Why do some on the right actually dislike Donald Trump?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 1:04 am

I guess it's pretty confusing. I saw some people who actually have some sympathies with right-wing ideas or politics claim to dislike Trump and use cynical language about his presidency. I know he has some personality flaws and may come off as very blowharded, but just politically and ideologically speaking he was the better alternative than if Hillary Clinton were elected.

I can understand in some way but I still get confused by it sometimes. I think Trump happened to be an inevitable alternative as far as those on the right go. Is there any reason why I should really "dislike" Trump?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 2:54 am

They do not like bullies.

Conservatives tend to be pro military and do like it when Trump called McCain a loser for getting captured.

They are into the constitution and they do not like a president who does not understand it and tries to undermine it.

They are into law enforcement and do not like Trump belittling and undermining the F.B.I.

They are into the institution of marriage and do like not a cheater who brags about assaulting women.

While Trump has some conservative policies he is not really a conservative but a radical.

They do not like a President calling Nazis “fine people”.

Partly because of Trump conservatism and the alt right is getting confused with each other and conservatives are widely thought to be either racist, sexist, homophobes or enablers of such people. Because of this confusion the reputation of anybody who identifies as conservatives or with conservatives views might be destroyed for the next generation because of yhe association with Trump and the alt right.

The backlash against Trump and marred the reputation of conservatism might not only lead liberals taking power which conservatives do not like but a seething, intorent left taking over which they dread and fear.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 5:31 am

Not all conservatives are populists, alt righters, extreme Christian fanaticists like Falwell and so on.

Some still know and remember (unlike the amnesia of the mob) that the Republican Party once took pride in upholding and defending the tenets of liberal democracy. Some are highly educated and still read books, real books, and recall informed analyses such as Hayeks, which warned of demagoguery kidnapping their base, as has happened recently, and some are no doubt ashamed of the troll tribe that slavishly serves the current regime lies, gets their "facts" from Drudge and Drudge's good friend Alex Jones. The non-populist Conservatives - with a big C - are appalled by the violent and dishonest attacks on those of the remaining "true right" who have dared to challenge the liar in the Whitehouse.

There are still some honest conservatives though the mobs' screams and slogans dominate the political noise with lies and hysteria in service of a man who truly despises losers as he would perceive the "true believers" as.

There are still some conservatives who recall and admire President Reagan for his famous plea to "tear that wall down", and despise the wall building games played by Trump.

Yes, there are still some good ones, but they know the violent attacks they can expect from the alt right trolls and other propagandists if they speak the truth of their beliefs or truth to power.

That speaking truth to power has become too dangerous for most of them should enlighten the thoughtful as to where the USA is heading.

Here is a different answer to your question from a conservative who is a never-Trumper:
ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGmuDJXL7k
He has experienced what it is to have vicious attacks aimed at him by trolls for Trump, and how.

And other responses from various conservatives re your query as to why they can't support your guiding light:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/opin ... crats.html

It may be that there are more of the dissenting Conservatives now that they have seen how low Trump has gone, appointing a man implicated in a shocking scam perpetrated on veterans for his own personal enrichment as Attorney General. Perhaps even some "true believers" felt a sick taste in the back of their throats too, and maybe some even threw up at the unforeseen extremity of the corruption Trump has brought to the institutions of Government.

Other American Conservative thinkers perceive that Trump "lives in a fantasy world" :
https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... asy-world/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 6:21 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I guess it's pretty confusing. I saw some people who actually have some sympathies with right-wing ideas or politics claim to dislike Trump and use cynical language about his presidency. I know he has some personality flaws and may come off as very blowharded, but just politically and ideologically speaking he was the better alternative than if Hillary Clinton were elected.

I can understand in some way but I still get confused by it sometimes. I think Trump happened to be an inevitable alternative as far as those on the right go. Is there any reason why I should really "dislike" Trump?

Dumb question with obvious answers.

The question you should ask "why do so many right winger SUPPORT Trump?"

Trump stomps upon American conservative values constantly, and without embarrassment.

