphabet by which God has written the Universe".

Many scientists and mathmaticians over the centuries were motivated by just that. Trying to get into the head of God.

Some, like Newton, were actually religious and a bit mystical.

For others "God" was a bit of a metaphor. Einstein wasn't an atheist, but he wasn't religious in the usual Judeochristian sense either (I believe in the God of Spinoza, and not the God of the Old Testament. A God who created but does not interfere with human affairs." he once said). An Einstein would say things like "God does not play dice with the Universe" so often that a fellow scientist once told him to "stop telling God what to do".

But either way (more literal, or more toward the metaphorical) its getting at some higher truth via math. Looking at creation from a Gods pov whether there really is a god, or not.

So go ahead and pursue math with that as a motivation as long as you take that motivation with a grain of salt, and not take it TOO fanatically or too literally. And don't be disappointed if your journey leads to atheism, or to some kind of theism that conflicts with your religious background( ie that you end up convinced that there is no god, or to and that there is a god be that he is a lot different from your image of god).

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 1:07 pm

You should read the autobiography of Bertrand Russell, the he greatest mathematician and philosopher of the twentieth century:

Quote:
Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty—a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show.

Quote:

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway about the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

Autonomous_Bay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2018, 5:36 pm

I think we serve God by doing what we love and sharing our gifts. Follow your conscience and listen to that without needing validation from anyone else. It takes courage to follow your own path. What you describe about math sounds great, but I don't know enough about it. I think it's a noble pursuit and awesome, but I bet others would scoff at it or try to encourage you to do something more practical with math.

Yesterday I was reading about Caetextia. Do you know what that is? Look it up if you haven't heard of it.

Caetextia is a way of thinking on the ASD spectrum. It's a top down right brain way of approaching things. Most autists are known for having detail oriented bottom up left brain styles of thought, but Caetextia is being blind to details. It reminds me of the absent minded professor. It's easier for the human brain to process information top down, but it's also going to cause an overload of stimuli which can be overwhelming. Taking a bottom up approach is less stressful to an autistic brain. However, if you are creative, discoveries and ideas feel like opium on the brain. Too many epiphanies can cause toxic reactions just as opiates can cause unwanted side effects.

Autists who have Caetextia may seem schizophrenic at times. It's important to balance left and right top down and bottom up thinking in order to not tip the scale to delusional thinking. Overly analytical left brain autists have the same potential of being delusional, but in a closed in way, not the grandiose creative way. One therapist may interpret your goal as an unrealistic pursuit. I remember wanting an autist guy on tv being interviewed about his aspirations to be a souvenir maker for a certain sports team. The journalist bust up laughing and quickly had to muffle her mouth. The autist looked sad or uncertain as if she shattered some of his confidence and deflated his dream. Doubting oppressors they are who mock the idealist who wishes to serve God, for they only seek to serve their self.

Caetextia autistics are said to have a delusional desire as his or her mission in life. I think this should be critiqued before it gets into the DSM as a symptom. I hope you don't let doubting oppressors cause you any doubt, but then that just might strengthen your faith.

JonPhx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2018, 9:22 pm

Oh my goodness, your responses are profound. Thank you. I need to reread these responses a few times.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 6:58 pm

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 8:46 pm

Someone said "math is the language of the universe"

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 11:25 am

JonPhx wrote:
I always dreamed of learning to do proofs of higher level Mathematical concepts. I wonder if knowing how to do these proofs would bring me closer to God. Some people say that mathmatical proofs are simply a formalized deductive rationalization of intuitively obvious truths.

My favorite branch of mathematics is also the branch that I understand at least. When I read books about Topology, I feel like I am exploring God’s creative powers. I feel like God could’ve made the universe in a much different way than he did if he wanted to.

Am I crazy? Am I chasing a red herring? Or, am I on to something meaningful?

Most people who pursue mathematics struggle with proofs, even when they know that which they are proving to be true, and one reason for this is, proofs are not free of subjectivity concerning how rigorous a proof should be.

For example, if one were tasked with proving 2+2 = 4, is it sufficient to merely write that expression or do we need to make this a long, drawn out matter as some have? The answer to this is not absolute but depends on who wants the proof.

