3 great untruths to stop telling kids—and ourselves

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 9:44 am

Jonathan Haidt on Big Think. Run-time: 5:44

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Oct 2018, 4:06 pm

The embedded video didn't work for me but I found it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGH97DQzA4

Point 1) is that children are antifragile. My understanding of the term is rather different to Haidt's so I probably understood it wrong. I've only read The Black Swan, and indeed it seems Taleb writes more generally in Antifragile. I digress. Anyway, Haidt says that by protecting children from "conflicts, insults, teasing, and exclusion", we are making them weaker - these things are somehow strengthening for children. I think Haidt is probably simplifying for the video. It is plausible that there is a point at which protectiveness becomes counter-productive, but I also think there's probably a point at which it is beneficial - for example, children who are driven to suicide by bullying are in need of extra protectiveness. It's not immediately clear what the optimum level is.

2) is that emotions are not infallible. I don't think this is remotely controversial, at least outside of folk wisdom. Certainly I find Haidt's claim that it is a mainstream belief on college campuses that feelings and beliefs should never be questioned to be rather ridiculous. I mean, isn't there a big outrage on American college campuses because young people are challenging conservative feelings and beliefs that have previously been taken for granted?

3) is that people are not necessarily "good" or "bad". This is a very sensible point. Again, I do think the focus on college campuses is a bit weird, and seems indicative of Haidt pushing an agenda which is not evidence-based, but this is a human tendency which we must all fight against if we are to make sensible decisions.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 4:51 pm

I wonder sometime... when I was a kid/teenager, my parents "knew" how things worked, and my teachers "knew" how things worked, and when I was angry and called them hypocrits, they would smack me or give me bad grades or called me stupid etc. - all in an effort to civilize me.
Now that I'm older, recorgnize that they knew very little, and only pretended to know/ thought they knew, in order to reproduce the status quo. - well, just how cultures have always reproduced themselves.
Except, by now, parents/teachers/media all disagree on everything, and there really is no proper consesus on how to behave, how the world works (and for the benefit of whom) and how to solve conflicts...

in my example, I mentioned that when I grew up, it was still okay to smack your children to show them their place - which has soon after become unacceptable behaviour. I have no idea how to discipline children, - I do know not to do what my parents did. I think parents and teachers today are lost. They need to figure out how to do things, risking that 5 years from now, they will be called barbaric/selfish/neglectful etc. ... teachers need to navigate the same minefield, or some parent sues them... it's really not clear how to do things anymore...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 5:17 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
The embedded video didn't work for me but I found it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGH97DQzA4

I wonder if it's WP's codec. If you quote my OP you'll see the identical link.

The_Walrus wrote:
Point 1) is that children are antifragile. My understanding of the term is rather different to Haidt's so I probably understood it wrong. I've only read The Black Swan, and indeed it seems Taleb writes more generally in Antifragile. I digress. Anyway, Haidt says that by protecting children from "conflicts, insults, teasing, and exclusion", we are making them weaker - these things are somehow strengthening for children. I think Haidt is probably simplifying for the video. It is plausible that there is a point at which protectiveness becomes counter-productive, but I also think there's probably a point at which it is beneficial - for example, children who are driven to suicide by bullying are in need of extra protectiveness. It's not immediately clear what the optimum level is.

As a kid nearly driven to suicide, and driven to several attempts serious enough to land me in the hospital in my teens, I'd agree that there's a tipping point past which what would have 'made you stronger' comes in high enough dose, constantly and without reprieve, enough to make you weaker. It's one of the things that grieves me about public narratives though, there's little place for nuance.

The_Walrus wrote:
Again, I do think the focus on college campuses is a bit weird, and seems indicative of Haidt pushing an agenda which is not evidence-based, but this is a human tendency which we must all fight against if we are to make sensible decisions.