He echoes Lenin and Stalin by declaring anyone who criticizes him to be "enemies of the people".
Its not just that he gripes about the media being against him (Agnew and Hillary and others would do their share of media bashing), he actually states it that particular way: "enemies of the people"- exactly the phrase a Marxist dictator would (and all of them did) phrase their dislike for dissent. A phrase that should trigger conservatives. Could you please tell me why American conservatives still support him after he echoes Lenin by saying "enemies of the people"?

He is not only unpatriotic, he is anti patriotic. In that thing about McCain:"I prefer people who don't get captured" he is in effect disrespecting every veteran who ever put themselves in harms way serving our country. By extention he would also "prefer people who don't get wounded or don't get killed" which means he dishonors my granddad who was wounded in action in the First world war, and he is spitting on the grave of everyone buried at Arlington cemetary. And yet he has the nerve to talk about standing for the national anthem at ball games, and he has the neve to kiss the flag at rallies. Tell me why American conservatives still support him after that.

Actually in your last sentence you kinda DID answer my question. You say that he was the only alternative to Hillary. In effect you are saying that conservatives are so hard up and desperate to defend conservatism that they are will destroy conservatism in order to rescue it ...by supporting Trump. Okay. If you say so.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 6:27 am

Reasons "right winger" may hate Trump
-He's doesn't support free trade.
-His deficits are 1 trillion dollars / year.
-He's a very strong supporter of a huge military state, Patriot Act, mass surveillance.
-He supports "big government".
-He's implementing tariffs to protect particular jobs (GM: New car prices up $5000 due to tariffs)
-He's made several statements that he doesn't support free speech ("should be able to shut down the internet", "open up libel laws" so make it easier to sue based on speech, Kaepernick kneeling expression ...)
-He's continuing Obama's strategy of using executive orders to make his own laws.
-He's dishonest.
-He's a phony Capitalist (He makes threats against companies moving jobs to Mexico).
-He could of killed the ACA cost-sharing reduction payments and make ACA "stand on it's own feet", but he hasn't.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 6:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The question you should ask "why do so many right winger SUPPORT Trump?"

Reasons "right wingers" may like Trump
-ACA mandate repealed (I had family members that hated throwing away their money away at this. Trump even indicated before the repeal that the IRS wouldn't enforce it, and before it was even legal, those family members stopped sending their money into to this). This was a poor people's tax, because poor people can't afford health insurance.

Of the 6.7 million households who chose to pay a penalty, 37 percent—2.5 million households—earned a salary less than $25,000 per year.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/majori ... dle-income

-Trump is surprisingly very pro-Christian religious groups. He invites them to the White House for meetings, and private dinners. He tried to evict trans people from the military. He says he's putting "one of them" on SCOTUS. He publicly says, "America is a Christian nation". He supports a "Muslim ban".

- Some Americans may see Democrats as supporting killing children (abortion), so that makes Trump look like an angel.

"Exit polls in 2016 showed that about 80 percent of white evangelical Christians voted for Trump".
https://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/201 ... s_sup.html

-Business owners got corporate tax cuts and pass-through tax cuts. That's a lot of money.

-Coal plants/workers revitalized (ending Obama "dirty" coal restrictions)

-Steel & aluminum plants/workers revitalized with steel & aluminum tariffs.

-Nearly everyone got tax cuts until 2025 when the individual tax cuts revert. My household got about $45,000 out of it and maybe more if they extend it.

-Illegal immigration curtailed appeasing anti-illegal immigrant issue voters.

-Military/defense contractors benefited greatly with huge increases in defense spending.

-Stock markets up 25% since Trump took office, giving everyone a good feeling with their retirement accounts. Unemployment is at a 50 year low.

-There's a lot of people that vote "R" simply because they're partisan.

-Now maybe the biggest reason .. Trump base is the "white male working class". Trump is empowerment to these people. He's called a "blue jean billionaire". He gets it. He understands their problems. He is supposedly trying to stop the evil corporations , the evil Muslims, the evil illegal immigrations, the radical Democrats from harming them. He's going to Make America Great Again!

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 6:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
They do not like bullies.

Conservatives tend to be pro military and do like it when Trump called McCain a loser for getting captured.

They are into the constitution and they do not like a president who does not understand it and tries to undermine it.