There is also the issue of proofs that others just don't have the capacity to understand. If you did the proof for your sake and are content with it, fine, but what if your proof is complicated such that you need someone to help you understand it but no such person exists?

When Einstein and other great physicists made new mathematical discoveries in physics, they often did not understand the implications and had to call upon someone more gifted in mathematics than themselves to explain their own work to them. This person was Emmy Noether. But there are no new Emmy Noethers today.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2018, 11:53 am

Not explicitly. Learning mathematical proofs is merely a method to determine the aspects of the universe as set by us. In other words, mathematics was and is our tool to extract truth from the seeming chaotic nature of the universe. It will allow us to gravitate towards the truth of the reality of everything around us but that's more or less the extent of it.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 12:54 pm

Mythos wrote:
Not explicitly. Learning mathematical proofs is merely a method to determine the aspects of the universe as set by us. In other words, mathematics was and is our tool to extract truth from the seeming chaotic nature of the universe. It will allow us to gravitate towards the truth of the reality of everything around us but that's more or less the extent of it.
This is incredibly naïve; the language in which mathematical proofs are constructed is set by us, but this hardly implies that we determine the nature of the universe itself in constructing such proofs.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:07 pm

This is more physics related, but I recall reading something about the known behavior of certain subatomic particles in which, if experimentally separated by a great distance (miles from what I recall in the experiment) and the spin of one particle is changed.......the particle twin instantly alters its spin accordingly as if it's aware of the other particle it was once part of or close to. From what I recall reading, the theory was that distance was not a factor and theoretically the one subatomic particle could be transported across the universe and still since the altered spin of the other particle and instantly change in kind. I don't think I was dreaming this but I can't for the life of me remember which particle was being experimented with.

It stuck with me though because I thought if that's true, that could indicate the mechanics of God's omniscience. I also seem to recall a theory that the universe is aware of itself much like a person has a corporeal awareness of her body. The person is aware that they stub their toe, scratch their head, have a stomach ache, etc.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:36 pm

Magna wrote:
This is more physics related, but I recall reading something about the known behavior of certain subatomic particles in which, if experimentally separated by a great distance (miles from what I recall in the experiment) and the spin of one particle is changed.......the particle twin instantly alters its spin accordingly as if it's aware of the other particle it was once part of or close to. From what I recall reading, the theory was that distance was not a factor and theoretically the one subatomic particle could be transported across the universe and still since the altered spin of the other particle and instantly change in kind. I don't think I was dreaming this but I can't for the life of me remember which particle was being experimented with.

It stuck with me though because I thought if that's true, that could indicate the mechanics of God's omniscience. I also seem to recall a theory that the universe is aware of itself much like a person has a corporeal awareness of her body. The person is aware that they stub their toe, scratch their head, have a stomach ache, etc.

The phenomenon you're describing is called "quantum entanglement". The same sorts of ideas have occurred to me, though I'm not sure anyone understands the mechanism behind quantum entanglement yet. We really are clueless in the grand scheme of things.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:15 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Magna wrote:

The phenomenon you're describing is called "quantum entanglement". The same sorts of ideas have occurred to me, though I'm not sure anyone understands the mechanism behind quantum entanglement yet. We really are clueless in the grand scheme of things.

Does quantum entanglement describe subatomic particles being linked to each other even when separated or the universe being "aware" of itself?

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:46 pm

Magna wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
Magna wrote:

Does quantum entanglement describe subatomic particles being linked to each other even when separated or the universe being "aware" of itself?

That's not really an answerable question; the former is certainly true but the latter is more a question for a philosopher than a scientist at this stage.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:55 pm

Thank you. I will read up on quantum entanglement. I appreciate your comments.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 11:26 pm

Magna wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
Magna wrote:

Einstein called it "spooky action at a distance".

1. It's a statistical observance.

2. A group of greatly separated sub-atomic particles appear to maintain their relative charge at a higher probability than pure randomness. When a charge of one particle from an original group is changed, than another, a great distance away, seems to "know" it happened and updates its charge to maintain the relative charge.

3. So, it doesn't always happen, it just appears to happen more often than pure randomness.