You'd probably need familiarity with his background. He founded Heterodox Academy and he has something like 1,300+ academics as members including Brett Weinstein. You may or may not be familiar with The Righteous Mind from 2012, that was one of his books detailing how tribalism and confirmation bias effect culture. He's one of those people as well who used to identify as properly left but drifted to center-left and seems to be trying as well to get leftists to understand conservatives, conservatives to understand leftists, and by and large he uses something reminiscent of the Big 5 however it's more along the pallet of what various groups consider sacred or central objects.

Who knows though, I'd say check him out more and let us know what other things you find.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 5:23 pm

shlaifu wrote:
I wonder sometime... when I was a kid/teenager, my parents "knew" how things worked, and my teachers "knew" how things worked, and when I was angry and called them hypocrits, they would smack me or give me bad grades or called me stupid etc. - all in an effort to civilize me.
Now that I'm older, recorgnize that they knew very little, and only pretended to know/ thought they knew, in order to reproduce the status quo. - well, just how cultures have always reproduced themselves.
Except, by now, parents/teachers/media all disagree on everything, and there really is no proper consesus on how to behave, how the world works (and for the benefit of whom) and how to solve conflicts...

in my example, I mentioned that when I grew up, it was still okay to smack your children to show them their place - which has soon after become unacceptable behaviour. I have no idea how to discipline children, - I do know not to do what my parents did. I think parents and teachers today are lost. They need to figure out how to do things, risking that 5 years from now, they will be called barbaric/selfish/neglectful etc. ... teachers need to navigate the same minefield, or some parent sues them... it's really not clear how to do things anymore...

Yeah, it's a constant walk on legal egg-shells.

I too have gotten the sense that most 'NT's don't know what's going on, they more or less fake it till they make it and whatever works sort of just slots into place without them necessarily knowing how. Sometimes I think a lot of us can help in assisting that bridging process, ie. identifying the how and why, because most of us had no such luck - we were told to just slot thing in, we tried and failed miserably.

As for the future - I think some of the forest of red tape that we created will need to be partially gnawed through, not so much so that parents can smack kids or break out the belt but more in figuring out how competence and hierarchy can reassert themselves to the degree needed to keep society going. Certain things we've changed, especially in the rights areas, are progress but at the same time there's the need to give people stable enough environments to where they can feel like they can knock on something solid that won't dematerialize after a few new memes or hashtags hit it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 2:31 pm

The_Walrus wrote:

2) is that emotions are not infallible. I don't think this is remotely controversial, at least outside of folk wisdom. Certainly I find Haidt's claim that it is a mainstream belief on college campuses that feelings and beliefs should never be questioned to be rather ridiculous. I mean, isn't there a big outrage on American college campuses because young people are challenging conservative feelings and beliefs that have previously been taken for granted?

3) is that people are not necessarily "good" or "bad". This is a very sensible point. Again, I do think the focus on college campuses is a bit weird, and seems indicative of Haidt pushing an agenda which is not evidence-based, but this is a human tendency which we must all fight against if we are to make sensible decisions.

I disagree with points 1 and 2. I do think children need to be protected from bullying, part of this is teaching children how to cope with this when subjected to it and part of this is teaching bullies that their behavior will not be tolerated.

Emotions are always valid. What is not always valid is one's perception of a situation. I recently told my mother it was not a good time for her to visit because I didn't have any money to give her. She was initially hurt because she thought I was implying that she was only coming out to get money rather than to visit me, and that is a valid reason to feel hurt when that is not one's intention. However her interpretation of the situation was invalid because I had actually meant that I did not have money for gas or parking to facilitate her visit.

I do think it's important though to teach children a sense of realism though. Bullying is not ok but one might be bullied. Feelings are always valid but you might be wrong. Life should be fair but it isn't always.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 7:10 pm

The way people use the word bullying is such a wide range though, that's the problem. Should they be protected from getting physically assaulted? Sure. Should they be kept safe from insults? I think this is where it's heading into the gray area. There's a point not too much further past this where conflict resolution skills don't get developed because they're sheltered from conflict.

I don't think its anything like an all-or-nothing proposition, it shouldn't be. What I think he is stating is that there is such a thing as over-sheltering kids and that it might indeed happen at an earlier threshold than what a lot of people these days might intuit.