They are into law enforcement and do not like Trump belittling and undermining the F.B.I.

They are into the institution of marriage and do like not a cheater who brags about assaulting women.

While Trump has some conservative policies he is not really a conservative but a radical.

They do not like a President calling Nazis “fine people”.

Partly because of Trump conservatism and the alt right is getting confused with each other and conservatives are widely thought to be either racist, sexist, homophobes or enablers of such people. Because of this confusion the reputation of anybody who identifies as conservatives or with conservatives views might be destroyed for the next generation because of yhe association with Trump and the alt right.

The backlash against Trump and marred the reputation of conservatism might not only lead liberals taking power which conservatives do not like but a seething, intorent left taking over which they dread and fear.

Well said. Also there are many female Republicans. Regardless if you are liberal or conservative if you're a woman would you want to support any man who insults women the way he does? Any woman who is actually OK with that probably has no respect for herself.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 8:02 am

Not all Republicans are racist, misogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic, bigoted, nativist, angry primitive know-nothings motivated exclusively by ignorance, hatred, and greed.
It's just that there are so many who are, it's easy to loose sight of that fact.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 8:19 am

Piobaire wrote:
Not all Republicans are racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, nativist, angry primitive know-nothings motivated exclusively by ignorance, hatred, and greed.
It's just that there are so many who are, it's easy to loose sight of that fact.

Yup and Trump appeals to the Republicans who do fit that description.

At least it's nice to know that not every Republican likes Trump but lets never forget that they are still the ones who voted him into power.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:22 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Piobaire wrote:
Not all Republicans are racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, nativist, angry primitive know-nothings motivated exclusively by ignorance, hatred, and greed.

Yup and Trump appeals to the Republicans who do fit that description.

At least it's nice to know that not every Republican likes Trump but lets never forget that they are still the ones who voted him into power.

Only 26% of Americans voted for that Fascist son of a b***h. The one's most grievously culpable were the 42% who abrogated their civic responsibility and simply couldn't be f*****g bothered to perform their constitutional duty to the republic and their fellow citizens by going to the polls and voting.

Also, over a million people inexcusably pissed away their vote on the quixotic campaign of Tofu Palin (Jill Stein). While that's only 1% of the electorate, remember that Clinton won the popular election by 3 million votes. 4 million might have swung the Electoral College and kept that racist kleptomaniacal as*hole out of office.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:35 am

I'm against him because he came out against violent video games. Exposed himself as a complete and utter grandpa still trapped in the 80s when video games were for kids and the ESRB didn't exist. Held a meeting with video game industry leaders vs some religious soccer moms or whatever and when the meeting was over he went with the last opinion he heard which is violent video games are bad.

Strike One.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:47 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
I'm against him because he came out against violent video games. Exposed himself as a complete and utter grandpa still trapped in the 80s when video games were for kids and the ESRB didn't exist. Held a meeting with video game industry leaders vs some religious soccer moms or whatever and when the meeting was over he went with the last opinion he heard which is violent video games are bad.

Strike One.

I can think of worse things he's done. As a video game lover myself I would gladly see all video games get banned if it was a choice between that and protecting those poor endangered elephants from being legally hunted and killed and brought back to the U.S. as trophies.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 10:00 am

Some Republicans don't like Trump because they are "conservatives"----they don't want somebody who "rocks the boat" like he does. They don't want somebody who is poised to press the Nuclear Button at a moment's notice.

People in places like the FBI, CIA, and Pentagon really don't like the man at all.....

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 10:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Some Republicans don't like Trump because they are "conservatives"----they don't want somebody who "rocks the boat" like he does. They don't want somebody who is poised to press the Nuclear Button at a moment's notice.

People in places like the FBI, CIA, and Pentagon really don't like the man at all.....

If that were really true I think the CIA would quietly have him assassinated.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 10:20 am

The CIA doesn't want the scandal, that's all

Check out all those FBI directors who really dislike him. The people in the intelligence services really don't like him. They think he's a loose cannon. They don't believe he knows how to keep secrets. They think he's a blabbermouth who might, inadvertently, really say the wrong thing.