Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 5:49 am

I know I've said many times before that I consider myself to be an atheist but I had an interesting conversation with another man talking about things like angels. He was a christain and he told me he believes in a quote from the bible about remembering to be kind to strangers because sometimes they may be angels sent to earth disguised as humans. He told me an interesting story about one time when he was driving through an impoverished black neighborhood in Chicago and he was feeling nervous because a lot of crime happened there. While stopping he saw a black man on the street but all this man did was give him a friendly smile and flash him a peace sign. He said it made him think a lot about the fact that we are all really one big human family and it's a shame how differences in things like our skin color has divided us up so much. He thinks that this could have been God's way of telling him that we are all his children no matter what our skin color is and to not judge others based on that.

That made me think of an interesting experience I had a few years ago. I always go for three mile walks up the road from my house past these little stores. I do it either for exercise or when I have too much on my mind. One time I went for a long walk and this was when I was suffering the really bad side effects of Bipolar Disorder and I was depressed all the time because my only friend had passed away and things were really bad at home between me and my Mom. My life was falling apart and I was giving into despair and felt that I hated everybody including myself for a long time. I was also suicidal and had attempted it a couple of times. But while walking past these stores this older hispanic man walked up to me and handed me a plantain without saying anything and walked away.

I couldn't figure out why he did that? I don't look homeless or like somebody who is starving. But maybe he could somehow sense what I was going through and he just wanted to offer me a small token of kindness? Maybe somebody out there was looking out for me that day and trying to send me a message not to give up on humanity because there are still kind people in this world who would do something nice even for a total stranger?

It does kind of make you think doesn't it? I never really thought about it until having that conversation.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Oct 2018, 6:08 am

Do we really need angels to explain some strangers sensitive and caring enough to do such gestures?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 6:15 am

magz wrote:
Do we really need angels to explain some strangers sensitive and caring enough to do such gestures?

I guess not. But in this crazy world of ours nobody trusts anybody anymore because of all the horrible things we hear about. It's nice that there can still be good people in this world who are kind to strangers despite all this. It makes me feel less cynical and pessimistic.

Regardless if you want to believe in angels or see it as good samaritans it feels good to know that there are really nice people out there even during the worse of times.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 10:03 am

They're not necessarily even a Christian phenomena nor a near-eastern one. The jumping off point perhaps is to explore concepts of panpsychism and animism.

Gordon White recently had Peter and Alkistis on again from Scarlet Imprint (the video titled Halloween Special) where they talk about their move to Cornwall, England, the oddities of the weather there (ie. the semi/dem-tropical aspects), and Peter does launch into a bit of discussion about his study and work with angels and what he's gleaning both from studying the renaissance work and doing his own experiments. Gordon asked him what myths he was hoping to dispel about angels and he replied that it's the notion that angel magic is exclusively a province of wealthy people through the renaissance attempting to swing political power or nation-build. They also did something interesting in saying that, in their minds, angels technically are the weather and that the 'principalities of the air' thing is quite accurate.

I get that these kinds of abstractions tend to leave most people cold (and I might be thread-killing just by saying something that isn't a prepackaged popular position here) but I think it also helps underscore just how degenerate, off the mark, and generally bankrupt the dichotomy question of 'Is it all dead/unconscious matter or is the bible the literal and infallible history and science book of God?' that almost all popular discussions of these things in the west gets framed around actually is.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 10:10 am

magz wrote:
Some people do, and they're usually the same people who believe that there are no coincidences, that everything happens for a reason, and that people are guilty of the sins of their ancestors.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 10:17 am

Well speaking of weather, I also think about the fact that everybody in my family has always had really good luck when it comes to bad storms like hurricanes and tornados. And I seriously do mean that. No matter where we are we have never had our houses destroyed by a tornado or had a tree fall on top of us or had a flood in our house. Even when that has happened to other people in our neighborhoods.

The thing is my family is not religous and yet it seems amazing how that always happens. If "God" or whatever you want to call it does exist I like to believe that that he looks out for us in different ways and maybe we just don't realize it at the time. Even if we don't believe in him and we aren't Christains he might still watch out for us regardless. Who knows? Maybe all Gods and Goddesses are real and do the same things for us.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 2:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
Some people do, and they're usually the same people who believe that there are no coincidences, that everything happens for a reason, and that people are guilty of the sins of their ancestors.

Everything does happen for a reason. Physics. :rabbit:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 9:34 am

In other religions there are stories of Gods and Goddesses that come to earth disguised as humans either to help a person or to warn them of a disaster.

Like for example Pele in the Hawaiian culture who was the Goddess of Volcanoes. There were stories of her doing very harsh and cruel things to people whenever she was angered but there were also stories of her coming to help people and she would either be disguised as a beautiful young woman or an elderly woman. One of the things she did was try to warn people of oncoming disasters and even though Hawaii gave up their old religion when they converted to Christainity there are still Hawaiians who believe that she is very real and that she continues to visit the island to help or warn people.

I know Christains believe that every religion except their own is fake but then there are other religions like Wicca which believe that all deities in the world are real including Christ. I think there has to be some truth to every religion. It's like puzzles that are missing some of the peices.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 9:23 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Everything does happen for a reason. Physics.
"Everything happens for a reason" implies that there is an intelligent cause behind ordinary physical events.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Oct 2018, 10:54 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Everything does happen for a reason. Physics. :rabbit:

Some things are purely random. Quantum physics.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 2:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"Everything happens for a reason" implies that there is an intelligent cause behind ordinary physical events.

In that case perhaps nothing happens for a reason. We're still in search of intelligence.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 2:44 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
In that case perhaps nothing happens for a reason. We're still in search of intelligence.
In the search for intelligence in our galaxy, shouldn't they first start with Earth?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 2:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
In the search for intelligence in our galaxy, shouldn't they first start with Earth?

Not if there's no good evidence for it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 7:18 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Not if there's no good evidence for it.

come on! we have hoverboards.
which don't hover and stretch the imagination of what qualifies as a "board". but we have holograms! ...

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 8:41 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
It does kind of make you think doesn't it?

It makes me think a person saw you and you were obviously distraught, so they gave a plantain to you to make you feel better.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 9:16 pm

shlaifu wrote:
come on! we have hoverboards.
which don't hover and stretch the imagination of what qualifies as a "board". but we have holograms! ...

Well, if you're clever enough no one has to know you have a magnetic track right!